radiator cleaner on the inside than the outside? Looks good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just had my radiator replaced about a week ago and kept the old one. I figured I'd take a look inside and it literally was brand new looking. The truck has 130,000 miles and 6,000 engine hours. (city driving) All I used was the factory G05 coolant and distilled water and changed it every 5 years. Is this pretty much to be expected? The old radiator started bulging at the sides and leaked, nothing to do with the coolant.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if the shop that replaced it used distilled water. I meant to go buy a few gallons and throw them in the passenger front seat, but it slipped my mind.

Heat and cool, pressurerize and depressureize, expand and contract..................... thousands of times.

Plastic tanks?

They all crack eventually.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by user52165
Heat and cool, pressurerize and depressureize, expand and contract..................... thousands of times.

Plastic tanks?

They all crack eventually.

I'm not complaining. It made it 11 years.

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
I just had my radiator replaced about a week ago and kept the old one. I figured I'd take a look inside and it literally was brand new looking. The truck has 130,000 miles and 6,000 engine hours. (city driving) All I used was the factory G05 coolant and distilled water and changed it every 5 years. Is this pretty much to be expected? The old radiator started bulging at the sides and leaked, nothing to do with the coolant.

Yep, the aluminum radiator's don't crud up like the copper ones.

Hope you all know these garages don't ever use distilled water in cooling systems. They get the garden hose at and fill her up. Probably get some nasty contaminated "carry to the car" jug and dump the tap water in.

slomo

Originally Posted by slomo
Hope you all know these garages don't ever use distilled water in cooling systems. They get the garden hose at and fill her up. Probably get some nasty contaminated "carry to the car" jug and dump the tap water in.

Which is more than fine if the tap water has low mineral content such as comes from surface supplies (like Lake Michigan here in southeastern Wisconsin). But if it comes from a well as it does in the suburbs, that can significantly load the chelation compounds in the new coolant. I know of one dealer in the suburbs that uses RO water for Toyota red coolant (not needed for the pink).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back