To Storage Clean or Dirty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have several mowers, generators and a golf cart which get an oil/filter change once a year. They sit all winter inside but not climate controlled; the generator does get an occasional crank and run. . My understanding is that moisture will collect (North Florida) in the oil when not run to operating temps on a frequent basis.

The question is, should the oil be changed at the end of the season before storage or in the spring ready for a new season?

I change oil in everything before they go to cold storage. I believe the oil turns more acidic as the engine is run, and I don't want that sitting on my bearings all winter.

I should note that I only adhere to this with the important stuff such as vehicles and generators. The mowers, golf cart, etc don't get that treatment due to time constraints.

A good question deserves a good answer, so I will be watching for responses from different parts of the country. I think that fall oil changes are the most important, to remove oxidized oil, acids and contamination from the engine before long term storage. For colder areas up north, fresh oil flows better than contaminated oil so cold starts are easier on the engine with fresh oil and filters installed. Absolute humidity is higher during the summer when air temperatures are higher so again as far as condensation in stored engines, I believe that fresh oil in the fall is still the best for long term storage. What have people in other climates experienced?

My car is stored for 3mo, driven for 3mo, etc. It gets fresh oil and a new filter every 6mo, before storing it.

OPE gets fresh oil once a year when the weather gets cold.

I dont think it really matters but for winter use I like to change in the spring..

if its in storage all winter.. I usually change in the fall so its ready to go.

Treating the fuel, especially gasohol, with Stabil or similar, is a lot more important than new oil-especially if the engine has been run long enough to get the oil hot & boil off moisture regularly.

Originally Posted by compratio10_5
I think that fall oil changes are the most important, to remove oxidized oil, acids and contamination from the engine before long term storage. For colder areas up north, fresh oil flows better than contaminated oil so cold starts are easier on the engine with fresh oil and filters installed.

So how many times have you or your acquaintances experienced shorter service life due to oxidized oil, acids, and/or contamination sitting in the oil sump over 6+ month storage periods?

My guess is there have been zero attributable instances that you or anyone else can reasonably present. Include myself in that group as well.

Fact is, it's a variable that's too difficult to control for because it's impact on service life is minimal.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you've delved into pure conjecture here.

I would change them if they have been run lots of hours . only a few hours maybe not , that being said having important equipment ready to put into service is always a good thing.

Originally Posted by lzhome
My understanding is that moisture will collect (North Florida) in the oil when not run to operating temps on a frequent basis.

Whoever told you that.... Lied to you.

Originally Posted by Imp4
I think that fall oil changes are the most important, to remove oxidized oil, acids and contamination from the engine before long term storage. For colder areas up north, fresh oil flows better than contaminated oil so cold starts are easier on the engine with fresh oil and filters installed.

So how many times have you or your acquaintances experienced shorter service life due to oxidized oil, acids, and/or contamination sitting in the oil sump over 6+ month storage periods?

My guess is there have been zero attributable instances that you or anyone else can reasonably present. Include myself in that group as well.

Fact is, it's a variable that's too difficult to control for because it's impact on service life is minimal.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you've delved into pure conjecture here.

You can let your bearings sit in clean oil for months at a time, or dirty acidic oil. Which would you choose?

I haven't changed the oil in my mowers or Harley in more than two years. No failures. But I'm a little more protective of my race engines, motorhome, generators, etc.

Originally Posted by Lenny5160
Originally Posted by Imp4

You can let your bearings sit in clean oil for months at a time, or dirty acidic oil. Which would you choose?

I haven't changed the oil in my mowers or Harley in more than two years. No failures. But I'm a little more protective of my race engines, motorhome, generators, etc.

What leads you to believe the used oil is acidic!?

I was going to ask the same thing. Unless the buffers that control pH are depleted then it's not going to happen.

Plus people imagine that as oil sits it acidifies which is also not true.

Originally Posted by kschachn
I was going to ask the same thing. Unless the buffers that control pH are depleted then it's not going to happen.

Plus people imagine that as oil sits it acidifies which is also not true.

So we agree that combustion does create acids?

The oil additive package is designed to offset this, yes. In lieu of sending samples of all oil in for analysis prior to storage to ensure that the additives have not been depleted, I simply choose to change the oil.

You gas situation is magnatudes more important than changing the oil in the fall or spring. Most OPE doesn't even get regular changes. I run the oil for several years in lightly used equipment. Keep them topped off with non ethanol.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by hatt
You gas situation is magnatudes more important than changing the oil in the fall or spring. Most OPE doesn't even get regular changes. I run the oil for several years in lightly used equipment. Keep them topped off with non ethanol.

Got that covered thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back