Valvoline Modern Engine 5W30, 3,953 Miles OCI, 2017 Infiniti VR30DDTT Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
2017 Infiniti Q60 Red Sport AWD

13,520 Vehicle Miles

As Blackstone Labs has commented, this oil sample had the lowest amount of wear metals since the car was new. Many performance mods, including intake, exhaust and tune. Recently tested on a Dynojet AWD Dyno @ 437 WHP & 502 WTQ (93 Octane).

I am currently running the same oil brand & viscosity along with the OEM filter, just turning 17k miles on the car. My next OCI is planned for 18k miles.

17 Q60S.jpg

Last edited:
That spike in fuel dilution from May looked bad. Still probably washing it out with this current sample.

With those dyno numbers, the car is probably a Blast to drive.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Just a tiny bit of moly, and looks pretty much otherwise a LOW-SAPS oil

I'd like to speculate it could be a C2 oils, delivering good metal wear rates with extended drain intervals potentials.

With only 13K miles on the engine the reducing metals could be the end of break-in and not better lubrication.

Between the 2nd and 3rd oci you went 500 miles longer and still had lower metals across the board.

This time you went less than 4000 miles an the trend continues. I would not yet say its the ME oil that made the numbers look good.

Nice numbers, dyno and sample. I would be running the most robust oil I could AND still comply with factory warranty.

There are expensive additives that will now show up in a UOA in the modern low and mid saps oils. The auto makers will be going towards such oils in the U.S. and Canada.

The reason for the calcium reduction are the new d1G2 and SN+ certifications that became effective during this time period.

The VME looks good. There are organic friction modifiers that do not show on a regular analysis. Your engine is breaking in nicely. I would go with 5000 miles oci.

You generally get what you pay for with oil and being VME is quite expensive (about the same price as Mobil 1 AP), I assume there are unique ingredients in this oil.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Your calcium content was cut almost in half. What was the previous high calcium oil you were using?

Castrol Edge 5W30. Previous to that was Pennzoil Platinum 0W20 and FF.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Your engine is breaking in nicely. I would go with 5000 miles oci.

I shorted mileage on this recent OCI as I just went on a 2700 mile RT to SoCal, and I wanted a fresh oil & filter for the drive. I plan to stick to 5k mile OCIs.

As for the break-in, I followed Infiniti's guidance - don't rev over 4k rpms, and no hard accels during the 1st 1,200 miles (which took alot of self-control). I typically drive-off almost immediately (car is garaged), and I have telemetrics via the Ecutek App that provides Oil Temp, so I don't "get on it" until the oil reaches 140 deg F, which is what Audi uses as a threshold in their RS engines (I previously owned an '08 RS4 w/4.2L DOHC V8).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ZZman
Surprised on the light detergent amounts.

There is likely more going on here than what we can see on the analysis.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Looks great. Does Nissan recommends the use of 30 grades. I recall previously Nissan allowed 40 grades also.

The recommended oil is 0W20, however, the O/M also allows 5W30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back