TUFOIL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive done some research on it and according to reviews on amazon its amazing stuff. ive used it with short intervals and i could tell a difference but is it bad long term? Just looking for thoughts, experiences and opinions.

As you'll learn from being on this forum, most of these additives are nothing more than Snake Oil.
Do they do any harm? IDK!

However, do they actually benefit you engine beyond good/proper motor oils while they are taking your money?
Not from what I've learned over the 13 yrs on this forum.

What I do know it that TUFOIL has been around longer than I've been a member here.

If you search here you will find several if not numerous threads about this product. Note that on the Tufoil website they give no technical test results that validate any of their (vague) claims, only worthless testimonials. This is typical for additive sellers and indicates to me that it does nothing. It's not as if there aren't standardized tests that could be run to prove efficacy.

The product contains PTFE, a use for which was disavowed by DuPont years ago. At one time Tufoil had a testimonial on their site that stated the product cured a warped block. I couldn't find that one this time around.

You know more about it than 98% of the people here because you actually used it.
I'd go with your own gut on this.
Most here will tell you to use a premium motor oil sans additives. To each his own.
As the above poster noted- many threads here on this and other additives!

Amazon reviews are like a mixed bag .6 of one half dozen of another. I suspect that many positive reviews on Amazon are probably written by shills and many negative reviews are likely written by other competing companies like slick 50, Lucas oil treatment or some other additive company. Maybe it is 100% organic grass fed snake oil now. I have yet to see an manufacturer that recommends an oil treatment. Consumer reports did an article/study several years back that showed zero benefits to using oil treatments and this was back in the late 90's if I recall and oil has improved since then. "Is That Additive Really a Negative?" was the name of article and will come up in a search.

Last edited:
Why would an auto manufacturer "recommend" any oil treatment? They would have no way to enforce that you the customer were actually using the stuff correctly or at all, even if they know it to be beneficial. There is also nothing lucrative in it for them, for example General Motors cannot squeeze the additive makers with GM's own proprietary 'standards' the way they can squeeze big motor oil manufacturers with their 'dexos' licensing scheme.

Originally Posted by wdn
Why would an auto manufacturer "recommend" any oil treatment? They would have no way to enforce that you the customer were actually using the stuff correctly or at all, even if they know it to be beneficial. There is also nothing lucrative in it for them, for example General Motors cannot squeeze the additive makers with GM's own proprietary 'standards' the way they can squeeze big motor oil manufacturers with their 'dexos' licensing scheme.

I agree.
Auto MFGs already have their oils & lubricants made to their specification.
And some other examples:
Most owner's manuals don't require fuel system additives.
Nor do they require/recommend undercoatings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back