Why do phones no longer have notification led

Status
Not open for further replies.
got a new phone, it does not have a led that can be turned on to notify me of messages like my old phone did. i really liked the led. So what is the reason they got rid of it? how does one figure out if they have a new message without picking up the phone

You don't need it because you're supposed to stare at you phone all day. I liked that feature too but I've only had one lg smartphone that had it.

I just bought a new LG phone last month that has it. It also has Tmobiles extended range LTE 600 and 700 mhz frequencies band 12 and 66 which few phones have.

Does your phone have the always on display? That's the best feature ever and eliminates the need for the led.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by beanoil
iPhone has it under settings, general, accessibility.
Droid under settings, notification.

That is the one that makes the camera flash go off. I think the op is talking about the phones that have a little led in the upper corner of the screen.

I want to like the camera flash for notifications but it wakes me up whenever people decide they need to send emails late at night or early in the morning.

Some do and some don't, you have to do some research. My Galaxy S8+ has it, my previous Moto G5S plus didn't. iPhones never had a dedicated notification led.

My old Blackberry z30 was the best in that regard, I could change the led color natively for different types of notifications.

Originally Posted by dishdude
Does your phone have the always on display? That's the best feature ever and eliminates the need for the led.

[Linked Image]

the display appears when i bring it up to my face. must be using the prox sensor. is that screen always on?

Originally Posted by WhyMe
Originally Posted by dishdude

[Linked Image]

the display appears when i bring it up to my face. must be using the prox sensor. is that screen always on?

What phone do you have? I used to be a huge fan of the led light until they rolled out the always on display, it's much more useful.

Originally Posted by WhyMe
got a new phone, it does not have a led that can be turned on to notify me of messages like my old phone did. i really liked the led. So what is the reason they got rid of it? how does one figure out if they have a new message without picking up the phone

They didnt get rid of it, you just bought one without it. :eek:)

Pixel 2 has the notification LED.

You may need to configure the notifications for each app to actually take advantage of this LED.

Originally Posted by beanoil
iPhone has it under settings, general, accessibility.

My previous phone was an iPhone 6+ and it had no physical LED light. I have an iPhone 8 now and it still has no light. Under the settings you point to, as I recall, the "LED flash for alerts" option will flash the camera light. This is very much different than what the OP is referring to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back