2018 Dodge Caravan - PentaStar 3.6L V6 Check In

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by sloinker
We have a 2014. It replaced a 2005 Chrysler minivan. Best value on the American err Canadian road imo. The van will return better than 27 mpg on premium gas and 70 mph. On regular gas at 80 she gets 23-25 mpg. The 6 speed transmission can be somewhat harsh in gear engagement which I favor over the too greasy slipping into gear most transmissions do. It now has about 47,000 on it and the original transmission fluid. I plan on changing it and the filter at 50,000. It started life until 40k on Valvoline 5w20 conventional. I went to Red Line 5w20 for the last 7k and will probably go to whatever when it's due again. Normal Battery and tire replacements and the rear evaporator sprung a leak. I capped those lines and recharged just the front which is plenty to cool the whole van and saves me a days labor and a few hundred dollars. The same thing happened to the old van with the same results from me, it is a known issue. I may someday repair it but probably not. Funny story the old Chrysler minivan had 180,000 miles on it when I bought this new van. I was gonna privately sell it for $3500 but the dealer offered $4500 so I traded her in. I rarely drive the van but am always thoroughly impressed when I do. Congrats!

cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
You may want to get the Dorman transmission pan and change the ATF every year if not every OCI. Use any licensed ATF+4 during the warranty period, then use Redline C+ once the warranty expires
smile.gif

I'm going to do a pan drop and filter change at 30K miles (50K KM) and then do spill/fill's there yearly (because I'm heavy on the miles at 50K Km (30K miles) per year). Always have done this any never had an issue. You can get a nice rubber gasket for these pans along with an OE filter and the change is easy to do. (Done my dad's this way and still no failures in 300K). I will be using the ATF+4 Mopar for the first change and then for the second I will move it over to the Amsoil Multi-Vehicle formula. My dad's is on that and I ran it in my Journey with 0 issues. Actually smoothed out the shifting really nicely and shifts far better in the really cold temperatures.

Last edited:
Just finished the change over to Amsoil SSO 0w20 and a Fram Ultra filter going to follow the OLM for this OCI and then again on the next and then do a UOA before finding what the OCI is capable of.

Also put on a Fumoto valve, it's too bad I couldn't get the one off the Journey but the car was a write-off from the accident so it went to the scrap yard.
frown.gif

Anyone in Canada that has a Toyota I have an Amsoil EAK filter and a Fumoto Valve that fits Toyota Vehicles, PM me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by madRiver
Glad you are happy.

That MPG is not great for a 2018 but this is 2012 vintage design with no upgrades to powertrain.

It most likely will get better as the engine loosens up further. But as I don't pay for gas I don't care.
lol.gif

24 mpg is great.

My grandfather's 2014 Grand Cherokee only got 20.6 mpg average driving like a granny to Texas & Oklahoma, and back. A couple tanks of 22 but gas what was weird was when I'd expect the mpg to be better, it was worse, and when I thought it would be worse, it was better!

24mpg is about right as an average. On my last trip, which was about 2500 miles I've had anything from low 22 mpg to high 27 mpg hand calculated. My overall was 25 mpg and change. The terrain, wind direction and local speed limits, all affect the mpg and in a lot of cases by quite a lot.

Yeah, I don't think we ever did better than ~21-22mpg tank/tank on long highway runs with our 2013, but this is with 6 people, packed lightly. Pretty darn good considering.

Day to day use was mid/high teen MPG at best.

Last edited:
I know my dad's on conventional 5w30 with 300K on the clock almost identical mileage when he makes his trips to Boston to see my brother so either my engine is still really tight because it's newer and needs to break in further or his hasn't worn at all and will go forever sort of thing.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
How many quarts do you end up needing when you do the fluid dump and filter change? I'm trying to remember on the old 2005 Chrysler T&C and it seems about 5 quarts is all I needed but my memory may be fuzzy.

My PentaStar V6 takes 6 Quarts (5.6 liters)

The 2005 is either a 2.4 / 3.3 / 3.8 liter engine requiring 5 quarts (4.7 Liters)

Last edited:
I have noticed 9F reduction in oil temperatures with the change over to Synthetic with Fram Ultra filter from the Valvoline Conventional with Valvoline filter since the change I did on Monday and I have driven the same route under the same temperatures. Also the engine noise when driving and hard acceleration has quieted down a bit as well. It also feels like it's not even running when you pull up to the lights once the oil is at operating temperature. Just FWIW.

