Did this battery need replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Background:

My parents have a 2010 Altima (V6) that is driven infrequently. On average, it is driven once or twice per month for short distances. Under these operating conditions, I have found traditional lead acid batteries to last 2-3 years before complete failure (no start).

I recently purchased a new battery tester and have begun to test batteries at least twice a year. When I tested the Altima's battery, it came back with a "fail." I am guessing that this conclusion was primary driven by the CCA (approx 60% of its rated value) and possibly the internal resistance.

So, I returned the battery to Costco and they replaced it under the 42 mo warranty. Costco doesn't test batteries - they just replace them, no questions asked, so I was unable to get test results from a different tester.

I tested the new battery after installation and uploaded those results as well. Obviously those are much better.

Howeber, I am not completely sure that a functional battery with 60% of its rated capacity should always be condemned. I am also not aware of any established limits for internal resistance.

Thoughts?

532B8499-9C8F-41B4-8513-A467714465EF.png

CE6ECCF2-6C3C-4B05-9B66-A479B0A112AD.png

691AB7A6-AE9C-4CE3-9B7D-C3E894CE97FB.png

0D9CD667-E2A6-47C1-A1BE-55D36D74EFC4.png

Of course, this is far from scientific, but climate matters. If it were me testing that battery in the fall up here, I'd definitely consider condemning it, not wanting it to give me a hard time at the worst possible moment. In summer, or in your climate, I might have let it slide a little longer, assuming a failure wouldn't have been too catastrophic.

^ This. Its all about climate and where you are its heat which kills the battery far quicker than colder climates. Me I let them go and change them when they are tired but I wouldn't do that for other people so I would have swapped it as you did.
Try insulating the battery with the foam insulation from HD for 20 bucks, put a layer all around it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-C...oard-Insulation-Sheathing-20WE/207179253

Its not fire proof but fire retardant, I wouldn't put it near an exhaust manifold but in the location of the battery its not an issue. Check it a few times to be sure.
I have used it on a lot of batteries but not in the temps he has.

What is considered 100% charged? 12.7 V? Would a float charger keep this battery topped off ? Both Camrys see enough use. The Rat has 2 yr old battery. I use a 1/2 amp floater monthly. I should check the U-1 in the sit down. It's heading into its 3rd winter. I mostly run batteries to death and then get the nearest available. Last 3 have been Auto Zones.

Originally Posted by Trav
^ This. Its all about climate and where you are its heat which kills the battery far quicker than colder climates. Me I let them go and change them when they are tired but I wouldn't do that for other people so I would have swapped it as you did.
Try insulating the battery with the foam insulation from HD for 20 bucks, put a layer all around it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-C...oard-Insulation-Sheathing-20WE/207179253

I will have to check this out. Thanks!

Originally Posted by andyd
What is considered 100% charged? 12.7 V? Would a float charger keep this battery topped off ? Both Camrys see enough use. The Rat has 2 yr old battery. I use a 1/2 amp floater monthly. I should check the U-1 in the sit down. It's heading into its 3rd winter. I mostly run batteries to death and then get the nearest available. Last 3 have been Auto Zones.

12.6V.

I would have probably left the headlights on for 15min or so
then put it on the smart charger overnight.. let it sit for a couple hours and retested.

for perspective my subarus came with batteries that were 380cca NEW.

I dont think that one needed immediate replacement..
however I would have replaced in next month or so after finding a deal on a battery if the results were similar after charging.

Also in california the options are different than elsewhere... say Ohio on a 5f morning.
Alot harder to use a jumpbox that is 5f in the car after working overnight.

I don't know if the Altima has the same type of charging system my Highlander did but it purposely undercharged the battery to 80%. Upon further investigation they do this to extend the life of the battery. Is it possible with as few trips as they are making in the vehicle and the state of undercharging that a 60% SOC is normal?

Just a thought...

My wife had a 2002 7.3 Powerstroke pick up the batteries would never make 3 years. One would go bad and the other would boil . The Powerstroke ran really bad with a poor batters . Every 2.5 years i would exchange the batteries at Costco. $100.00 to avoid the chance of being stranded is a great deal.

You probably could have used it for a while longer in your climate, but batteries aren't that expensive, and angry parents when their car won't start are never a good thing.
smile.gif

I'd buy a battery maintainer type charger and leave it on all the time. Your folks can disconnect it when they want to use the car. I have three of these:

https://no.co/g1100

They come with a ring type lead that you bolt onto the battery terminals. Just click the charger's cord into the attached connector and charge away. It can be left on 24/7. Keeping the voltage up will definitely reduce sulfation and prolong it's life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back