I put 15W40 in my L83 Ecotec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curiosity got the best of me today.

I got 8 qts of Mobil Delvac 1300 15W40 and did an oil change on my 2015 silverado 5.3L

I was curious what differences in oil pressure there would be since it seems it has always stayed about the same for the last 120k miles. Weather its 20* F starts or Summer time.

Since the new vettes are using 0W40 i figured it would do no harm to try in the truck.

Oil pressure is only 5psi higher than it was before (M1 0W20). I was supprised it wasnt higher. Driving 70 hwy its about 45 psi now whereas before it was about ~38. Hot idle before was ~30-32 now its probly ~35

Still silent running. Feel like i lost A tiny bit of response from a stop with light throttle( like in a parking lot ).

Just gonna run it for a short oci and go back to my stash of 20wt M1.

D3D6EE38-B373-4EBD-8EB3-C8DBF65A48B2.jpeg

Originally Posted by CT8
Idaho winters are cooler than Fla winters.

Sure are. Its still kinda warm right now. 70 day and 35-40 at night

I would have probably used it in the mid to late Spring and into the entire summer so you wouldn't feel the need to change it early, but it'll work for now.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
I would have probably used it in the mid to late Spring and into the entire summer so you wouldn't feel the need to change it early, but it'll work for now.

This. ^^^

It would have been a great summer oil, but it will still work fine. I would run it for the entire normal interval, unless you experience some diffficult starts, which I doubt you will. No need to waste it by dumping early.

Life would be no fun if we didnt mix and match ,,,lol,,I have used 15w40 on top of my 5w30, no worries....which proves, it will not blow your engine... 15w-40 a pour point of -30 something...if your living somewhere where its -30 everyday,,u better move,,,imho

Just FYI: When I used 5w-20 in my B2500 van I noted a very slight decrease in hot oil pressure at speed. Idle oil pressure was about he same. When I tried 10w-40 hot oil pressure at speed was slightly lower than 10w-30. Hot idle oil pressure was about the same as 10w-30. At idle 5w-20 made the engine noisy. 10w-40 made it very quiet. During warm up driving cycle with 10w-40 it felt like I was driving with a trailer with no wheels. It was also sluggish after warm up. I used the Dodge for this example because it's the only vehicle I have with a real oil pressure gauge.

Originally Posted by CourierDriver
Life would be no fun if we didnt mix and match ,,,lol,,I have used 15w40 on top of my 5w30, no worries....which proves, it will not blow your engine... 15w-40 a pour point of -30 something...if your living somewhere where its -30 everyday,,u better move,,,imho

Pour point isn't really end all be all of cold weather performance. I agree with others that if you must do something beside run a 5w30 in that thing, late October in Idaho seems like a weird choice but it should be serviceable unless multiple deep cold snaps come that put extra strain on everything.

And FYI, -30f isn't the end of the world as long as it doesn't stay there past a week. I ran 10w40 in a FJ60 Land Cruiser at those temps for several weeks at a time but with a block heater.

Originally Posted by s2krunner
New Corvette engine and your 5.3 is not same engine.

Understood. Are you implying 15W40 will harm his engine?

Looking at viscosities at 100c, 20 and 30 weights are almost the same. Very close. So going from 20 to 30 is almost no difference. So i tried a 40 wt. My 5.3 is almost the same as the l86 6.2L that is also specd for 0W20 in the trucks.

For sure im going to be using my M1 0W20 or 5W20 after this. Just wanted to try a "thicker" oil.

Truck acts better with cold engine with the thinner, specd, oil. Obviously.

I think 5w-30 is the thickest I would go. I believe there is a bulletin out stating to only use 0w-20 and that is what the engine was designed for. There is an oil cooler and an 8 qt. sump. So I can only imagine a 5w-30 needed in a hot climate while towing and extensive use of the upper end of the tachometer.

Originally Posted by zfasts03
I think 5w-30 is the thickest I would go. I believe there is a bulletin out stating to only use 0w-20 and that is what the engine was designed for. There is an oil cooler and an 8 qt. sump. So I can only imagine a 5w-30 needed in a hot climate while towing and extensive use of the upper end of the tachometer.

I'm not buying it. The difference in actual thickness between a 15W40 and 0W20 is very minor. This becomes more apparent at operating tempatures. If the engine was this sensitive it would fail during winter use.

Originally Posted by dave1251

I'm not buying it. The difference in actual thickness between a 15W40 and 0W20 is very minor. This becomes more apparent at operating tempatures. If the engine was this sensitive it would fail during winter use.

How would we know?

How many people are running 15w40 in cold climates for no reason and sharing that data when they had failures because of it?

Originally Posted by jayg

How would we know?

How many people are running 15w40 in cold climates for no reason and sharing that data when they had failures because of it?

The engine would fail with 0W20 in winter use. It is thicker at 32F then a 15W40 at 60F. Is this too much for you? I can provide charts if you wish.

Originally Posted by s2krunner
New Corvette engine and your 5.3 is not same engine.

Understood. Are you implying 15W40 will harm his engine?

No.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back