How long to run M1 EP 5w30 in Fuel Diluter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lexus IS DI w/156k on the clock. UOA and smell test says fuel in oil. Started using M1 EP and thinking of cutting mileage down to 7500 on OCI and use Purolator Boss for filter.

Going to pump out using extractor at 7500 to keep using filter. Could this go beyond 7.5K on this engine or risky to go over?

Thx

Can you post the results of the UOA, that would be easier to make a determination.

Also if you know it's a fuel dilution issue, changing the filter is a good thing because you are removing more fuel from the oil by changing this media.

I agree with SteveC, post the UOA. If it is from Blackstone I wouldn't believe a word of it IRT fuel dilution or viscosity measurement.

My nose is unable to accurately determine fuel dilution, most of my oil smells like fuel to me all the time. But an analysis by Polaris showed it to be minimal.

Assuming a good UOA done by Polaris (for example) shows higher than desired fuel dilution, I'd suggest limiting your OCI to 5K miles and I might suggest a stouter oil like Castrol Edge.

When I ran M1 0W-40 oil in my Turbo Kia, I consistently got fuel dilution figures above 5% (as reported by Polaris) with a major reduction in viscosity and a high oxidation figure (UOA done by both BlackStone and Polaris - dual samples). Switching to Castrol Edge 0W-40 saw a great reduction in oil oxidation and a much lower drop in viscosity over ~5K miles.

Originally Posted by Speak2Mountain
Lexus IS DI w/156k on the clock. UOA and smell test says fuel in oil. Started using M1 EP and thinking of cutting mileage down to 7500 on OCI and use Purolator Boss for filter.

Going to pump out using extractor at 7500 to keep using filter. Could this go beyond 7.5K on this engine or risky to go over?

Thx

Considering it's got 156K I would what ever oil that was in there. Seems to be doing just fine.

Originally Posted by Speak2Mountain

Thx

What did you useand do before to get the vehicle to 150,000 miles?

You must drive in cold weather with a lot of short trips.

As strange as this might sound, many of my engines are perfectly happy a quart low and end up middle of the safe range.

Why does this matter?

Because you can underfill then later add a little heavier weight oil to top off when things get noisy.

So (for example) you use Mobil ep5w30, you fill one quart less , validate you have enough oil, keep an eye on it then add some (preferably) 40 or 50wt oil of your choice down the road, preferably a heavier grade of mobil like 15w40 or higher but even 10w30ep is slightly better as top off oil.

I would never siphon oil, usually you get the motor hot enough long enough and most of it should vaporize.
If your "making oil" your fill duration has to be reduced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back