ford Bronco -any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. What do you think of the Ford Bronco? Specifically the one here:

Ford bronco.

I like the thing cause it is manual transmission, but how reliable are these trucks?

I had no idea you could pull off the top. That is so wicked sweet. What a beast of a vehicle this thing is.

Last edited:
I think the tops always leak on those, otherwise everything that applies to an F-150 applies to it.

it's a short f-150. i haven't ever owned one but have nothing bad to say about it.

Last edited:
I have one! A 1994 that's in pretty poor shape. It's a project. They're one of the coolest vehicles Ford ever made IMO. You really have to watch out for rust. They rust...a lot....in many different places. Mine has rust in all of the usual places, and some not so usual places. That's the biggest problem I have to fix. Just don't buy a white one like I did, or you'll have everyone you come across make some stupid OJ Simpson joke that you've already heard 8,000 times, including people yelling "OJ!" out their window as you drive by.
09.gif

I'll say since they're based on the truck it's a major go. My truck has been really good even though it's received less than stellar care.

Nobody buys a 1996 Ford truck for reliable transportation... not in 2018, anyway. Not busting on Ford or Bronco's, but you did ask about reliability. You have to adjust your expectations that this is an older vehicle and will have age related issues.

New, good engine and drivetrain parts are available in abundance. Forget about good/cheap junkyard interior, body and trim pieces, everyone that has one of these things does whatever it takes to keep them on the road. When one does gets totaled, the vultures descend and within a week or two it's a bare, twisted frame. If it's a shared part with a F150 you'll have better luck.

Originally Posted by HangFire
Nobody buys a 1996 Ford truck for reliable transportation... not in 2018, anyway. Not busting on Ford or Bronco's, but you did ask about reliability. You have to adjust your expectations that this is an older vehicle and will have age related issues.

New, good engine and drivetrain parts are available in abundance. Forget about good/cheap junkyard interior, body and trim pieces, everyone that has one of these things does whatever it takes to keep them on the road. When one does gets totaled, the vultures descend and within a week or two it's a bare, twisted frame. If it's a shared part with a F150 you'll have better luck.

Agreed, I had a 94 Bronco. Stuff starts breaking more often after 24 years.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
But I would NEVER pay 5 grand for one from a used car lot!!!

^^This

That place reminds me of those sleazy "pay by the week" places that has a lot full of hoopties.

Those are going to shoot up in value soon, all of those square trucks are beginning to get old enough to be valuable. I wouldn't pay 5 for it rusted and dented like that, if it was clean that's probably a fair price, especially because of that manual transmission.

Rust drops the value a lot, but you won't see to many of those with a manual and decent interior for that price.

They were a very good 4x4. Fix any things that come up and drive the thing for many years without issue. The front suspension was better than anything GM put under the Blazer or Tahoe of that vintage.

Originally Posted by Chris142
They were a very good 4x4. Fix any things that come up and drive the thing for many years without issue. The front suspension was better than anything GM put under the Blazer or Tahoe of that vintage.

Split Beam Dana 50.....Was NOT that great either! This isn't a GM vs Ford thread!

Split Beam Dana 50.....Was NOT that great either! This isn't a GM vs Ford thread!

The gm front ends won't hold an alignment. The ford will.

The gm front ends won't hold an alignment. The ford will.

BS... I've owned at least half a dozen GMT400s and NEVER had any trouble with alignment or uneven tire wear. Both GM and Ford generally make excellent trucks.

Last edited:

Broncos and F150s had the Dana 44 TTB with coil springs. Only the F250 had the Dana 50 TTB, which had leaf springs.

Thanks for the price info guys. I can definitely see one of these in my future. I think these would make awesome camper cars. Pull off the top in some beautiful state park? Go cruising along a beach during a brisk summer evening with the top off? Sign me up!

Last edited:
I like them & think they are a really good truck......But I would NEVER pay 5 grand for one from a used car lot!!!

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back