What mileage on a vehicle starts making you nervous?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It used to be cars were getting pretty worn out by 100,000 miles. Now cars often can easily reach the 200,000 + mark and still have no major issues.

For me I would say 150,000 miles starts to make me nervous. My Marquis is getting close to that now.

I don't have a limit. If it's still running well and feels good, it's fine by me. If things start to break, then it's time to consider something else.

I usually don't put the mileds on my vehicles but 20 years ids the limit. I get no joy is working on vehicles anymore.

I'm with ZZMan....back in the 80's and 90's.....100K was my upto comfy zone. But took 2 Accords way past that and actually had a 90 cutlass ciera with the 3.3 V6 that went to 220K and sold it. I'd probably say 200K now.

I kept my last car for 23 years and 353,000 miles (I wrecked it). At some point you start feeling like the next large repair will be the last. My plan with the current vehicle is 10 years or 150,000 miles and then get a new one. But, if I am not having any issues I might push that out until the first major expense. At some point things like AC compressors, PS pumps, suspension components, etc. start to wear out no matter how good the car is. Then, you have to decide if it's worth the money, time, and trouble to be taking care of those things. When I was younger there was no question since I did everything myself. Now I am less enthused about spending my free time wrenching.

Age bothers me, not miles- mine and the cars
smile.gif

You'd probably have to define "nervous" as that can be taken in a few ways...I'd agree that the 100,000 mile usage of a car is not really a benchmark for anything and hasn't been for some time.

IMO, longevity will have more to do with the specific vehicle and how it's maintained than the specific mileage so there's not a blanket answer. If you're asking when things typically start to fail to the extent of wanting to get rid of it, I'd say that typically wouldn't occur until after the 150,000 mile mark. A low mileage vehicle that's 12-14 years old will make me as nervous as a newer one with 150K miles on it.

My 2010 Accord is nearing 200k miles. It only really gets driven on the highways on the weekends....so it still rides really well (suspension, steering, etc. etc.)
The only thing I've done to it is maintenance (oil changes, ATF D/F's, coolant flushes, fresh PS fluid every year, spark plugs, tires, and brakes)

Since this car is used for long excursions, I was wondering the same thing: How many miles will the odometer read before I begin to question whether or not this Honda will get me there and back???

Based on what I'm seeing, I'll guess around 300k miles I might begin to get a bit nervous. But right now, she's a solid ship.

2010 Honda Accord.jpg

About 160,000 is the most we have gotten out of a car . It was the transmission that went out . Which would have cost more to repair than the car was worth .

You all are correct . The cars of the 1960's were burning significant oil by 100,000 miles .

One problem is , modern cars contain a lot of plastic . Plastic begins to go bad with age , no matter how good of condition the metal is in .

Thankfully , I do not live in the rust / salt belt . That is a whole " nuther " issue .

Depends on the vehicle and how it's driven. My '04 Corolla now has almost 360K and it's still running and driving just fine. It uses a bit of oil, but that's to be expected with this many miles. My wife's last vehicle, an '03 Mazda MPV, was 13 years old and had just a little over 100K on it when we got rid of it. It was in worse shape than my Corolla is, though mechanically it was still sound. The body was falling apart from rust. Drivetrain wise it probably would've gone at least another 100K. My wife now has a '15 Sienna and we plan on keeping it until 1) it starts rusting out so bad that it's an embarrassment to be seen in or 2) it mechanically starts falling apart. I take pretty good care of our vehicles so hopefully that will be many years down the road...

For me, it really depends on the vehicle/powertrain, how it's used, and how well it has been maintained.

I'd have no qualms about my 2010 Fusion at even 400,000 miles..

.. but I'd be VERY nervous about a 2000 Chrysler Concorde with 100,000 miles, unless it had been meticulously maintained and serviced.

A Grand Marquis worn out at 150k? Around here when the Crown Vics (same car) were sold off by the cops after a hard life, the independent taxi drivers would be lined up to buy them at auction. Front engine, bulletproof trans, rear wheel drive= easily a ton of miles left. Keep the oil changed & don't overheat it & you probably have another 150k left

Originally Posted by 928
A Grand Marquis worn out at 150k? Around here when the Crown Vics (same car) were sold off by the cops after a hard life, the independent taxi drivers would be lined up to buy them at auction. Front engine, bulletproof trans, rear wheel drive= easily a ton of miles left. Keep the oil changed & don't overheat it & you probably have another 150k left

Agreed on everything except the trans being bulletproof. I'd say most abused cop cars have had the tranny rebuilt by 200k. Otherwise excellent vehicles - have owned two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back