Interesting set of mods on a mid 90s Commodore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Daughter's latest boyfriend is her first with a car...

VR Commodore, with L27 engine...Oz kept the LN3 inlet manifold for the L27, and it has been modified for "twin throttle bodies", pointing at the sky, through a hole in the hood (bonnet scoop makes it legal)...stage 2 cam...and clearly a MAFless operation with no MAFs present (needs a MAFless tune BTW).

Pulled up the other day while I was sitting here (literally), and as they walked in, I suggested that it was fitted with a spool - "how did you guess that?"...errm, been around the block a few times mate.

I had to shift it last night out of the drive...obviously tight turns are an issue, but more comfortable than with a really tight LSD, the tyres sort of scrub rather than snatch grab.

kid's Dad died about two weeks ago, and apparently it can do a pretty impressive burnout graveside, even with the 3.8, 4L60E, and mini spool.

Last edited:
Hmm... I just pulled out my old copy of the Dad Book and it says "Thou shall not let daughter in a car with a spool..." . Hope it doesn't rain much there.

Pics?

Sorry to hear about his dad. How does he seem?

Originally Posted by Cujet
How about some pics?

Of the car, not the daughter. Don't want to get the leg-humpers here at BITOG going....

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Hmm... I just pulled out my old copy of the Dad Book and it says "Thou shall not let daughter in a car with a spool..." . ...

Mine says the same thing...

Along with "Boy run spool on street have questionable judgement - watch like hawk"...

Sorry about the kids dad though, that has gotta be a tough one...

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Hmm... I just pulled out my old copy of the Dad Book and it says "Thou shall not let daughter in a car with a spool..." . Hope it doesn't rain much there.

Pics?

Sorry to hear about his dad. How does he seem?

What does the Dad Book say about daughters riding in Vega's with 327 small blocks in them?
(I may be lucky to be alive, or at least fortunate that Elizabeth's dad never saw me in that car.)

Have I just learned of a "new" ritual?

Shannow's OP referred to the vehicle, "...it can do a pretty impressive burnout graveside...".

Near us, a young man (an old, stupid boy, really) was killed by a contemporary. Alcohol, ego and a girl was involved.

We were surprised at how many kids have come by to burn out in front of his drive. Many a dollar's worth of tire material shed off.

Is burning out a new memorial thing to do?

Originally Posted by Kira

Is burning out a new memorial thing to do?

Don't know about that but kinda impressed that many kids have cars that can do it.

Originally Posted by A_Harman
What does the Dad Book say about daughters riding in Vega's with 327 small blocks in them?
(I may be lucky to be alive, or at least fortunate that Elizabeth's dad never saw me in that car.)

327 Vegas were in my time, not sure what that edition of Dad Book said. Probably drop the kid if he gets out of the car. I owned POSs so never had that problem.

Shannow, back to the Commodore VR, (nice looking car), is the subject car decent or a thunderdome ride?

WAS decent enough (he bought it for $2,800 which is reasonable)....bit trashy inside (the way 20 year olds ride these days), and some ham fisted mods.

I was more careful with my car at 20...here it is (note silverfish got to the photo LOL, two more forgotten issues).

186 Holden, steel crank, Yella Terra machine ported big valve head, hand blended, Wade 23/60 symetrical cam, SBC lifters, headers, triple 1-3/4" S.U. Carbies, and a single 18" long glass pack muffler.

No Dad's tore me up back in the day...one of them was getting a bit uppity until he decided to "race" me with his GT Falcon...then we got along fine.

IMG_0059.PNG

lots more room around the regular V-6 than the L67 I had...here's how it fits together.

20181101_185312.jpg

Last edited:
The first of them (VN) had the fwd inlet manifold, and the thermostat was at the rear of the manifold...not nice to get at. Then they put it at front, so was now ''normal.'' I haven't seen the twin throttle body thing before. I had a supercharged Calais in today...a bit dissapointed, I didn't notice until I lifted the bonnet. I was wondering if I could find an excuse for another road test...with a bit more jandal this time.

Well that's certainly...different! Can't say I've seen one like that before either.

Silk - I wonder how many will know what a jandal is???

Silk
I was amazed at the open space in that engine bay compared to my VS Caprice, with the supercharged 6...rear thermostat, big loop pipe for the throttle body to the rear entry suipercharger and ABS...was a real pain to do the LIM gaskets, and delete the heating passage into the supercharger (the PVC is interesting).

I loved that car...funny, my wife came home one day with the children goggle eyed..."what did you do with the car" ?

Why ?

An XR-6 pulled into the left turn lane an I could see he was going to race us, so I didn't let him, and the car has never gone so hard...

hmmm...

10psi pulley and 1.9 ratio rockers on the inlets (thanks to userfriendly for the heads up on the latter).

Now, back to the thread...

rookie mistake is that the people (singular or plural) trying to push a broken down car with a spool into a reverse park...should be the people (singular or plural) who put the spool in in the first place.

Real life adventure story, on hard lock it's like trying to push the Christopher Reeves superman backwards by pushing on the pectoral muscles.

It is satisfying when you push hard enough that one of the tyres chirps.

On the Island, one of the locals would line tow his HD track car with welded diff - he'd put in a chopped dummy axle for the tow to the track and home again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back