RainX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by StevieC
Originally Posted by Benzadmiral
I've got a question about Rain-X or Aquapel.

Does the stuff help with external fogging due to humidity? For 8-10 months of the year in this foul climate, the air outside the car is not only warm to hot, it's soul-sappingly humid. When I drive at night or before dawn (when the humidity is worst), running the A/C, my windshield fogs. Not on the inside, the defogger handles that, but on the outside, so that I continually have to use the wipers. This was true on my previous cars driven here as well. Would a regular application of Rain-X help keep that fog from forming?

Having used both and having the same problem living near lake Ontario where I encounter the same conditions at this time of year I can tell you that the Aquapel will drastically cut down on this but the Rain-X will not.

If you set the heat controls to highest heat setting on the window defogger with the fan on medium to high setting for the first couple of minutes until it warms the windshield and then lower the temperature to where you want it in the car and change over to the vents and not the defogger, it will fix your problem without these products.

I stopped using the products because it's too costly for me to keep re-applying and I do so much driving that they wear off sooner than they would for the average driver so I have compensated using the defogger set to heat initially and then change to vents and then lower the temperature to what I want the cabin at.

The idea of setting the defogger, even briefly, to "heat" during this rancidly hot and humid summer is enough to make my skin break out. Perhaps I'll try it, though. Like you, I really don't want to be re-applying the stuff to the glass, and I'm not sure where I would find Aquapel around here anway.

I have Rosacea on my face that is temperature sensitive so I understand the concern because my skin freaks out at anything over a cool breeze. I wish there was a better answer but it's either the heat for a few minutes or Aquapel which is the longest lasting treatment I have found. They claim 6 months but it's more like 2-3.

Edit: I should mention that ChrisFix on Youtube has a video about super cleaning your glass and applying a wax to make the water bead. You might see if you can find different waxes that can help but that would last even less time than Aquapel unless you find one that works and lasts as long as say Nu-Finish Polish for example. Not sure that one is glass compatible though.

Last edited:
I just use the premixed Rain-X windshield washer fluid. No need to apply/reapply that way and a gallon costs about $3 at Costco.

Originally Posted by NO2
I just use the premixed Rain-X windshield washer fluid. No need to apply/reapply that way and a gallon costs about $3 at Costco.

I used to as well. It does leave a residual coating on the windshield. IMO it's not as good as something applied like Aquapel. I also found that the Rain-X washer fluids combined with road salt spray will leave a film on your windshield where the wipers can't wipe and it can be difficult to get off unless you manually clean those areas. And if the wash you use has a fast wax applied it makes this even worse.

Just FWIW.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back