Last edited:
So far so good with the Caravan with a few thousand KM's added. I think I might have a lazy oxygen sensor in bank 2 (front of the engine) though. Getting some weird readings and some minor unsteadiness at idle. No misfire codes and no pending / set codes but something I'm going to have to investigate.

Can't comment about your symptoms but I think the 3.6 litre 6AT Caravans they are now pushing out the door 'cuz they are ending production represent one 'helluva great automotive value ($CDN 24k, starting) and the technology is well matured. Excellent port injected DOHC engine and bugs-worked-out 6AT transaxle.

Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT
Can't comment about your symptoms but I think the 3.6 litre 6AT Caravans they are now pushing out the door 'cuz they are ending production represent one 'helluva great automotive value ($CDN 24k, starting) and the technology is well matured. Excellent port injected DOHC engine and bugs-worked-out 6AT transaxle.

I bought mine based on the fleet of 95 we had at a previous job of mine. They were 2012-2014's and were fully loaded their whole life dragging parts around, and might have saw maintenance when convenient and not by the book.
All survived. One had a transmission problem (I think this was the driver's fault) but the rest were fine.

My dad owns the one I drove and looked after. It has over 300K on it now and lived its life on conventional oil of the bulk variety.
So for $24K Canadian starting price it's a heck of a value and the reliability is there with this vehicle for sure. Plus parts are really cheap because it's a Domestic and there is so many of them on the road.

And a lot of them are made in Canada
08.gif
so I kinda feel good about that. Especially when it supports the industry I work in. (Machine tools)

Last edited:
3,000km on the Amsoil 0w20 and it hasn't used any amount on the dipstick and the PCV line is dry. I think this engine is quite tight and running extremely well.

Awesome to hear 9 degrees difference in temperature. That seems pretty significant. That's one nice thing about some modern vehicles. The 2013 Silverado I'm driving at work now can display transmission fluid temperature or oil pressure among other things.

Most will never use it but it could be interesting for deciding between different fluids.

Regarding the oil pressure, the oil pump has a low and high side. The pump operates on the high side until the oil reaches about 150 F and when the engine is above 3000 rpm. After the oil reaches 150 F, idle pressure will be about 25 psi and above idle will run about 40 psi. These observations are based on my experience with a '13,'14 and '18 3.6. Good engines, zero oil consumption and good fuel economy. I change oil myself at 5 k using synthetic. Maybe overkill but it gives me an opportunity to give the vehicle a good going over and buying PP and a Mopar filter at Walmart it costs only $30. Note, the 11-13 3.6 uses a different filter than 14-18.

Yeah they use an oil pressure dump solenoid to control the pressures at different temperatures and engine demands for better fuel economy. Dumping excessive oil pressure when it's not required takes stress off the oil pump which is driven by the engine and saves fuel because the engine has to do a little less work driving the pump in these situations.

It's weird to watch the oil pressure on the driver information change not in step with Engine RPM. And like you said when the oil hits a certain temperature the oil pressure drops off immediately when the solenoid does its thing.

Seems to be a durable technology because my dad's 2012 has over 300K and hasn't had any issues. I did some reading and when the solenoid stops functioning it will fail in the correct position to allow maximum oil flow at all times so that starvation doesn't happen. It will just affect the fuel economy. (Smart)

Some manufacturers use the same filter for both filter revisions. You just remove the piece at the bottom that is required for the newer engines. (Instructions are in the box with these type of filters).
Other manufacturers like Fram have 2 different part numbers, I suspect to limit liability of someone that doesn't read the directions and installs it wrong and it causes issues.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
Awesome to hear 9 degrees difference in temperature. That seems pretty significant. That's one nice thing about some modern vehicles. The 2013 Silverado I'm driving at work now can display transmission fluid temperature or oil pressure among other things.

Most will never use it but it could be interesting for deciding between different fluids.

I'm anxious to see what the trans temperature drops to when I get the Mopar ATF+4 out of there in place for a better quality synthetic. But I'm going to drive it to 30K miles (50K KM) before changing just to be sure there isn't any manufacturer defects that pop-up and to allow it to finish breaking in. (There is a large filter inside this transmission pan to catch all the junk anyway).

This should happen next year with the piles of miles I'm adding to it.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
I'm going to try for another mileage record like my Santa Fe with this one. Hoping to get to 1 million kilometers (600K miles).
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back