Is Your Router Secure? Probably Not!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, OVERKILL, that clears things up a little.

I wonder why there aren't more (known) attacks, if it's so easy and there are so many vulnerable routers...

...Or is that the point, that there are likely many routers out there now mining "gold" for whomever (assuming this is the most profitable use of their resources)?

To better reflect reality, IoT (Internet of Things) needs a name change, to IoHT (Internet of Hackable Things).

Originally Posted by Garak
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
A vulnerable device doesn't need to be exploited by the LAN-facing side and even if you have admin access via WAN turned off, that's no guarantee that there isn't a workaround that enables it.

Just follow my two-pronged approach. First, get a good Chinese router that's already loaded up with Chinese backdoors to keep the Russians at bay. Then, when not using the computer, turn the power bar off completely. Yes, I know, I should write an article.
wink.gif

Finally, a security strategy I understand and can follow.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by MONKEYMAN
Originally Posted by Garak
A vulnerable device doesn't need to be exploited by the LAN-facing side and even if you have admin access via WAN turned off, that's no guarantee that there isn't a workaround that enables it.

Just follow my two-pronged approach. First, get a good Chinese router that's already loaded up with Chinese backdoors to keep the Russians at bay. Then, when not using the computer, turn the power bar off completely. Yes, I know, I should write an article.
wink.gif

Finally, a security strategy I understand and can follow.
smile.gif

crackmeup2.gif

"How is this possible?"

There are thousands of hackers auto-scanning IP addresses-all the time, and when they get a response from a PC, they 'attack' it. Some months back, I found I was getting 'pinged' hundreds of times per day.

I've read reports where a brand-new Windows PC with an unpatched O.S. was connected to the internet, and within a minute or so, it had been hit, and malware loaded on it. This wasn't some fool reporting, it was some mainstream computing website.

There are Windows services that listen to 'ports', and if the OS doesn't secure those ports, they can be used to open two-way connections. I'm not an expert on this, but you can (should) google and find out for yourself.

Gibson Research is a *fantastic* site that can scan your ports. He's also got an app to tell you if your PC is patched against Spectre and Meltdown.

[
You can usually pickup a cheap SonicWall on E-bay or Amazon
wink.gif

BUT you have to pay fees to get regularly updated filter lists/AV code.

I had a Sonicwall years ago. It got hit by lightning...

Originally Posted by gathermewool

...Or is that the point, that there are likely many routers out there now mining "gold" for whomever (assuming this is the most profitable use of their resources)?

Yup
whistle.gif

Originally Posted by bobdoo
[
You can usually pickup a cheap SonicWall on E-bay or Amazon
wink.gif

BUT you have to pay fees to get regularly updated filter lists/AV code.

I had a Sonicwall years ago. It got hit by lightning...

Sure, but you can still get the latest firmware and aren't vulnerable to what plagues consumer routers, even if you opt out of getting the AV and signature upgrades, making still a solid investment
smile.gif

Well my router is not on the list, so I am good so far (a Linksys WRT1900AC (not V2 which is vulnerable), plus running DDWRT).

I have been debating going with a cheap PFSense system though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back