Ever paid cash for a new car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not me. Have always had to finance or lease. Could/can barely ever save up money as life happens...

Yes, since 86, I put 200 in savings every month, and keep car or truck until it is worn out. or I have enough in the account to buy another new one, including sales tax. Much less expensive.

I have a friend that sells cars, tells me he is GLAD most folks are not like me. But he will still sell me a vehicle when I am ready.

BTW my house is paid for too.

Rod

Last edited:
Define "new".

New to me? Yes. Many times. Cash works wonders when negotiating a price.

I've only bought two brand new cars in my life. Both required financing.

Only paid cash for a 79 fully loaded Caprice [305] off the showroom floor for 4200 bucks. It was one of the best vehicles I owned.

That's the only way we've bought a vehicle since 1989. Having said that, we always drove our vehicles until they weren't worth fixing. We also up to that time lived well below our means until we had reached our financial goals of being debt free. That milestone for us came to fruition in 1989. I don't consider us "wealthy" by any means but we are debt free and haven't borrowed a penny for anything since. Our station in life now requires us to evaluate every non-essential purchase as being necessary or not. Funny thing to me is that although our credit rating is very good, it's not as high as it could be since we carry no debt.

Last edited:
Yes, my last three vehicles but not until I was in my forties. It's all about living within your means and setting yourself up for the future.

I drove poo boxes for the first 4 years of my career until I had saved and had a salary commensurate with buying new on a 3 year loan. After that initial sacrifice you can keep that rolling with more and more manageable loans if you're wise with your choices.

Bought a 2015 Chevy Sonic new . Paid for it with a check .

Bought 2 used cars with cash down and short term note , which was paid off with in 30 days . Giving time to cash out some investments .

Would have been better to wait a week and write a check , but sometimes it is better to strike then , when you find ( what seems like a good / great deal , to you ) a deal .

Bought my wife's 2009 Kia Sorento with cash... Sorta. That time, my bank was doing a double points thing with their Visa. I put enough money in my checking account and went to the dealer to pay for the car. They had a fit and would only do it as a debit or they would have had to pay a fee. I ended up going back the next day with a bank check.
She's about due for a new car again. See what kind of fun I can have this time. I HATE car salesmen.

Me and wife make enough we could. But instead we buy used in full and the rest of our money goes into our investment accounts.
Our current car cost 26k after everything (price of car, taxes, tags, etc...). So not like we are slumming it but we live below our means.

Depends on the interest rate. I financed 100% of my Liberty @ 0% less the deposit which went on the credit card that got me points.

I never have, but we are working towards becoming debt free (minus the house) so in the future I'd like to do so for our next purchase.

Yes, both cars in my signature. I also paid cash for my custom built home on 5 acres. My wife and I are high income earners with no children.

Paid cash for my last two cars which were a year or two old. Got a $500 check for a '13 Kia Rio if I financed through Kia credit. Paid it off in six months which was the minimum to get the rebate. Can't understand people who finance a depreciating product for six or seven years. As soon as a car salesman says you can have this for $xxx a month, I run because it means the dealership caters to suckers.

Plan on the Rio being the last new car I buy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CARJ
I never have, but we are working towards becoming debt free (minus the house) so in the future I'd like to do so for our next purchase.

being debt free is wonderful!

Although I finance because interest rates are ridiculously low I could buy it cash but would rather keep the money in investments.

Yes except for first car burned with 11% interest. and unfortunately had to finance half my wife's $27k 2018 VE Tiguan although 2.5% interest rate. We plan on paying rapidly once daughter is in public kindergarten next year full day with the $9k in hand from lack of preschool and child care costs.

If you pay cash for vehicle you buy what you can afford. My parents always paid cash for cars and tended to buy new base models every 10-15 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back