Fuel Filter Replacement Interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
An oft repeated advice to extend the life of the fuel injection system on the 6.0 powerstroke is to change the fuel filter frequently, as often as every 15k miles.

How does that help? Would a filter that is loaded up with contaminants to, say, 15% of its capacity not filter just as well as a fresh filter?

I maintain a number of Freightliner trucks and cut open the fuel filter after removing them and I do not see any dirt in them, just some ashphaltene. I go about 50k miles on a fuel filter. I do not see dirt in them to warrant more frequent filter replacements.

I change the Fleetguard Strata-pore filter on my AirDog lift pump once a year no matter the mileage which is around 30-40,000 miles, The engine mounted factory style Racor filter has been on the truck for over 70,000 miles & counting.

Like you.....I was cutting them open & found NOTHING on the secondary Racor & just the normal black coating on the primary Fleetguard.

Light duty diesel trucks are cash-cows for service departments with their service schedules. Water is our biggest enemy as a diesel owner. Though in your case.....A restricted filter/low fuel pressure is detrimental to HEUI injectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back