Why Power Shifting is a bad idea - Engineering Explained

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went through 7 (yes, 7!) transmissions in my 87 Mustang GT because of powershifting. But I also had a Paxton Supercharger on it and was launching it at the dragstrip at 6000 rpm on slicks. So it lived a pretty hard life. The stupid part was that after the first transmission went I should have just forked over the $2500 to buy a Tremec 5 speed, which was much stronger than the stock T5 trans. I did not spend a lot of money each time the trans would break though, I would pick them up used for about $300 or $400 and I had a friend who would install it for me for next to nothing (it's like a one hour job, tops)

But I kept powershifting because it would result in about a 2 tenths difference in the quarter mile. Plus it was fun
smile.gif

Pat, I have power shifted and knew that it could be hard on the transmission but I posted the video more for the science behind it. This guy does a really good job explaining things.
grin2.gif

As for your 7 replacements, ouch!
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Patman
I went through 7 (yes, 7!) transmissions in my 87 Mustang GT because of powershifting. But I also had a Paxton Supercharger on it and was launching it at the dragstrip at 6000 rpm on slicks. So it lived a pretty hard life. The stupid part was that after the first transmission went I should have just forked over the $2500 to buy a Tremec 5 speed, which was much stronger than the stock T5 trans. I did not spend a lot of money each time the trans would break though, I would pick them up used for about $300 or $400 and I had a friend who would install it for me for next to nothing (it's like a one hour job, tops)

But I kept powershifting because it would result in about a 2 tenths difference in the quarter mile. Plus it was fun
smile.gif

The non-WC T5 was really weak, they could be broken by a stock 305 TBI. How did your rear end take those 6k launches?

The rear end never gave me a problem because before I started launching with slicks I swapped it out for a Ford Motorsport 8.8 rear end with 31 spline axles. I think I made well over 500 passes on the car with slicks too. (best ET was 12.16 at 112mph, the engine was 100% stock behind the blower)

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by Patman

smile.gif

The non-WC T5 was really weak, they could be broken by a stock 305 TBI. How did your rear end take those 6k launches?

Aye, that's the difference. You could break a T-5 (even a WC) in a Fox, but the stock 8.8, unlike the GM offering, was a solid performer. With 31-spline axles they are incredibly robust. My buddy's dad has an S10 with a pretty warmed-over 350 in it. Broke one diff, bent the axle tubes on another dragging it at Shannonville and so we swapped in an 8.8 from an Explorer (31-spline axles), which has been fine since.

I broke my T-5 at Shannonville, blew the rear off another one in town. I had a buddy with a 525RWHP Fox with a Spec Stage 3 in the bell and his stock T-5. It stayed together, even dragging it, by granny shifting. Eventually it was swapped out for a Lentec AOD because the Spec was an on/off switch and horrible to drive.

I have a friend who had an 84 Capri RS Turbo and he eventually swapped a mild 302 in it (carburated and with a B303 cam, so probably making 275-300hp) but he kept the stock T5 that came in the car, which I think was an even weaker version since the original 2.3 Turbo in that car only made around 150hp I believe. Believe it or not that T5 lasted at least 5 years of hard driving on the street, he never powershifted it, that's the key to keeping those trannies alive.

Originally Posted by Garak
A guy I knew here years back had a Chevette and would power shift the thing, and then broke off the gear shift. Nice.

I guess he needed a Hurst.

Hurst.jpg

Originally Posted by blupupher
The thought of power shifting has never even crossed my mind, did not even know what it was till this.

Isn't BITOG a great place.
grin2.gif

We would do it in my buddy's 67 VW Bug, except I would grab the e-brake to chirp the tires between shifts. Got rubber in every gear except 1st.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Rhymingmechanic
Originally Posted by Garak
A guy I knew here years back had a Chevette and would power shift the thing, and then broke off the gear shift. Nice.

I guess he needed a Hurst.

Got one in the WS6, well the shifter anyway, came from the factory like that. big H on the handle. Hurst equipped. LOL

As to this guys video, PSHAW. Let me run out to the garage and tell my Mcleod twin clutch, T56 6 speed and WS6 so they can yuck it up.
smile.gif

He is just scared.

Did it a lot in a 95 s10 with the 2.2. The only thing that happend to it were the springs fell out of the clutch disc when I changed it. Didn't have much power to tear anything else up.

Yea I did it all the time in the evo. Never broke anything except the engine. Winning > Transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back