My son called last night!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CT8

My son teaches math at a university and was telling me the best hardest working student he had was an
Ex Marine [ Is there ever an ex?] that flew an Osprey and wanted an advanced degree to become an Arline pilot. I Had to point out that your student didn't get to fly the Osprey because of his good looks and charm.

I am under the impression that flight school is the fastest way to getting pilots certifications. I realize that the Marine has experience in a tilt rotor craft and that should clear away many prerequisite hurdles for that fixed wing/multi engine/jet requirement that airlines have.

An Osprey had to make an emergency landing at our local airport a few years ago, sat for a couple of days until parts could be brought in. Such an odd aircraft that can complete a wide range of missions. Mil pilots are usually highly motivated type A, was your son surprised?

I too teach at various local universities and the better students in terms of comprehension, motivation, and grades in no specific order are:

Returning (mature) students, Military students, Farm boys and girls.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
An Osprey had to make an emergency landing at our local airport a few years ago, sat for a couple of days until parts could be brought in. Such an odd aircraft that can complete a wide range of missions. Mil pilots are usually highly motivated type A, was your son surprised?
My son was most impressed and spoke highly of the student .

It takes a certain skill to operate something like this. They ain't normal
smile.gif

Osprey 1.jpg

Osprey 2.jpg

It's VTOL but that's where the similarities end. Osprey are used for troop transport. Twenty-five first class seats with all the amenities and your choice of pre-departure beverage.

Most military pilot types already have a 4-year degree, possibly not all helo types. Once one has ANY 4 year degree, the focus shifts to flight time and ratings. Most can start up the ladder now with 1000-1500 hours, depending.

I knew this guy years back with his aeronautical engineering degree talking abut his future astronaut prospects. He did stumble through some flight training, then went somewhat sideways. Just saying, operating aircraft with some ADM sprinkled in is a different skill set from technical classroom studies.

This is not to take away from any individual mentioned above, just some generalities. I've been around aviation since 1985.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back