D1G1 to D1G2 ... New UOA's needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been doing regular UOA's with Pennzoil Platinum D1G1 oil to determine my comfort level with taking changes out to the OLM recommendation. Now that I am getting some usable data, the only PP I can find is D1G2 so I *may* be using it even though the engine (2017 Pentastar 3.6L) is not direct injected/forced induction and presumably needs no LSPI protection.

Will the change in the oil's formulation necessitate a new round of tests to validate my usage parameters?

Last edited:
dexos1 Gen2 is not just for LSPI. It also has timing chain wear tests added, oxidation/deposit tests, & aeration foaming tests on top of the old dexos1 Gen1.
New round of tests? No. The latest PP is as good or better than the last version.

Originally Posted by doyall
I have been doing regular UOA's with Pennzoil Platinum D1G1 oil to determine my comfort level with taking changes out to the OLM recommendation. Now that I am getting some usable data, the only PP I can find is D1G2 so I *may* be using it even though the engine (2017 Pentastar 3.6L) is not direct injected/forced induction and presumably needs no LSPI protection.

Will the change in the oil's formulation necessitate a new round of tests to validate my usage parameters?

I'd just do the UOA at the same distance that the previous version of oil was tested and move on from there.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
It's actually SN plus that deals with LSPI, but it's common for the newest SN Plus to also have the D1G2 designation. Use with confidence.

d1G2 went live before SN+, September '17 compared to May '18.
I think GM may have acted relatively quickly because some of their DIT engines were having severe LSPI problems!
It is nice that SN+ covers some grades beyond the 0W/5WXXs that can get d1G2 or d2.

... Use with confidence.

Forgive me, but that sounds like nothing but marketing hype. Got anything factual that will instill confidence?

... Use with confidence.

Forgive me, but that sounds like nothing but marketing hype. Got anything factual that will instill confidence?

Https://www.Dexostrc.org

I recommend reading the registration manual including the list of the testing required.
smile.gif

Last edited:

Https://www.Dexostrc.org

I recommend reading the registration manual including the list of the testing required.
smile.gif

Factual and interesting information, Thank you.

But I am more concerned with issues along these lines (considering the significantly lower calcium levels in SN+/D1G2 oils) as the parameters of my engine usage are likely to be 'acid' producing:

:....

With the shifting balance of inorganic to organic acid contamination, it becomes more important to choose the proper tools for the evaluation of lubricants and to correctly interpret the results. In an attempt to demonstrate this issue, three detergent technologies have been compared in a bench test evaluation: A calcium phenate, a calcium sulfonate and a magnesium sulfonate. Three fully-formulated lubricants, identical in every way except for the detergent, were treated with a 5 acid number (AN) of oleic acid, a weak organic acid. In addition, the same amount of acid was added to base oil as a reference case.

Acid Neutralization Test AN Increase (graph did not reproduce - sorry)

As shown in Figure 1, the magnesium sulfonate did not reduce AN at all over the base oil case. The greatest reduction in AN was observed with calcium phenate, but calcium sulfonate also afforded a meaningful reduction in D664 AN. This difference would indicate that the magnesium sulfonate detergent does not completely neutralize a weak acid, thus preserving its BN while allowing the AN to increase and a corrosive environment to be created. Judging the quality of a used engine oil solely on its BN retentional in some cases may not be recommended.

...."

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/354/reserve-alkalinity-oil

... Use with confidence.

I'll up that and say use with confidence, but verify. Trended UOAs generally involve using the same product over and over. Technically, the product has changed, so the "best" way to do it going forward would be a VOA of the new product and a coupe UOAs as you progress. That would apply mostly if you were pushing the limits of the OCIs, though.

In ordinary practice, it won't matter a bit, or try PUP instead.
wink.gif
Seriously, though, using as directed a product that meets specifications shouldn't be giving you any nasty surprises.

https://www.dexostrc.org I recommend reading the registration manual including the list of the testing required.
smile.gif

Factual and interesting information, Thank you.

Yes thanks Snagglefoot, your URL has a good summary of what is in dexos1 Gen2. It can be used with http://www.aftonchemical.com/Afton/media/PdfFiles/Specification_Handbook.pdf (search on the word "dexos" in there) although the Afton document only covers dexos1 Gen1 albeit with nice limits and supporting numbers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back