New Champion 2000 Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meh.

I understand why you guys want something cheaper.

I will cheap out on a LOT of things but a generator is just not one of them. I need it to start and run in bad times when I have a lot of other stuff to worry about.

Buy a Honda.

Champion makes a good 3000w inverter generator. The RV guys love ‘em. Not sure if this little one is any good.

The above mentioned Honda is a known performer with a 10,000 hour life when used and maintained properly.

Originally Posted by Ausfahrt
Meh.

I will cheap out on a LOT of things but a generator is just not one of them. I need it to start and run in bad times when I have a lot of other stuff to worry about.

Buy a Honda.

The little Hondas are no longer made in Japan. Champion has a good reputation and customer service. You may as well save some money.

Old Japan made Honda generators are the best. I have two, bought used but never used long ago. They seem to always work. All the new ones are hit or miss.

Originally Posted by Donald
When you combine two of these is it just more amps at 120V? Or 220V possible when combined?

More amps at 120.

I keep a small inverter generator, a large bi-fuel one that can run my well pump, and a 12V inverter that lets my prius keep the fridge running overnight. Redundancy and fuel conservation are in mind.

If I were to have *one* generator for emergencies it would be a non-inverter. More motor starting power due to the flywheel effect

Champion is a good brand. You can probably get this cheaper once the hurricane buzz dies down.

Meh.

Buy a Honda.

Or Yamaha.

This is another 100-hour lash inspection machine that can't make it through a weeks dry camp vacation without needing a service.

Both champion and predator are slowly working their way models with increased inspection time ( read better quality valvetrain and seat materials) - but not on this little guy.

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted by user52165
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Champio...able-Inverter-Generator-100306/306320384

Seems for now to be only at Home Depot. Some nice featues, anyone own one ?

I have the "Older, bigger, heavier, not as quiet" version of the Champion 2000 watt inverter generator.

It works great for everything EXCEPT when hit with a heavy load in "ECONOMY" mode, it just can't accelerate and get up to speed fast enough. The Honda kills it in that area.

Otherwise, it was well worth the $329 I paid for it (from some Champion refurb place in Newark, New York called Supergen Products)

Last edited:
And moreover...if you look at Loncin engine line...their engines are basically rebranded Honda ones..

G390 =GX390.. G270 = GX270... Etc...

This one is 3lbs lighter and 1800 running watts.
[Linked Image]

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Westing...rallel-Capabilities-WH2200iXLT/205746116

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
To UD
Heh...dunno of what quality your predators are...

But since I am working for one retailor who is selling Loncin generators/engines/water pumps...our service department really has nothing to say bad about loncin brand...

And we do sell Loncin LC3500i wich is esentially the same as your predator (same engine...same electronics...)

http://www.loncinindustries.com/en/engine/ProductDetail.aspx?catid=8-15-17-44-2146789930#proFlag

Ive seen a few now - the engine designs appear lifted from either briggs or honda (chiggs/chonda)

Seems they have versions made with cheap parts and some newer one with good ones all mixed into the same brand.

The valve lash interval being the single biggest outward indicator of what Im getting for my money.

UD

Yes, Champion has been teasing all summer that a new 2000w inverter line was coming out, this is the first I've seen them actually for sale.
I have one of their older "cube" model 2000w inverters, and it has ran flawlessly.
Champion is building up quite a reputation in the rv community, their generators typically sell for half, or less, of the price of a Honda.(1/3 the price in some cases)
They compare quite well with Honda in terms of noise, performance and reliability.

These new units look to be more compact and easy to carry.
If the new model is as reliable as my old cube, I'm sure these will be popular.

Meh.

Buy a Honda.

The ones I have looked at have been exact 79cc clones of Yamaha engines. And people are getting 10,000 hours use out of them. They are FANTASTIC generators, with excellent parts availability and dealer network.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
Meh.

Buy a Honda.

The ones I have looked at have been exact 79cc clones of Yamaha engines. And people are getting 10,000 hours use out of them. They are FANTASTIC generators, with excellent parts availability and dealer network.

Can I have a link, or model name for the gen that has good parts availability, and long life?
I want a small generator for powering my furnace, and the blower for my wood furnace.
I would also like to have it to power lights for work after dark. I was actually strongly considering the harbor freight one, but there are no replacement parts. I can't buy a generator that I cannot fix down the road.

Last edited:
I can vouch for the part availability, Champion will sell parts directly to the consumer. Prices are reasonable as well!
They stock parts at their main headquarters in California.
I believe Supergen products in New Jersey is stocking most common parts as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back