Found a video on 6F35 disassembly

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know quite a few people on here drive vehicles that use the 6F35 trans, my car included. I was poking around the internet, and I found this video of an apparently experienced transmission mechanic tearing down a 6F35 transmission. The video says it's out of a 2013 Escape, but it's basically the same 6F35 trans that has been used from 2009-today.

Not sure what exactly everyone will take away from the vid, but I found it interesting to watch. Really goes to illustrate why the transmission filter in these is called "non-serviceable".

Originally Posted by Greggy_D
I can't believe he is not wearing gloves.

Yeah, that was my 2nd thought.. a good set of nitrile gloves will go a long way, and IMHO won't interfere with good manual dexterity.

Funny thing is the 6Fxx transmissions are historically very strong.

It's the GM version that's had issues. They used a wave plate that was not properly heat treated and would fail, sometimes with terrible results depending on where the chunks ended up. I've had them come in completely locked up: no forward or reverse, no neutral, just locked. I've never seen a Ford version fail.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
48 minutes? Where's the part about the filter?

To see how the filter is inside the trans, go to about 32:50 in the video. That's when he starts in on the "2nd half" of the transmission.

Originally Posted by Inspecktor
The fluid coming out of looks black, more like well used motor oil.

If it's genuine Motorcraft Mercon LV that's completely normal unfortunately.

Originally Posted by dogememe

Agree. But it's not all ATFs... the Amsoil ATL that has been in my 6F35 for nearly 40k is still almost the exact same shade of red as when it went in. About another 5k miles (likely springtime) I am going to drain the ATL for the first time and will send in a UOA on it and get TAN as well. It's still shifting as well as it did after D&F nearly 3 gallons of the old Mercon LV out of it. Maxlife ATF in my Odyssey makes it to around 20k before it starts to change color, and that's also where I dump one caseful and replace it (about 3.8 quarts). I know the Mercon LV is synthetic, but it just doesn't seem to be a very robust fluid.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo

Agree. But it's not all ATFs... the Amsoil ATL that has been in my 6F35 for nearly 40k is still almost the exact same shade of red as when it went in. About another 5k miles (likely springtime) I am going to drain the ATL for the first time and will send in a UOA on it and get TAN as well. It's still shifting as well as it did after D&F nearly 3 gallons of the old Mercon LV out of it. Maxlife ATF in my Odyssey makes it to around 20k before it starts to change color, and that's also where I dump one caseful and replace it (about 3.8 quarts). I know the Mercon LV is synthetic, but it just doesn't seem to be a very robust fluid.

It's not the robustness it's the dye. It is just as robust as ATF+4 and Dexron VI.

I know the Mercon LV is synthetic, but it just doesn't seem to be a very robust fluid.

And that's why Ford had to put out a technical bulletin to their service people (mechanics, etc) advising to NOT use the color of Mercon LV as being indicative of anything (anymore).

Where's the reassembly video ?
grin.gif

I know the Mercon LV is synthetic, but it just doesn't seem to be a very robust fluid.

In Ford's spec sheet for Mercon LV ist's listed as ...manufactured with high-viscosity index premium-quality hydroprocessed base oils and specialty designed performance additives... This does not look like it's a synthetic base. Other Mercon ATF's specifically use the wording synthetic, if it's all or a partial blend. I'm sure it's a good ATF for the Ford transmissions that require it, though the loss of red coloring so quickly does fool you. But I doubt it's good for 150,000 miles as Ford says in the OM, That's 90,000 miles after the warranty expires
smirk.gif

Whimsey

Originally Posted by Whimsey

In Ford's spec sheet for Mercon LV ist's listed as ...manufactured with high-viscosity index premium-quality hydroprocessed base oils and specialty designed performance additives... This does not look like it's a synthetic base. Other Mercon ATF's specifically use the wording synthetic, if it's all or a partial blend. I'm sure it's a good ATF for the Ford transmissions that require it, though the loss of red coloring so quickly does fool you. But I doubt it's good for 150,000 miles as Ford says in the OM, That's 90,000 miles after the warranty expires
smirk.gif

Whimsey

Ford announced upon the unveiling LV specs require group III basestocks at the least. LV could be met with group II but PAO would have to me blended to meet the requirement. Ford wanted flexibility for blenders to meet the spec. LV is a good spec and it's not something which could be met with "conventional" basestock alone.

Originally Posted by Inspecktor
The fluid coming out of looks black, more like well used motor oil.

No way. Yes, LV gets dark during use, but I've drained my 6F35 multiple times, and after 30,000 miles, it's more of a "grape kool-ade purple".. The stuff coming out of the trans in that video is straight up BLACK. Also, at least to me, it looks quite a bit thinner than it should be. It's been in there WAAAY too long, or the trans has been abused. If I had to guess, I'd say at least 90,000 miles, if not longer, or it got overheated a few times.

One thing is for sure... I'm not letting THAT guy work on my transmission!

LOL! I was feeling pretty good with him at first, but after a while, I started to wonder about him... especially when he was using that pry bar to get at the snap ring around 16:50 and broke the case. Once he said "oh, I'll just put the snap ring back so the open spot fits here", my confidence in him was more or less gone. He clearly knows his way around the guts of a transmission, but I question his methods.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Where's the reassembly video ?
grin.gif

I looked for one too. Couldn't find it. I do have to wonder - did he actually reassemble that thing, or did he break too much inside it for it to be serviceable?

I didn't watch the entire thing but he did mention with some parts that they'd be replaced while many would be re-used. Did he break that internal piece of the casting ? I thought he implied it was already broken and it wasn't the first time he's seem them break like that.

The snap ring removals were funny. Does he know that there are tools specifically made for removing and installing them vs prying them with a big pry bar ?

I didn't watch the entire thing but he did mention with some parts that they'd be replaced while many would be re-used. Did he break that internal piece of the casting ? I thought he implied it was already broken and it wasn't the first time he's seem them break like that.

The way I heard it, he was saying it's the second time he's worked on these 6F35 trans and had that part break on him. He definitely broke an internal piece of the casting off.

The snap ring removals were funny. Does he know that there are tools specifically made for removing and installing them vs prying them with a big pry bar ?

Apparently not. Seemed to me like he was using the wrong tools for the job at least a few times. Also, the way he took that piston out, I have to wonder how much of that 'tear' was caused by him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back