Am I Insane? Thinking About Used VW Toureg V-10 Diesel ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buying one for a hobby car and knowing what your getting into is one thing. Getting rid of something high quality like a Subaru and depend on V10 TDI every day is another. If your cool with spending whatever the thing costs x 2-4 in order to own and repair it then i think you'll have fun. These days you can buy a Land Rover LR4 and have a significantly more reliable vehicle.

If you have the ability to afford the maintenance, it has a reasonably complete maintenance and repair history, and there's an indie with the powertrain drop tray that's familiar enough with the Phaeton / Touareg / Audi Q7 / Porsche Cayenne / Bentley Continental / Audi A8(?) powertrains of that era to be able to drop it to work on it if necessary. Then PLEASE do a favor to the rare, cool, weird vehicle fans of the world and get it...and take care of it, and drive it a lot, and keep it in well maintained and loved condition...for some other person like you in the future :)

I had one pass me the other day ago - it sounded great but make friends with a trusted VW/Audi mechanic. I know there's well-known one in my neck of the woods(Tomas Sport Tuning in Berkeley, CA). I think VW's TDIs are built to a different standard, but it will be a nightmare to work on like the Audi 4.2L V8s or needlessly complex like the Bugatti Veyron/Chiron W16. VW can make a good engine(the 2.slow and VR6 come to mind) but it's not Toyota/Honda reliable or easy to mod like a Ford or Chevy V8.

If you get one, keep it stock and baby the thing. OK, maybe a good tune to embarrass the bros in lifted F-250s/2500s who want to roll coal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by nthach
I had one pass me the other day ago - it sounded great but make friends with a trusted VW/Audi mechanic. I know there's well-known one in my neck of the woods(Tomas Sport Tuning in Berkeley, CA). I think VW's TDIs are built to a different standard, but it will be a nightmare to work on like the Audi 4.2L V8s or needlessly complex like the Bugatti Veyron/Chiron W16. VW can make a good engine(the 2.slow and VR6 come to mind) but it's not Toyota/Honda reliable or easy to mod like a Ford or Chevy V8.

If you get one, keep it stock and baby the thing. OK, maybe a good tune to embarrass the bros in lifted F-250s/2500s who want to roll coal.

VW diesel engines are much more reliable then Toyota/Honda diesel engines. Toyota diesel engines in Europe had such abysmal reliability record that BMW is selling them 2.0 diesel. Honda is bit better, but far behind European competition.
Do not mix Toyota V6 or I4 engines with VW diesel, which is much more complex engine due to nature of engine.
VR6 in VW is not any less reliable then Toyota or Honda. I would argue it is much more stout platform. In 2GR-FE I have for example, cost of maintenance will be higher then 3.6 VR6 due to two heads. V6 in Honda is OK, but there are issues, especially with that VCM.

Originally Posted by edyvw

VW diesel engines are much more reliable then Toyota/Honda diesel engines. Toyota diesel engines in Europe had such abysmal reliability record that BMW is selling them 2.0 diesel. Honda is bit better, but far behind European competition.
Do not mix Toyota V6 or I4 engines with VW diesel, which is much more complex engine due to nature of engine.
VR6 in VW is not any less reliable then Toyota or Honda. I would argue it is much more stout platform. In 2GR-FE I have for example, cost of maintenance will be higher then 3.6 VR6 due to two heads. V6 in Honda is OK, but there are issues, especially with that VCM.

I meant to say Toyota gas vs. VW gas - even though I've heard the newer efforts are much better these days.

At one point in time, Cummins and VW were co-branding TDIs for the recreational marine marker. It looks like Mercury Marine does now - and boats are a demanding application.

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/engines/diesel/mercury-diesel/42l-tier-3/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back