Getting new Conti's, good deal at Sears

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got off the phone with Sears. Ordered-in new tires for the old Honda Pilot:

Continental CrossContact LX20 Ecoplus - 235/70R16 106T - All Season Tire

4 Tires + "6 mo alignment" + mount/bal/disposal/etc - coupons - free SYW points + tax = $609.13 for top-tier rated tires & alignment!

I suspect these are closeouts, so I passed on the Road Hazard. I never had much luck with RH anyway, though I heard DT/DTD is better at it. I tried calling the Service Writer and ordering on-line, but since they had to be ordered-in, calling in the order was the way to go. The order taker went out of her way to make sure I got all the possible coupons ($10 off alignment) and points, and called the service writer to confirm the appointment.

These will be replacing the beloved Michelin LTX M/S2's on there for 65K miles. Nothing wrong with them, just getting thin, and I'm not going to wait until they are down to the wear bars. I'd buy them again in a heartbeat but they're no longer available.

I rarely gush about purchases here, and rarely have anything good to say about Sears, but I thought it was a very good deal, and maybe other BITOGer's might be able to get in on it.

Good luck with the tires. I hope you don't drive any dirt or gravel roads, my grandparent's Trailblazer has a set of these and the tread is coming off in chunks, hundreds of chunks in each tire. I'll post a picture later today.

Other than that they're pretty smooth and quiet.

Doesn't sound like a bad deal. I have always had better luck with Walmart or Tires-Easy but with the installation and alignment it isn't a bad deal. Enjoy!

Don't overlook sears for tires when you time it right. Like this.
wink.gif

continental tires have 1year road hazard from continental, requires you to register online.

My camp road is like that - the high mileage LT's tires like LTX or Toyo AT will chip ... the P--metrics do fine.

Sears has closed their auto centers near me. They still have a few batteries inside the store, but the inventory is low. Maybe they won't sell those either.

Take advantage of deals while you can at Sears...I don't believe their long-term prospects are good, especially after looking at "eljefino's" sample above. They can't stay in business with invoices that look like that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: raytseng
continental tires have 1year road hazard from continental, requires you to register online.

Thanks, good to know. I'll do that as soon as I get them.
Originally Posted By: CKN
Take advantage of deals while you can at Sears...I don't believe their long-term prospects are good, especially after looking at "eljefino's" sample above. They can't stay in business with invoices that look like that.

I know what you mean. More reasons I didn't opt for the Road Hazard or the Lifetime Alignment. A good deal is a good deal, I left it at that.

I can't beat eljefino's deal, but at least I got all 4 tires.
smile.gif
I have gotten tools from Sears for free or nearly free, or at great discounts, due to SYW points, granted, earned or otherwise. They sell a fair amount of Lisle and even some OTC direct via the website. I'm done with Craftsman wrenches, sockets and ratchets, but I have gotten a few odd Craftsman tools, like the slide hammer set, which is the from the same OEM as the OTC, and the Nupla (made in USA) deadblow hammers. All great deals after SYW points.
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Good luck with the tires. I hope you don't drive any dirt or gravel roads, my grandparent's Trailblazer has a set of these and the tread is coming off in chunks, hundreds of chunks in each tire. I'll post a picture later today.

Other than that they're pretty smooth and quiet.

You know, every tire I looked at had someone posting a negative review. I saw a review like yours about chunking on tirerack.com, but it was the only one I found. Maybe it was yours?

Anyway this vehicle doesn't go offroad much, the occasional dirt/gravel driveway, which tends to be well graded. So, I think (hope) Parking on grass shoulders for yard sales, now, that's definitely it's style. I could start (and fill) a whole thread about yardsale deals I've gotten while driving that beast around.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
I never had much luck with RH anyway,

I can understand not buying it at Sears since they're about to go belly up but, it's a real [censored] when you get that nail too close to the shoulder and get told that it is "unrepairable".

I am in the process of getting new tires for our mini-van and took the estimate that I got at Sears to my local tire retailer and they priced matched it. This way I got the fire-sale pricing that they have at Sears at a place that I know will be around for a few more years!

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Originally Posted By: HangFire
I never had much luck with RH anyway,

I can understand not buying it at Sears since they're about to go belly up but, it's a real [censored] when you get that nail too close to the shoulder and get told that it is "unrepairable".

Then you go down to the "not so good" part of town and get it repaired. Many of us on here have had those type of punctures repaired and have put more miles on the tires without issue.

I was there last week and asked for a quote on some Radar el cheapo tires installed, 205/55r16. He said about $400 installed and out the door. I asked for the price to buy and carry them, his reply was about $240.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I was there last week and asked for a quote on some Radar el cheapo tires installed, 205/55r16. He said about $400 installed and out the door. I asked for the price to buy and carry them, his reply was about $240.

Yes, other places around town have better base prices on mount & balance. Alignments about the same. Without various coupons that applied, this wouldn't have been such a good deal.

Drove it through a Summer thunderboomer this afternoon. So far, it is living up to its reputation as a great wet tire. I may have, um, pushed things a bit. Tracks straight, good steering response and cornering. I'm off to a great start.

Update at 1 year, 5 months, and 34K miles.

I just measured at least 7/32 tread all around, out of the original 12/32. (12/32 spec from: http://www.continentaltire.com/product/crosscontact-lx20-23570r16-106t/? )

Still Excellent rain traction. Good to Very Good, All-Season-level performance in snow last winter. A recent bad driver invoked panic stop (no lectures, it happens in MD) showed excellent braking performance.

No chunking, uneven wear, bulges, or other issues. Good ride and still quiet.

I guess treadwear is a little more than I'd like, but performance is like it's still in the first 10K miles. I can't believe they way these things cut through water (and we've had a LOT of water this year).

I have 2.5 years on a set of these on my 4runner. The wear rate will slow down. I'm hovering at 5-6/32nds and I've driven to Vegas (high temps) and tow 4k lbs travel trailer. I picked up an extra set of rims and mounted a set of snow tires on them last winter

Originally Posted by Cup of Joe
I have 2.5 years on a set of these on my 4runner. The wear rate will slow down. I'm hovering at 5-6/32nds and I've driven to Vegas (high temps) and tow 4k lbs travel trailer. I picked up an extra set of rims and mounted a set of snow tires on them last winter

I've had that experience with other tires, too. At some point when you're getting down to harder rubber and thinner tread, but still have >5/32 and you have to decide, they may last forever, but are they still OK in rain and snow? Maybe the decision is easier where there's almost no rain and snow....

Originally Posted by HangFire
Originally Posted by Cup of Joe

I've had that experience with other tires, too. At some point when you're getting down to harder rubber and thinner tread, but still have >5/32 and you have to decide, they may last forever, but are they still OK in rain and snow? Maybe the decision is easier where there's almost no rain and snow....

We don't get allot of rain but 2 years ago we had more snow then I wanted to deal with. I was blowing snow everyday after work. The corner of my driveway was 5 feet high. I got the snow tires for added safety when going to Park City and to ski resorts. Last year I only put 1500 miles on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back