Ethanol vs. Toluene vs. Xylene as Octane Boosters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although Toluene and xylene have higher higher mon and ron octane ratings I was told that ethanol burns cooler and thus is a better anti-knock agent.

Toluene and xylene both have stoichiometric ratios close to gasoline, and ethanol does not.

Which of these chemicals is the best anti-knock agent?

Many thanks.

Toluene has been used as an additive and octane booster for ages... I think indy cars back in the day ran almost entirely on Toluene as fuel when they were making stupid boost numbers and HP.

What you want is a high density fuel that burns as hot as possible. A hotter combustion flame produces a higher gas pressure producing more force on the piston or rotor.

What you don't want is flame front that propagates too fast.

So even with fuels, it's another balancing act.

I read up on this a few years back. While alcohol also cools and condenses the AF mixture it also requires specific tuning for the % it is used at. I also read that if you don't do this well it also goes BANG very quickly. Toluene adds plenty of knock resistance and also energy density so if you only need a few points of octane doesn't require a re-tune. The turbo era F1 cars ran a LOT of toluene and got 1000+ hp from ~2L lump. ...Toluene can be purchased in gallon cans at the paint store. Toluene is preferable because the Balancing act is less sensitive and more forgiving than alcabob.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kawiguy454
I read up on this a few years back. While alcohol also cools and condenses the AF mixture it also requires specific tuning for the % it is used at. I also read that if you don't do this well it also goes BANG very quickly. Toluene adds plenty of knock resistance and also energy density so if you only need a few points of octane doesn't require a re-tune. The turbo era F1 cars ran a LOT of toluene and got 1000+ hp from ~2L lump. ...Toluene can be purchased in gallon cans at the paint store. Toluene is preferable because the Balancing act is less sensitive and more forgiving than alcabob.

Speaking of turbo F1 era cars, my favorite article was on the Renault 1.4 liter twin-turbo 4 cylinder, which produced 1500+ hp in qualifying tune, a bit less in race tune.

Originally Posted by eljefino
Ethanol adds oxygen which also adds ultimate power on a N/A motor.

To a certain degree. The energy density (both per liter and per kg) is significantly less than that of baseline gasoline, toluene, or xylene, so (as mentioned) proper tune is required to take advantage of that extra power. In most conditions you'll just see the drop in fuel economy due to the reduced power density requiring additional volume of fuel to produce same number work per time (power).

Originally Posted by Loi
Ethanol would be more resistant to knock. I run ethanol on both of my cars.

? ? ? ? Ethanol has lower MON and RON than either toluene or xylene.

Maye there is some other factor I'm not considering?

Originally Posted by Loi

How come ethanol is a better anti-knock agent compared to xylene and toulene while still having lower mon and ron ratings?

Originally Posted by Floydian
Originally Posted by Loi

How come ethanol is a better anti-knock agent compared to xylene and toulene while still having lower mon and ron ratings?

It's not. Price and federal legislation is the only reason why ethanol is used used in lieu of xylene and toulene.

https://farmdocdaily.illinois.edu/2016/02/ethanol-position-as-octane-enhancer.html

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by Loi

It's not. Price and federal legislation is the only reason why ethanol is used used in lieu of xylene and toulene.

https://farmdocdaily.illinois.edu/2016/02/ethanol-position-as-octane-enhancer.html

^^^ This

Agreed the last two posters are correct. However, non-ideal blending interactions can take place where mixtures of components blend to different RON & MON values as a mixture than linerarly proportioning their "neat" RON & MON values. Sometimes higher, some cases lower (MON especially). If the world is to settle on one octane value standard I wish it would either be the (R+M)/2 system used here for decades now, or minimum MON only, as opposed to so many nations using RON only like the US did back when the only unleaded grade of pump gasoline available here was Marine White.

Just going off of anecdotal experience...

1996 Trans Am, 5.3L LM7, Borg Warner S475 turbo, built TH400, 9" rear end. It was a dragstrip only car originally tuned on VP C16 leaded race fuel which has a MON of 117 and RON of 124. The owner switched it over to VP C85 (85% ethanol) fuel with a MON of just 86 and RON of just 106. Both fuels run at 18 psi boost pressure. Both fuels liked near identical spark curves within 1-2 degrees peak spark advance, the C85 required 32% more fuel for the ideal AFR, and made 1.5% more horsepower. Two fuels, 24 octane numbers apart (by R+M / 2 method) made near the same horsepower, with nearly identical spark advance, identical air/fuel ratio, and identical boost pressure. Something more is going on there than just the octane number.

I found the email exchange I had with the tuner of that car. I asked him the same question of how the ethanol fuel could handle as much spark advance and pressure as the leaded gasoline with a much lower octane rating. This was his response.

"As the piston moves up the cylinder and compresses the air/fuel mixture, the pressure rises which means temperature also rises, causing the fuel to vaporize. During this phase of vaporization, ethanol absorbs significantly more heat out of the surrounding air in the cylinder than gasoline. So while C85 has a lower knock resistance than C16, the temperature in the cylinder at the time of ignition/combustion is also lower, allowing it to withstand the severe conditions. It's also why ethanol fuel is harder to ignite."

