Black Plastic Trim Restorer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone,

I have a 2003 Dodge Durango (last year of the original style model) that has black door handles, mirrors, luggage rack and other miscellaneous trim. The black color had faded to dull gray in many places especially under the wiper reveal valance panel in front of the windshield.

I tried lots of other products (Back to Black, various dressings and protectorants and nothing seemed to be able to restore the color or keep it from returning to the chalky look.

Then I found this product https://www.chemicalguys.com/Tire_and_Trim_Gel_16_oz_p/tvd_108_16.htm

I have to tell you how pleased I am with this solution. It restored everything back to the same shiny black shade making it look like new. It is easy to use and a little goes a long way. I rarely endorse any product, but I have to tell you this one that is far superior to the previous ones that I tried.

Good Luck to those of you who have the same washed out chalky black trim like I did.

Thanks for listening.

Report back in a few months and let us know if it still works long term, or its just a short lived dressing. I am looking for something just like this product.

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
Report back in a few months and let us know if it still works long term, or its just a short lived dressing. I am looking for something just like this product.

I know, right?
I give it a few weeks.
Really, I'd like to know how it holds up after the next rain or car wash.

Originally Posted by NYEngineer
I've been using it for about a year. It lasts longer than any other product I've ever used.

Good to know. However can you elaborate a bit more, e.g.,
How long does it last and what other products are you comparing to?

Not being sarcastic, just curious because I'm always looking for new products.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Hello Everyone,

I just finished the 15th wash on my Durango since I applied the Chemical Guys product. Still beads the water like it did when I first applied it. It also doesn't appear to be fading or dulling at all. The Back To Black product would have been long gone by now and would need reapplying.

I also found another use. I recently bought a used 2013 Dodge Dart. The plastic interior door sill trim (inside vehicle) was really scuffed up from the former owner / driver dragging their feet over it. I first cleaned it real good and then applied some of the Chemical Guys product. I then applied a lighter coat after the first coat and buffed it with a Microfiber towel. It now looks like factory new.....so apparently this can help hide scratches on interior trim as well. The trim color is black.

I recommend that you try it first on a hidden area on your car to make sure you are satisfied with the results before tackling a larger area.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back