hard drive space keeps filling up on virtual machine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use a remote desktop at work. Something keeps filling up the hard drive on the remote machine to max. It then locks me out from the remote machine.

Our IT guy said something is running in the background to fill up the disk space. Any ideas on what this process might be?

Quick guess . Hit control - alt - delete & go into task manager . Look through all the applications running . Those not needed / you do not want , kill them after you have made a list . Then try to un-install / remove them .

What kind of anti-virus software are you running ?

You can also hit CTRL+SHIFT+ESCAPE to bring up the task manager and then under the "Processes" tab click on the "Disk" column header tab to sort the processes by disk activity and whatever is forever using the disk will be the culprit

Last edited:
There is a nifty Java utility I have used in the past to figure out what is taking up the most space on a hard drive (and where it is located) called JDiskReport. You'll need Java to run it, but once you fire it off and let it scan the drive, it will return an interactive pie chart that breaks everything down and allows drilling down into each folder to check how much space is being used in each folder. Using that, you could probably find where all the space is being used, and based upon that location, you should be able to figure out what is filling it up. Then just kill that process, change its startup options (if any exist), and see if that stops the drive from getting filled up without your permission.

http://www.jgoodies.com/freeware/jdiskreport/

Just a thought, but if this is a machine at work, and the IT guy already knows about it, maybe he should look into what is causing the issue. He'd be far better equipped to troubleshoot it than we would.

Is it a Windows VM?

Use WinDirStat to graphically look at what is taking all of the space.

None of your business...don't touch it, don't do anything to it. Fill a ticket with the IT crowd. If you FUBAR anything it's your head on the line so why risk it?

Let your IT guys deal with it, and give him/her permission to delete what is yours that you don't need.

VMs are setup so that they share resources (i.e. free HD space, free ram, free CPU cycles, free network bandwidths) to save money. If the amount budgeted is incorrect, you run into this situation you see.

+1 Use WinDirStat ...A user account on a virtual machine there is nothing you can damage. Issue is probably something in your profile and IT can flush if nessasary.

Originally Posted by oilpsi2high
Our IT guy said something is running in the background to fill up the disk space. Any ideas on what this process might be?

In reference to people saying leave it to the IT people, your first post sums up exactly my distrust for IT people. They hazard a guess as to the problem then walk away from it.
wink.gif

It's probably Windows Update, that's generally the culprit for creeping disk space usage (VM or not) when you don't have anything else unusual installed. Easy way to check, fire up Windows Disk Cleanup, see what's consuming vast amounts of space.

Leave it to your IT department.

We don't have this issue with our virtual machines at work, but one thing that often times fills up the hard drives on physical machines is the cache for Outlook. Creates a 50gb file for no good reason.

C>Users>(Your userID)>AppData>Local>Microsoft>Outlook>Then the .ost files in there.
Somewhere around there, trying to do it off memory.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
It's probably Windows Update, that's generally the culprit for creeping disk space usage (VM or not) when you don't have anything else unusual installed. Easy way to check, fire up Windows Disk Cleanup, see what's consuming vast amounts of space.

Overkill, years ago, one buddy was in the PhD program for CS, and another was doing the dual EE/CS degree. The PhD mentioned that the EE/CS guy was at the lab, supervising, this one night. I asked what that all involves. He said it's basically playing games or reading his book, and when someone comes to complain that the printer is jammed, to say, "That's nice," and go back to his book or game.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Garak
Originally Posted by OVERKILL

Overkill, years ago, one buddy was in the PhD program for CS, and another was doing the dual EE/CS degree. The PhD mentioned that the EE/CS guy was at the lab, supervising, this one night. I asked what that all involves. He said it's basically playing games or reading his book, and when someone comes to complain that the printer is jammed, to say, "That's nice," and go back to his book or game.
wink.gif

Sounds about right, LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back