Clear Headlight Cover Correction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking at purchasing a 2016 Jetta GLI and previous owner lived in Idaho and it appears he/she had to drive on sand covered roads because the clear headlight covers are sand blasted pretty bad. The paint has some chips too but I think I can live with touching them up and giving it a good paint correction. The entire car needs some work with my porter cable and I am confident I can get the paint looking decent. Main question is what kind of correction can be done on the clear headlight covers? Haven't really messed around with that in the past and just want to get an idea on what I can expect. I have a few smaller orange and yellow pads and would most likely try Merzena SIP on it. Any thoughts?

It's not like paint, it's a piece of plastic. If they feel rough with your hand I'd start with 400 grit wet sandpaper and work your way up. One of the $20 kits at the auto parts store might be aggressive enough, the $10 turtle wax one plus some 400, 800, 1000, 1500 grit sandpaper would be an alternative. Check out some YouTube videos.

I recently used the Sylvania headlight restoration kit after doing some online research. I couldn't be happier with the result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back