Auto or stick in a pick up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Trav

I didn't even know there was a disagreement. Its just preference. Its hard for me to compare trucks as the last one i owned with a stick was a Unimog 416 and I don't think that quite qualifies as a pickup but it could pull alright.
I love automatics in old American land yachts, a 70 Eldo 8.2 with a stick is just all wrong.

You can get Unimogs here, but you probably know that. About 20 years ago when I in the Navy a buddy of mine had one. Was an old medical truck. It was awesome.
It certainly was built to last!

The ones I got were used German City trucks, mine had a bad 80 HP engine which I swapped out for the 110 HP, these were 60's and 70's vintage. Over the years I picked up a few mogs from the rail service and military sales for cheap money (today they cost a fortune even in that condition). Most needed engines or other work but were otherwise in okay shape. I like mogs, one of the most awesome machines ever made IMO.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
Originally Posted by 02SE
Maybe an NV5600 is in order.

Now there's a real piece of trash.

Well, it's at least a stronger option to the NV4500 that apparently keeps failing in A_Harman's truck.

I like a manual as much as the next person, but when buying the RAM last year, the choice was the G56 with a seriously detuned Cummins and lowest tow rating. The 68rfe with a higher output Cummins and a higher tow rating. Or the Aisin AS69RC behind the HO Cummins with the highest tow rating. Yes, you can tune any of them. But it's nice to have an all-stock quiet truck with more than enough capacity to roll down the road in comfort at 35K+ GCVW.

If I pull the trigger on a new Cummins, Max Tow HO with the Aisin is the only package I will consider. You made the right decision.

If Chrysler and Cummins could figure out how to make the drivetrain without an awful Dual Mass Flywheel, the G56 could take all the power thrown at it. G56 isn't the weak link. DMF and clutch are.

Sadly, the NV5600 is just another part of the Rogue's Gallery. You have the masses of people who have blown up multiple NV4500's and want to know how to swap in the NV5600, and masses of people who have blown up multiple NV5600's who swear the "classic and simple" NV4500 is their saviour. Both transmissions are vacation packages for Cummins engines.

The manual transmission/diesel situation is a tough one. The Cummins ISB in its element is paired with transmissions that pretty much no pickup truck driver would ever want to deal with. There are people out there who swap in an Eaton RTO or Fuller FSO transmission and enjoy to the fullest. Mostly Class 8 drivers who already are used to a real commercial truck transmission. The G56 is pretty much the only dedicated commercial diesel engine synchronized transmission that drives like a normal transmission. The ZF is a close contender, but the torque rating is less than a stock Cummins puts out.

I think the answer depends on whether the OP is buying a half ton pickup, or a heavy duty one. The lighter duty trucks sold have been mostly been automatics for quite a while now, they may not even sell stick shifts on the new half ton. In the early 2000's by me, finding a stick shift in any new pickup for sale was virtually impossible without a special order, even the 3/4 and full ton pickups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back