Friction Modifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

ant

I serviced the limited slip differential with Amsoil SVG, and I have a clunk in the first turn after it sits over night. Will this eventually cause a problem? If so, is Ford XL-3 or Lubegard limited slip supplement compatible with Amsoil SVG? Is one better than the other?

Clunking in a differential in not good!
Does the Amsoil have the LSD additive in it already ?
If not, did you add any at all to your differential ?
Does Amsoil have a customer service number that you can ask this question?

I would use and only use from past experience Ford XL-3 starting with .25oz per qt fluid.

I used sta-lube equa-torque with Lucas 85-140 and top off of car quest diff lube in my 98 f-150 had absolutely no issues. Even when the packaging says no friction modifier needed I add it anyway.

Amsoil SVG needs a limited slip additive added to it for these type of diff's. You can use the one from your OE. I would advise not driving this until you add it to prevent excessive wear.

Last edited:
I used redline's FM with ford's 75w140 in my 09 F150's rear diff. I don't think you'd have compatibility issues with any FM you'd add, but do get it in there.

And don't overdose.

Initially add 1/4 tube and then find an open parking lot and do figure eight turns. Add only enough to make the chatter disappear.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MolaKule
...and do figure eight turns.

Sorry for the dumb question, but why figure 8s ? Maybe the changing directions causes the 'drive' wheel to vary ?

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by MolaKule
...and do figure eight turns.

Sorry for the dumb question, but why figure 8s ? Maybe the changing directions causes the 'drive' wheel to vary ?

Because you want the wheels turning at different speeds on each side to check to see if the problem has been corrected and enough additive has been used.
If there is no vibration, chirping, popping, banging and the diff is quiet then you are good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back