Valvoline zddp content 10w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
anybody have voas or pds showing zddp value for valvoline convention vs maxlife synthetic blend vs maxlife full synthetic vs vr1 high zinc vs vr1 high zinc full synthetic?

thanks...

Last edited:
Alright so all Valvoline, Castrol, O'Reilly, Chevron, 5w-30 and 10w-30 (gasoline) oils at the local O'Reilly were GF-5 (except for M1 High Mileage 10w-30 but I don't want to use that), so I guess not enough ZDDP for my Chevy 350 TBI which is a flat tappet cam. I needed to top up the truck I just bought and I'm going to do an oil change soon so I bought Delo 10w-30 synthetic blend. Price-matched to Walmart at $16/gallon. Beats paying a lot more for Valvoline VR1 on Amazon or ordering Royal Purple HPS (which is what I ran in my last Chevy TBI and it was great, only problem is I don't want to spend so much on oil and I can't buy it locally). I don't want to run a 10w-40 or 20w-50 which are the ones that don't meet the GF-5 requirements.

Is Delo 10w-30 synthetic blend a higher zinc oil? I can't find any recent information on this. It is CK-4/SN: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Chevron-...0-Heavy-Duty-Motor-Oil-1-gallon/35950292

Last edited:
I think since the implementation of SN Plus, many formulations have changed. I would wait for PQIA or bitogers to publish/post new VOAs before determining actual numbers.

Go to some farm supply store or similar and look at STOU oils if you want oil high on ZDDP (hence GL4 specification)
wink.gif
These are usually in 10w30 grade wich you want...and also cheap

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kamele0N
Go to some farm supply store or similar and look at STOU oils if you want oil high on ZDDP (hence GL4 specification)
wink.gif
These are usually in 10w30 grade wich you want...and also cheap

STOU???

Originally Posted by SilverFusion2010
Anything API SN is going to be zinc limited. Find a 10w-30 HDEO that isn't dual rated

Hmm, OK, any suggestions on what I should use instead? I just assumed that a non-GF-5 HDEO (in thsi case the Delo 10w-30) was going to have more Zinc/ZDDP than a regular oil like Valvoline Maxlife (which is what I would have run if this was a 96+ without flat tappet cams). What about Motorcraft 10w-30? Pretty sure it's not SN rated because their product page on their website specifically states NOT to use it in engines with cats, and right on the front of the bottle it says "high phosporous"

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dogememe

never heard of that. that isn't going into my truck lol.

BUT it has all the goodies you are asking for...

Such a stigma because of the T letter in that acronym
smile.gif

Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver
Originally Posted by SilverFusion2010
Anything API SN is going to be zinc limited. Find a 10w-30 HDEO that isn't dual rated

Only 30 and lower grades are limited.

He said he didn't want to step up to a 40 so I didn't bother mentioning this. You are correct though.

You DO NOT need a high level of Zn in your '95 275K 350. That is an old myth that just won't die. High Zn is required for modified engines with high lift camshafts and high valve spring pressures which your Chevy does not have. That engine is well broken in. Now, if you were installing a NEW cam/lifter combo I WOULD use a break in lube on the cam/lifters and do a cam break in according to what engine builders do with modified engines. After the break in you can run whatever oil. Anything over 800ppm ZN is fine for your engine. Flat tappet cam/lifter wear begins at below 600-700ppm.

I did a huge amount of research on this subject when I bought my '93 F150 in 2003 with a flat tappet, 1960's designed, engine. My conclusion was use what the OM says (not thicker and not thinner) and don't use ILSAC GF5 oils (Energy Conserving/Resource Conserving). These oils tend to be on the Low KV@100c and have lower Zn levels and lower HTHS to achieve better fuel economy. I use HM oil because they are on the "thick" (HTHS and KV) side and I like staying with ACEA A3 oils.

If you want an oil with high ZDDP, you need Valvoline VR1 or an oil that meets Ford WSS-M2C171-F1.
Delo 10w30 CK-4 is another dumbed down low additive oil for the emissions crowd.
Delo
Any reason you are resistant to a 15w40 diesel oil, especially with that mileage? That makes the choice much easier.
The 1995 350 TBI I had did very well on a steady diet of Rotella.

Last edited:
Well I just dug through my receipts and the last oil change was done with 7 months ago with Maxlife 10w-40 and a Wix 51036. I think the previous owner and I are on the same page with oil and filter brands! lol. I just don't see the need for a 40-weight unless something is wrong with the engine. I'm not a thin oil guy but I'm not a thick oil guy either.

I would happily use Valvoline VR1 10w-30 but the only weight I can easily acquire without having to pay far too much on Amazon is 20w-50 which is stocked at O'Reilly. Can't order anything thinner for the same reason I can't get Royal Purple HPS in the store... California bans sale of most oils that don't meet the latest API requirements.

Do we know what has more Zinc between Maxlife 10w-30 and Delo 10w-30? And I'm assuming the Delo since it's not GF-5 will be a "thicker 30wt" so to speak?

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
d don't use ILSAC GF5 oils (Energy Conserving/Resource Conserving). These oils tend to be on the Low KV@100c and have lower Zn levels and lower HTHS to achieve better fuel economy. I use HM oil because they are on the "thick" (HTHS and KV) side and I like staying with ACEA A3 oils.

Thing is pretty much all high mileage 10w-30 oils ARE GF-5. Mobil1 HM 10w-30 is an exception but I am not a huge Mobil fan.

Last edited:
Isn't the T5 10w30 CK- 4 still high in zddp or is this thread to old?

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/4377748/Searchpage/7/Main/268751/Words/%2BRotella+%2BT5+%2B/Search/true/shell-rotella-t5-10w-30-api-ck-4#Post4377748

Originally Posted by Duffyjr
Isn't the T5 10w30 CK- 4 still high in zddp or is this thread to old?

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/4377748/Searchpage/7/Main/268751/Words/%2BRotella+%2BT5+%2B/Search/true/shell-rotella-t5-10w-30-api-ck-4#Post4377748

you're gonna hate this but i would prefer to avoid sopus too, just like i'm not a huge mobil fan. i would use an oil from the following brands: royal purple, valvoline, castrol, oreilly, chevron

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back