Pulling apart a Tesla Model 3 for reverse engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.
They show a model S on the lead shot, details matter.
Tesla needs a 3 Billion dollar infusion before year end, or they won't meet debt repayment.
And putting all their eggs in a high volume, low margin vehicle, was predictably a bad move.
Shorts will win on Tesla. Won't be pretty the next 6 months for Tesla.

Originally Posted by Danno
They show a model S on the lead shot, details matter.
Tesla needs a 3 Billion dollar infusion before year end, or they won't meet debt repayment.
And putting all their eggs in a high volume, low margin vehicle, was predictably a bad move.
Shorts will win on Tesla. Won't be pretty the next 6 months for Tesla.

I somehow think it is going to be bad for the industry as a whole......

Originally Posted by Danno

Story I read (I thought it was related to an engineer/consultant in the Detroit area that does this kind of thing for automakers - could be the same as this video but I haven't watched it yet) said that Tesla models make higher than normal margin per vehicle and there's room for changes that will increase that margin. Apparently, Tesla has talked to the guy about these things as well. The story involved a teardown of an early Model 3 and Tesla indicated that they had already made some of the changes as production was ongoing, before this analysis was done.

^^ The story I referred to is the same as what this video is based on

Last edited:
Fascinating. The induction motor design with incorporated magnets. Hmmm. And the battery they hacked apart speaks volumes. I think it has 2170 cells! Very cool.

As I understand it, the 2170 cells are the perfect physical size (21mm diameter and 70mm height) for a great balance between capacity and size. It has 50% more physical volume than an 18650 (common Li battery) and double the current capacity (due to the geometry of the cell, size and shape) and is still small enough to be packaged efficiently.

Some 2170's can reach 6000 mAh. Double the 18650, yet only 50% bigger by volume.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Audios
Video is down, anyone have a mirror?

it is on Youtube still...just click the link that pops up saying it is down.

Originally Posted by Cujet
Fascinating. The induction motor design with incorporated magnets. Hmmm. And the battery they hacked apart speaks volumes. I think it has 2170 cells! Very cool.

And that's with existing Li-Ion technology as well - Tesla is using straight COTS Panasonic cells.

Tesla isn't using PM motors - the motor on those is closer to what a passenger subway train(think CTA/New York's MTA/BART) instead of the ones GM and Toyota use that need lots of rare earth metals.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
(I thought it was related to an engineer/consultant in the Detroit area that does this kind of thing for automakers - could be the same as this video but I haven't watched it yet)

Years ago, GM tore down the original Lexus LS400 to see what did Toyota do and especially why it sold for $35K - undercutting Cadillac. The car couldn't be built with GM's methods at the time and this was in the Roger Smith era.

GM's done a great job with the Bolt, but Tesla has much greater name equity for electric, when people think Chevy they think trucks, Corvette/Camaro or shoddy rust buckets from the 1980s-1990s.

Batteries are going to improve and get away from the catch of fire and explode ones in use today. Including the Tesla batteries.Lots of makers are working on new batteries. Motors probably aren't the main thing to improve, it's the batteries. There are Lithium ion batteries that use different construction and are half the weight twice the power and don't burn or explode like current lithium ions. When they get 300 kw hr batteries the same size and weight then a car could be used in Canada in the winter realistically.
49.gif

Toyota is waiting for solid-state batteries before they push BEVs on a wider scale. But that's a way aways.

The Chinese, mostly driven by BYD are using LiFe-P batteries. Supposedly safer despite the fact it uses complex chemistry(lithium-iron phosphate). BYD is having that tech out in buses.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back