Gasoline from the East.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings.

In California, where I was original from; they had Chevron, and it was consider the best 87 octane from the West. Now in New Jersey, what is consider good or equivalent to Chevron?

I understand that Top-Tier gas brands are good, but it is true, that not all brands consider Top Tier is good. Costco and Arco gas are not good in my experience.

Please kindly share your experiences. Keep in mind, these is regarding regular 87 octane only.

Shell...

I like costco gas. Wawa gas does fine by me as well.

Amoco used to be considered by many to be the best. Crystal clear gasoline. Then they went away, BP bought them, now Ive seen a few stations popping up with Amoco colors.

My father swears that BP gas gives him better MPGs. And he logs every tank. BP and Amoco are likely the same gas.

And all brands come primarily from the refineries along the Turnpike and the Paulsboro refinery in South Jersey along 295. So dont think in NJ or CA, that a specific brand gas comes from a different place...

Originally Posted by ammolab
A LOT of us like COSTCO gasoline myself included.

What was your reason for the "not good" vote?

I get bad gas mileage from Costco gas. I heard they put more detergent ratio to gas so it burns more, hence bad fuel economy.

Costco is where we go and if not Costco then to Hele (formerly Tesoro now Par Petroleum). Both are Top Tier. Right now regular is $2.99/gal so Costco is where we go for cheap gas.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Shell...

I like costco gas. Wawa gas does fine by me as well.

Amoco used to be considered by many to be the best. Crystal clear gasoline. Then they went away, BP bought them, now Ive seen a few stations popping up with Amoco colors.

My father swears that BP gas gives him better MPGs. And he logs every tank. BP and Amoco are likely the same gas.

And all brands come primarily from the refineries along the Turnpike and the Paulsboro refinery in South Jersey along 295. So dont think in NJ or CA, that a specific brand gas comes from a different place...

Shell I see a hit and miss with some people, complaining bad performance/bad mpg.

Isn't Arco and BP the same company? Arco is not good, but unsure if BP is good.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Then they went away, BP bought them, now Ive seen a few stations popping up with Amoco colors.

AFAIK, BP's 93 octane has always been called AMOCO Ultimate if I remember correctly. They wanted to keep the panache of the name.

I only use Wawa gas. Whatever they source. That's what we use.

When im in the NE USA I usually tend to go for Mobil first followed by Shell. No real reasoning though, besides seat of my pants feel. Never noticed much difference though. I used to dislike Costco gas too but lately it seems to be as good as any other.

In NY/NJ I see many Exxon/Mobil and Sunoco stations.

There is also BJ's gas, Costco, Cumberland Farms, Stewarts, Stop & Shop.

I go to Pride in MA since I am often there for work, the owner tells me its equivalent to a top tier, not a discount gas. I buy diesel there mostly.

Gulf stations on the MASS Pike.

I do not think you can go wrong with Exxon/Mobil. If you use their credit card it will discount 6 cents a gallon off the price on the statement.

When I travel outside Chevron territory, my fuel choices are first, Shell, second Exxon/Mobil. After that, I just try to find a Top Tier gas station. I don't have any problems with Costco fuel, but it's not always convenient to the highway.

I get the same mpgs with all the top tier gas and if I use 0 Alcohol gas i get a solid 1 mpg increase. Top tier gas is gas.

Originally Posted by Donald
In NY/NJ I see many Exxon/Mobil and Sunoco stations.

There is also BJ's gas, Costco, Cumberland Farms, Stewarts, Stop & Shop.

I go to Pride in MA since I am often there for work, the owner tells me its equivalent to a top tier, not a discount gas. I buy diesel there mostly.

Gulf stations on the MASS Pike.

I do not think you can go wrong with Exxon/Mobil. If you use their credit card it will discount 6 cents a gallon off the price on the statement.

I've been researching about Exxon. Seems to be a good choice. Haven't tried Sunoco. Both are top-tier gas brands however.

I like the discount stations? Why because its cheaper and I worked one summer at station. The fuel in tanks was nothing more then ends of Top Tier branded fuel tankers that did not want to return to Boston partially full. Occasionally premium was in our regular pumps tanks.

My wife and I have every vehicle to the 200k+ range not a single one has had a fuel problem.

Last edited:
Here in Western New York, Noco is a pretty popular fuel chain with quality fuels. Their diesel fuel is liked by many especially during the winter months.

Also there are a lot of Kwik Fills. Then your usual Mobil/Sunoco's here and there. No BP, no Shell, no Chevron, and very few Exxon (maybe only one I've ever seen is East Aurora/Elma area).

I also like the Iriving reservation, always fill up at Catt-Rez. Been using 87 and 93 from there for years.

Any more East Coast friends would like to share ?
smile.gif

I use a lot of Valero gas, cheapest station in town and Top Tier.
Sunoco is probably my second most used gas also Top Tier, and there is a station right down the road.
Mobil is everywhere, and also good Top Tier gas, but usually the most expensive in town.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back