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
I found the email exchange I had with the tuner of that car. I asked him the same question of how the ethanol fuel could handle as much spark advance and pressure as the leaded gasoline with a much lower octane rating. This was his response.

"As the piston moves up the cylinder and compresses the air/fuel mixture, the pressure rises which means temperature also rises, causing the fuel to vaporize. During this phase of vaporization, ethanol absorbs significantly more heat out of the surrounding air in the cylinder than gasoline. So while C85 has a lower knock resistance than C16, the temperature in the cylinder at the time of ignition/combustion is also lower, allowing it to withstand the severe conditions. It's also why ethanol fuel is harder to ignite."

That would explain it. Alcohol does absorb temperature when it evaporates.

Although I wonder why isn't ethanol rated higher in terms of octane numbers?

I believe it's because the octane rating is based on a ratio of iso-octane at a controlled temperature. Giving ethanol an octane rating of 106 would mean that it would have pre-igntion / detonation issues at around the same temperature as gasoline with a 106 octane rating. Let's say this temperature is 540*F. (just throwing out a number) However, the ethanol will take longer to reach 540*F in the chamber because of its higher capacity for heat absorption. So take 2 identical engines, down to every spec, one with 106 octane gasoline and the other with 106 octane ethanol. Tune the gasoline engine to the very edge for peak power, right before the point of knock with cylinder temperatures of 540*F. Then tune the ethanol engine to mimic the gasoline engine's tune with the same spark timing, cylinder pressure, coolant temp, oil temp, etc... the ethanol engine may only be at say 460*F in the chamber. It would take the timing and pressure of a gasoline engine pushed to the edge of an octane rating 10 (or more) points higher to get a comparable ethanol engine up to that 540*F chamber temperature.

Another thing is that once ignited, the fuels burn rather differently. On C16, the T/A made the best power at .82 lambda. On C85, it made the best power much richer at .72 lambda. With C16, any richer than .82 lambda showed an increase in exhaust gas temperature (EGT) and a progressive drop in power. With C85, the EGTs remained constant as the air/fuel ratio was richened up all the way down to .72 lambda with a progressive increase in power. At .70 lambda on C85, the EGTs started going up and a slight drop in power accompanied it.

It must be noted though the above only worked when we changed out the spark plugs. The engine was run on NGK -9 heat range plugs on C16. After several pulls on C85, these plugs looked fouled. Going 2 heat ranges hotter to -7 plugs made the C85 more responsive and tolerant of richer air/fuel ratios. What we learned was that the more heat you could keep in the cylinder, the more ethanol you could dump in there to absorb it, and the more the ethanol liked it.

Methanol works the same way but to a greater extreme. Have a look at NHRA Top Alcohol dragsters that run methanol fuel with an octane rating of only about 110. However, they withstand 60+ psi boost pressure at 9,000+ rpm with 40+ degrees of spark advance to make in the neighborhood of 4,000 hp.

I believe it's because the octane rating is based on a ratio of iso-octane at a controlled temperature. Giving ethanol an octane rating of 106 would mean that it would have pre-igntion / detonation issues at around the same temperature as gasoline with a 106 octane rating. Let's say this temperature is 540*F. (just throwing out a number) However, the ethanol will take longer to reach 540*F in the chamber because of its higher capacity for heat absorption. So take 2 identical engines, down to every spec, one with 106 octane gasoline and the other with 106 octane ethanol. Tune the gasoline engine to the very edge for peak power, right before the point of knock with cylinder temperatures of 540*F. Then tune the ethanol engine to mimic the gasoline engine's tune with the same spark timing, cylinder pressure, coolant temp, oil temp, etc... the ethanol engine may only be at say 460*F in the chamber. It would take the timing and pressure of a gasoline engine pushed to the edge of an octane rating 10 (or more) points higher to get a comparable ethanol engine up to that 540*F chamber temperature.

Another thing is that once ignited, the fuels burn rather differently. On C16, the T/A made the best power at .82 lambda. On C85, it made the best power much richer at .72 lambda. With C16, any richer than .82 lambda showed an increase in exhaust gas temperature (EGT) and a progressive drop in power. With C85, the EGTs remained constant as the air/fuel ratio was richened up all the way down to .72 lambda with a progressive increase in power. At .70 lambda on C85, the EGTs started going up and a slight drop in power accompanied it.

It must be noted though the above only worked when we changed out the spark plugs. The engine was run on NGK -9 heat range plugs on C16. After several pulls on C85, these plugs looked fouled. Going 2 heat ranges hotter to -7 plugs made the C85 more responsive and tolerant of richer air/fuel ratios. What we learned was that the more heat you could keep in the cylinder, the more ethanol you could dump in there to absorb it, and the more the ethanol liked it.

Methanol works the same way but to a greater extreme. Have a look at NHRA Top Alcohol dragsters that run methanol fuel with an octane rating of only about 110. However, they withstand 60+ psi boost pressure at 9,000+ rpm with 40+ degrees of spark advance to make in the neighborhood of 4,000 hp.

Thank you for an awesome explanation. Do you know if adding toluene or xylene to gasoline will raise EGTs?

Do alcohols also reduce EGTs as they soak more heat from the combustion chamber?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back