Renewable Lubricants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by Phishin
........... in this truck, which is mostly short-tripped to work and to the store (3 mile trips).

IN A 3500 HD?

Sir, none of your decisions make sense to me.

Yeah, I know. I don't currently need a 1 ton truck. I just wanted one.
I plan to purchase a toy-hauler type trailer soon, to use during cross-country trips that my son and I make (he races BMX all over this country).

I like HD trucks. I wouldn't be surprised if I don't end up with one of those new 6500's when they get released next year.

I've got a 2000 Chevy 2500 with the 6.0 with over 350k. I've always used a brand name conventional. Your choice will work fine, just a bit of overkill.

The original, the best smelling and (in many 2-stroke racer's opinion) the best renewable oil.

Gotta love that smell
Jordan
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by askani79705
I've got a 2000 Chevy 2500 with the 6.0 with over 350k. I've always used a brand name conventional. Your choice will work fine, just a bit of overkill.

This is the reason I wanted the 6.0
I didn't want the 5.3 or 6.2. No thanks. So I had to get a 2500 or a 3500. The 3500 wasn't much more than the 2500.

Originally Posted by CleverUserName

Are you still going to add the archoil to it?

I'm not really sure at this point. Consensus here seems to be that RLI is incredibly fortified and really formulated for tough applications; therefore, it's complete overkill in my Silverado's 6.0 which gets babied to death.

Hmmm.....I guess I have a decision to make. Any input is welcomed.

Originally Posted by d00df00d
To be clear, I don't think adding Archoil would be overkill. I think it'd be worse.

Agree, adding will be worse.

To be clear, I don't think adding Archoil would be overkill. I think it'd be worse.

Do you think running RLI (without any additives) in my truck is a mistake?? You don't think RLI is that good or just unnecessary in my application??

Because when you say Archoil will make it "worse" it implies that running RLI without any additives is a bad idea.

Last edited:
Here and in other forums RLI is mentioned as a antidote to fuel dilution (or at least a good alternative if you own a diluter).

I've thought that a proclivity for fuel dilution was pretty much fixed when the vehicle left the production line, being a function of engine design, programming and manufacturing tolerances.

If RLI helps, how does it do so? Create a better piston ring seal to reduce blowby? Retain viscosity despite the addition of fuel? Something else?

Just curious.

Do you think running RLI (without any additives) in my truck is a mistake?? You don't think RLI is that good or just unnecessary in my application??

Because when you say Archoil will make it "worse" it implies that running RLI without any additives is a bad idea.

That's not what he's stating. He's saying running the RLI by itself is a better option than running RLI with Archoil. That Archoil would worsen the performance of the RLI product.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

That's not what he's stating. He's saying running the RLI by itself is a better option than running RLI with Archoil. That Archoil would worsen the performance of the RLI product.

And that was my understanding as well...

Originally Posted by CleverUserName

Are you still going to add the archoil to it?

I'm not really sure at this point. Consensus here seems to be that RLI is incredibly fortified and really formulated for tough applications; therefore, it's complete overkill in my Silverado's 6.0 which gets babied to death.

Hmmm.....I guess I have a decision to make. Any input is welcomed.

I don't think the 0w30 is "incredibly fortified". I believe it's just API SN oil. The 10w30 has a stronger additive package as it is CJ-4 and has over 1000 ppm of P. I ran a VOA of it earlier this year and posted it on the forum.

I've seen UOAs with archoil and there was no reduction in wear vs. plain oil. I think the benefits are dubious unless you have an old powerstroke.

I believe in the thought that motor oils are carefully blended for optimal performance. Throwing extra additives in them throws that equation out the window.

This particular oil may be more susceptible to performance changes by adding additional additives. A lot of research went into plant oils of which RLI uses. Upsetting the balance could be harmful in the long run.

You paid a premium for this oil based on their research and marketing. Why go against that by adding additional additives?

Originally Posted by PimTac
Why go against that by adding additional additives?

Because the Archoil website has pictures of big pickup trucks and of Jay Leno, and states right on the front splash that it is "THE REAL DEAL." It also throws in the word "nano" because, well, you know, nano is good.

Never mind the fact that there is not one stitch of verifiable test results posted for any of their claims, just DieselTech magazine saying "We're Now Believers in Archoil". This is real-world stuff, bro.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by PimTac
Why go against that by adding additional additives?

Because the Archoil website has pictures of big pickup trucks and of Jay Leno, and states right on the front splash that it is "THE REAL DEAL." It also throws in the word "nano" because, well, you know, nano is good.

Never mind the fact that there is not one stitch of verifiable test results posted for any of their claims, just DieselTech magazine saying "We're Now Believers in Archoil". This is real-world stuff, bro.

Marketing is a powerful tool. If done the right way, one can sell snow and ice to the Eskimos.

When I said "worse" I meant "not as good."

RLI wouldn't be my first choice, but I don't think it's a bad idea per se. The point is, whatever you run, don't mess with it.

EDIT: Cheers, OVERKILL and miami993.
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back