OEM vs aftermarket question...help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi to all,

This is my first post. This seems like a great forum!

My question: I have a 2000 Honda Accord EX 2.3L VTEC w/ manual trans. I recently purchased the car used from the original owner. He changed the oil religously but NEVER changed the air filter. The car still has the original filter which is 3 years old and has 71,000 miles on it.

Obviously, I'm ready to change the air filter ASAP. I'm wondering whether to go with the Honda part from my dealer or go with a quality aftermarket part like NAPA, etc.?

The dealer wants $28.49 for the Honda part and I'm sure I can get aftermarket for less $.
This being said, I'm willing to pay more for the better filter.

I'm only interested in paper filters (no K&N, etc.)

You guys seem to know a lot more than me on this subject so...FIRE AWAY!
smile.gif

Thanks,

Brian

Brian,

Try baldwin if you have a dealer close you can go to. they make heavy duty truck filters. I am using their air filters and they have a very good build quality.

website for lookup

www.baldwinfilter.com

Hope this helps.

Dan

welcome.gif
As you can tell,you'll find a lot of great information here.
I would have no problem getting an aftermarket filter.In fact I would look at what Purolator or Fram has at your local auto parts store,or even a Wal-Mart.No need to spend dealer prices whan you don't have to.

[ August 12, 2003, 09:17 AM: Message edited by: Chris 2421 ]

I'd agree - even the Fram filter is worth a look. I haven't had any problems with their air filters. Oil filters is another story...

most all filters are not manufactured by the oem's .For my toyota I have purchased oem and several aftermarket brands and the markings on thr frame of the filters are the same .

quote:

Originally posted by ALS:
Just do a Google search and several aftermarket Honda parts companys should come up.

It may not be worthwhile if he just wants an air filter, because they tend to charge a lot for S&H. On the order I just received from one of them (Majestic), it was something like $5 handling and $8 freight. I was getting a clutch master cylinder and some other parts, so it was worth it, but for small stuff it's not always the best idea.

I keep a list of non-urgent small items that I need, so that when I order something big, I can tack them on. I got some new brake pad shims and a spark plug wire clip, for example, in that last order. Drain plug washers, interior trip clips and screws, and stuff like that is good, too. Not so much because of the cheaper prices online, but I feel like an idiot asking for this little junk at the parts counter!

i noticed that the new accord filters look like cotton..just like the new toyota tacoma filters. but then fram is more like paper..kinda ugly i think.

u can try baldwin...but concidering the price gee...compare and contrast =)

NAPA Online shows their Napa Gold filter @ $17.59 for your application.
I run nothing but Napa Gold filters now that I've seen how much more media they have than a Purolator counterpart (the filters I was using previously).

I am also a Napa Gold filter guy. When I looked at all the filters and compared it was clear the Napa Gold was a cut above Fram and Purolator. Milage went up 2-3mpg with the Napa Gold over the OEM Miata filter. You can actually tell the filter is less restrictive from the sound the car makes. I haven't done a UOA on the oil for how well it filters but it flows better than the OEM
for sure.

Find something less expensive but compare before you buy. The Fram filters I've looked at for GM vehicles have very little surface area (less pleats) compared to the AC Delco, and the paper just doesn't feel as nice either (not that that's very scientific).

thanks everybody for your help!
i think i'm going to go with the NAPA Gold filter...it seems like good quality for a reasonable price.

Brian

I don't think anyone here has proven that filters like Fram/Purolator etc have given worse Used Oil Analysis. I just use those types. I get sick of tired getting raped by the dealer.

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
I don't think anyone here has proven that filters like Fram/Purolator etc have given worse Used Oil Analysis. I just use those types. I get sick of tired getting raped by the dealer.

When I switched from a K&N air filter to a Purolator, my Si dropped to 4 ppm in 3,600 miles, which I think is respectable (and only 28% of what the K&N allowed). A lot of the driving was in the desert, so there's a good bit of dust in the air. Patman also reported good Si numbers from a Fram air filter, as I recall.

It could well be that the OEM filters are even better, but I don't think there's room for tremendous improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back