Returning to old Gmail

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems that it's no longer possible to revert back to the old Gmail. Your best option is probably to go to "Display Density" and choose "Comfortable," as it's the closest to the old layout.

Usually these "Return to old style" options are only temporary and it appears to be the case here too. I use "Compact" display density and don't think there's much change from the old layout.

I really dislike the new GMail. I liked being able to hover the pointer over a sender and be able to bring up all emails by that sender. The disappearing and then reappearing side listings with my folders is lame, I want them always listed, I have 2 24" monitors at work and 2 27" monitors at home, and an 18" laptop, screen space is not an issue for me.

I switched away from Gmail because of this new format and because I was getting a tad bit concerned with their privacy policy change recently. I switched over to Runbox Mail Manager which is in Norway and it's ad-free and secure. It's not free but their plans are reasonable. User interface is super simple and clean. My e-mail at my personal domain address that I give out forwards so it was easy for me to change addresses but I also have my old Gmail account forwarded to Runbox just in case.

I find Runbox SPAM feature to be superior than GMail. It seems to catch things they didn't. They also have a nice feature that will automatically migrate over all your folders and e-mails.

Anyway, to each their own, I just thought I would mention it.

https://runbox.com/about/

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Unless you are a paying customer and have a little clout supporting the older format makes no sense from an application standpoint.

Email is email to me. Been a gmail user since 2004 and have used for corporate for 8 years. Does the job but much prefer messaging apps over email.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
I really dislike the new GMail. I liked being able to hover the pointer over a sender and be able to bring up all emails by that sender. The disappearing and then reappearing side listings with my folders is lame, I want them always listed, I have 2 24" monitors at work and 2 27" monitors at home, and an 18" laptop, screen space is not an issue for me.

Hitting the "hamburger" menu (the three horizontal lines) next to the Gmail logo will toggle the sidebar from "appear when you're hovering over it" to "always appear".

I never understand the reason why people become prostitutes for Google and the big tech companies.
Instead of paying for email or any other program, they accept free email in exchange for all their personal information, which then generates a physiological profile and sold off to the highest bidders.
This profile knows more about you and your family members then you do.
The information is then used to get into your head, for marketing reasons and make you want products. AMAZING and they massive amounts of money off you, making you nothing more then a prostitute.

Anyway, there is no such thing as free and I have made my mistakes too, but now that I know I am correcting them. There is no such thing as FREE.

Proton mail is a FANTASTIC Swiss based email system. Its completely encrypted, no ads, no data collection, no saved passwords to get hacked into, they do not have your password on their servers.
In fact if you forget your password your out of luck, you can reset your password and keep the email account, but since the existing emails are encrypted with the old password you will no longer be able to access them.

Ok, the best part is they do offer a free service level if that is all you need, no catch, no ads, however their will be a little banner at the bottom of your emails invited others to try the service, no big deal at all and its TRULY free other then that banner.

You can upgrade to several levels but the free would be good for most people but I like things so much I might upgrade for a small fee.

If anyone is interested and want to take their life back from google, check it out, read up on it, ect ... WWW.PROTONMAIL.COM

EDUCATE YOURSELVES, Click for the speech, good god man, one of the richest men in tech world is telling you this and we still do not listen ... Tim Cook Speach

Hopefully everyone knows who Tim Cook is ... :eek:)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
I never understand the reason why people become prostitutes for Google and the big tech companies.

Here is an accurate summary that will clear it all up for you:

Instead of paying for email or any other program, they accept free email in exchange for all their personal information,

You may not like or approve of it, but it seems as though you understand it thoroughly.

Originally Posted by uc50ic4more

Here is an accurate summary that will clear it all up for you:

Instead of paying for email or any other program, they accept free email in exchange for all their personal information,

You may not like or approve of it, but it seems as though you understand it thoroughly.

??? how is that? Did you read it through?

Heck, I never said I didnt like it either, people can be google drones their whole lives if they want, or they can use their brains and stop selling google the most intimate details of their lives and those of their children and spouses. I just try to help wake people up but we know most are to lazy, until something happens, then they cry.

Last edited:
You have a cellphone-and you are on the Internet. Unless your doing something special you have no privacy.

My email is pretty boring reading to anybody.

It's really amazing to me which "forms" of privacy guys freak out about-but then do other things like walking around with a "live' cellphone in their hip pocket, shopping where there are security cameras everywhere these days, registering your car with the "state" and paying taxes.

Yea-use a special mail service for privacy-give me a break!

I will get the heavy duty tin foil ready........

Last edited:
Complacency... Nothing wrong with that if it makes one happy others can choose to fight if it makes them happy.
There is nothing special about Proton Mail except they respect privacy and don't sell your information for money as well as provide excellent service.

Last edited:
new gmail runs very slow on my older laptop, i find the whole thing clunky.

I have had the account for so long, I need to search for old emails sometimes and I don't want to delete anything.

No way I would go to a 500mb proton mail account.

Originally Posted by JustinH

I have had the account for so long, I need to search for old emails sometimes and I don't want to delete anything.

Why not? It's not meant for business-dealings that require large files or attachments. 95% of emailers disagree with you, for we use email providers as a source of simple communication, that gets deleted within days mostly.

I am kind-of fed-up with this new gmail. Looking to off-it and move to something like proton. What really keeps me hooked to gmail is the way they keep spammers at-bay. I rarely get spam mail and when I do, it's never obvious junk-mail and/or sex-related.

Well I just finished installing Proton Mail and it's fine outside of not being able to delete my first two emails from them.

Once you set-up your new email account with them (non-mobile app account), you get two emails from Proton. I cannot find any way to delete those two emails. I looked for, scrolled and clicked on everything, but found nothing for instant email deletion.

OMG, this could be a very short marriage between Proton and myself. Is this the manner they use, to get us over our very limited MG thresh-hold in a hurry, by storing old emails we want to delete and can't?

Originally Posted by JustinH

Nope, not for you, you sell your privacy for "free" email, thats fine, and why I look at it as the same as selling your body for free stuff, much like a prostitute.
Here a company will give you a free account without selling your data OR you can have endless account with the same company if you could spend a few dollars a month for it.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Well I just finished installing Proton Mail and it's fine outside of not being able to delete my first two emails from them.

Once you set-up your new email account with them (non-mobile app account), you get two emails from Proton. I cannot find any way to delete those two emails. I looked for, scrolled and clicked on everything, but found nothing for instant email deletion.

OMG, this could be a very short marriage between Proton and myself. Is this the manner they use, to get us over our very limited MG thresh-hold in a hurry, by storing old emails we want to delete and can't?

I wish I could help you but (and Im not making fun of you just laughing) as you know, with computers, someone will always have an issue with something, even a simple as using one of the worlds best email systems.
Have no idea why your mentioning non mobile - app account, all of a sudden things sound complicated and its the most basic.

www.protonmail.com and login in, delete whatever you want, have no idea about your issue, send them an email and ask or go back to selling your private information to google.

Buy the way, just having fun here and letting you know, your talking about one of the most esteemed email systems in the world, the wealthy and famous use protonmail because they can afford a few dollars a month, others who can not can afford a few dollars a month are offered a more limited free version that is MORE THEN MOST PEOPLE NEED, yet the little people mostly use gmail and the other big names and dont mind those companies selling their private information to the highest bidders..

:eek:) (again, just having fun)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back