Ford factory filter vs MC FL500

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a Ford Edge earlier this year. I dropped the factory fill and filter at 1500 miles replaced with synthetic blend valvoline. The factory filter was a little larger than the MC fl500 that it calls for. Will try to load pics In the lower photo the larger filter is the factory filter

99ACAB54-5AF2-42E2-B9E5-4E9F98A16E6A.jpeg

7A827BA0-E26A-4EF3-8EDA-9083A8863479.jpeg

Last edited:
I can do a cut but it won't be pretty as I don't have a cutter. Probably can tomorrow.

The factory filter is a Wix. The Motorcraft is a P1.

Ford does this in case someone makes a warranty claim that can help prove whether the owner ever changed the oil.

The factory filter is a Wix. The Motorcraft is a P1.

Ford does this in case someone makes a warranty claim that can help prove whether the owner ever changed the oil.
I suppose that could be one explanation. IMO, the more likely explanation is there's two separate contracts that go out on bid. The assembly line FF being one and the off the shelf OES Motorcraft filter the other.

As for who's making the FoMoCo FF now, most recent anecdotes posted look to be Wix made. However, looking at the topic baseplate on this one, to me it looks to be a Champ Labs filter. It has the metal wrap around and over the top the baseplate diameter, glue used in that seam. Never seen that design on a Wix made filter.

While Motorcraft like P1 made by Purolator, construction and likely efficiency not the same. Most notably, MC uses a thread end bypass.

Here are a couple pics of the factory filter cut open. Used a dremel so if any cuts in the media are visible, that is the reason.

75E71CD7-9086-46C3-8881-D22AF139DE79.jpeg

135F50C7-B73A-49D9-8DA7-B91D0FB6B3E7.jpeg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Arob
Here are a couple pics of the factory filter cut open. Used a dremel so if any cuts in the media are visible, that is the reason.

Wish I could easily buy those for my vehicles. Think it's the perfect filter.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Doesn't really look like a Wix though?
It's not Wix. It's Champ Labs made.
If it was a Wix, it would have a coil spring, not the leaf spring. Very reminiscent of the Champ/Fram made CQ Blues (which unfortunately are Puro now).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back