What year did ESC and traction control become standard on Silverado?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a basic 2011 Silverado work truck, I know it has ESC because it has a button to turn it off, was traction control standard too? This is a 2 wheel drive single cab. How much, if any will these systems help in the winter? It has new tires and came with two new winter studdless tires on wheels.

That's odd that they gave you two snowies, I understand why but it also makes sense that they weren't on the car when you bought it. Would a tire shop even install that configuration?

Originally Posted by maxdustington
That's odd that they gave you two snowies, I understand why but it also makes sense that they weren't on the car when you bought it. Would a tire shop even install that configuration?

Not one with any sense. It would probably make it more unsafe.

Make sure you have decent all seasons on your front and you'll be ok with snows on the back. Your truck has traction control. When you turn your key on it's the triangle shaped light in the tachometer.

There is a spectrum of traction control systems, some basic and others advanced. Typically the basic ones can limit wheel slip during acceleration and the more advanced can limit during cornering. None will be helpful during braking. Its usually not the going that get people in trouble... its the stopping and turning. Put snows on all four corners.

Originally Posted by Throt
Originally Posted by maxdustington

Not one with any sense. It would probably make it more unsafe.

I remember growing up when most cars were rear wheel drive everyone put 2 studded tires on the back and weight in the bed or trunk. No one used four snow tires. I'm not saying it's safe or unsafe but it seems like the tire manufactures really started to push the 4 winter tire set up a couple decades ago.

Originally Posted by Corollaman
I remember growing up when most cars were rear wheel drive everyone put 2 studded tires on the back and weight in the bed or trunk. No one used four snow tires. I'm not saying it's safe or unsafe but it seems like the tire manufactures really started to push the 4 winter tire set up a couple decades ago.
I really wanted to post that "it seems like something a cheap old man would do" but didn't because that would be mean. My Dad (61) would do totally do something like this but is totally against snow tires for some reason. If most cars were still RWD like the old days, I'm sure that would still be a common practice.

I'd want four snowies on a 2WD.

I believe by that point traction control and stabilitrac were standard on gm trucks. To turn of the traction control you hit the button. To turn off the traction control and stabilitrac you hold down the button till it says stabilitrac disabled. That being said they are not actually turned off but sensitivity is turned down when you disable one or both. Only modifying ecm programming can make it so that it is disabled when you push the button. To the inexperience driver they do help in my opinion. To the experienced driver they are a pain when you are expecting the vehicle to slide or spin the wheels. They will not let you dig out or drift through a tough situation to the extent a vehicle without it would. No more fishtailing or giving it [censored]. It is important to have all tires be the same for the stabilitrac to function properly especially in winter. The calculations the vehicle does are based on that assumption.

Gm has also been using "torque management" since the early 2000s. This does not help traction but keeps you from breaking the rear end loose on dry pavement in a way. It can not be turned off without modification to ecm programming.

Last edited:
As far as I know, regardless of the GM vehicle is it has Stabilitrak then it has TC.

In a 2wd truck, throwing an inexpensive LSD or locker in the rear and a set of snows will help you get moving a lot better than any traction control system. I turn off the TC on any car I own that has it, it's awful. In my Volt, turning it off allows much more control over power delivery BUT it does not completely disable the underlying stability control, in case I skid/spin. It's my preferred mode in the winter.

I can't answer your first question, but traction control should help a bunch in winter. I ordered a 2001 2WD with traction control, and the locking rear end was required with that option. The TC has really done a good job of getting me going in snow.

I try to fill up with gas when snow is forecast, and then I shovel the bed full of snow while digging out the truck. It works better than you'd imagine a 2WD shortbox could.

Originally Posted by Corollaman
I've got a basic 2011 Silverado work truck, I know it has ESC because it has a button to turn it off, was traction control standard too? This is a 2 wheel drive single cab. How much, if any will these systems help in the winter? It has new tires and came with two new winter studdless tires on wheels.

Traction control will help keep you from going sideways taking off from a stop, ESC will try to keep your track where you want to go while moving. Neither can defy the law of physics of either crap traction or poor tires and like any system they can't save you immediately.

My first car with ESP ('03 VW Golf) I almost kissed a wall in, had I not had ESP I would have. It was mid-low 30's and had recently rained so roads were damp. 8 mile drive home and no traction issues until I hit the cloverleaf off ramp at my exit and hit a patch of ice and/or oil about halfway through the cloverleaf that sent me into a straight trajectory for the wall. Ramp was under construction so had the concrete barrieriers on each side, despite a good 6-7' clearance off the wall from the start of the slip the ESP did not pull my track together until I was probably well under 6" from my front end kissing the wall.

Great system but don't expect it to defy physics.

LOL, I'm old. When I saw "ESC", I immediately went to these badges, which were on my parents' 1982 Silverado.

ESC 1982.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back