How much fuel do you keep in your tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on the vehicle:

On the 07 Explorer, generally just under a 1/4 of a tank. With a 22 gallon tank, and a thirsty V8, it doesn't leave a ton of wiggle room.

On my F150, when the low fuel warning comes on most of the year - and a 1/4 tank in the winter. I've got the optional 36 gallon tank. When I'm at a 1/4 of tank, I typically still have about 160 miles of range (9 gal x 17.5 mpg). No need to just "fill up".

I prefer to stop as few times at the gas station as possible. I still spend the same with the bigger tank, just fewer stops...

Originally Posted by Shannow
Filled...then run down to around 1/4 before refilling.

I loathe running to the fuel light, as it's that sort of thing that seems to tempt fate to have me actually test the range in a stressful situation.

Ditto

For daily driving commute, never under 1/4 usually between 1/4 and 1/2. On long trips usually fill up around 1/2 tank.

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
what's wrong with you guys? Fill it up once it gets to the halfway mark? I bet most of you stop in at the gas station and waste $5 on something you probably don't need also.

I rarely ever buy anything at a gas station. Stereotype much?

Originally Posted by anndel
Originally Posted by Shannow
Filled...then run down to around 1/4 before refilling.

I loathe running to the fuel light, as it's that sort of thing that seems to tempt fate to have me actually test the range in a stressful situation.

Ditto

e.g.
One September, my daughter was performing for school at a town 45 miles away...wife gets phonecall at 2PM that they are going to close the road for snow, get to Bathurst and get your kid...rings me in a tizz, what do we do ?

Bring the Nissan, and get here (my work), I'll leave early, and well head over...half way over the light comes on (should be fine, but not if we were stopped), then tells me not to turn it off, she thinks the battery is going out, it blacked out on her twice this week before starting...Don't need that sort of adrenaline...left it running and filled in Bathurst, new battery the next day.

Only time I actually ran out was my first car (no light)...knew I had just enough to get to the service station in the morning on the way to high school...then Dad took it to "work" at 10PM for a couple of hours...I ran out the next morning, but managed to pick the route and corner speed to coast over a mile to the station...not enough inertia to get up the kerb, so ended up borrowing a 5L can to get the car started tens of metres from the pump.

I keep mine typically 3/4 or more full almost all the time.. . Been doing it that way for the last number of years.

Used to be I used to let it run down to a 1/4 of a tank or even less than that. But I have changed over the last number of years.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
The Sonata is my daily driver, usually fill up every 8 days or so, 430 miles roughly. It shows me the range, and if it's less than my 67 mile daily commute, I'll fill it up. I usually only fill up at a Costco by my house at night when I get home from work.

I'm not afraid to use the entire tank and run it all the way down though.

I'll add to this. It's got 6 miles left of range.

But my gauge is a liar. I'll fill it up tomorrow with probably 16.5-17 gallons, in an 18.5 gallon tank. Irritates the heck out of me. That's one reason why I'm not too worried about it getting low.

Mine usually stays above 3/4. 36 gallon tank. If I stop at the store for something I top off.

Does this post have ANY purpose or impact other than increasing post counts? Is anybody actually reading or care what others do for something like this?

Originally Posted by DriveHard
Does this post have ANY purpose or impact other than increasing post counts? Is anybody actually reading or care what others do for something like this?

I have read everyone and find it interesting people are different. And it lets people participate. There are 6 pages of responses. There is your answer. Problem?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ZZman
Originally Posted by DriveHard

I have read everyone and find it interesting people are different. And it lets people participate. There are 6 pages of responses. There is your answer. Problem?

Exactly, it's an "open" forum, other than minor restrictions we may post almost anything. If you don't like it then don't participate.

Back OT, I fill up my fleet trucks every morning. It is inconvenient to stop for fuel in the middle of a busy day, and I like to get E20 at a local Racetrack because they are super busy all the time. Great coffee too.

My wife avoids filling up to the point of being silly. One day she will learn when she has to sit on the side of the road!

I try to keep my tanks at least 1/2 full, and if sitting for awhile, full or close to full. On a long trip, though, I'll run it down as much as needed to get to the next planned stop. There are other occasions where I run it lower, including if filling is not convenient and when running fuel system cleaner through it. (I really only use fuel system cleaner on my 08 Jeep, though, if the 3.8 gets to knocking. A bottle of Techron or a tank of V-Power, along with a couple Italian tune-ups get the job done.)

I usually fill up around 1/4 tank. I never just "throw 10 or 20 bucks in" either. Gas stations to me are a pain, and the less time I spend having to go to them the better. I have a friend who literally will throw 10 bucks in his tank several times a week, and another who will look for the cheapest gas station, or throw in 10 bucks until he can get to the cheapest gas station. I'll gladly spend a couple extra bucks if it means I don't have to drive out of my way.

Fill it up when the "get gas" light comes on.

I used to have a habit of throwing $10-$15 or so in them every other day (or as necessary). I'm sure one of my cars never had more than half a tank the entire time I owned it. Took awhile to break the habit.

Fill to the first click then run until the light comes on then try to stop within 5-10 miles. Didn't get to adventurous with the fuel with my running my C300 on E85 as on a bad day I would see 8-9MPG leaving 16-18 miles of error once the light came on.

Back in my younger days ran my 2010 Mazda 3GT 2.5 a good 22 miles after range readout dropped out. Fill up then was still ~1 gallon less than listed capacity. Have determined that most fuel lights turn on with ~2 gallons left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back