CASTROL 0W40 5qt. No More ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think VW USA bought it all , that way the dealerships can really mop up on the 119.90 dollar oil changes . I bet dealerships paid more than 22 bucks for 5 qts , of coarsr they buy barrels but i bet they paid more per qt.

I stopped by a Walmart near work today and they had one 5-quart container on the shelf. I picked it up.

A sales associate lady was nearby and I asked her if it was being discontinued. She said she did not think so, and scanned the container I just took. It showed one in stock (not for long) and showed the next delivery as being November 2. Ten were to be delivered at that time.

The Edge 0W-20 space was empty and had a small sign on the price tag that said "temporary shortage" or something like that. There was a lot of 5W-40 which I'd never seen at this Walmart before.

Still have 4 jugs for the Mini at $22 each. That's 4 oil changes. I bet it will return to shelves.

I emailed Castrol this morning and asked if the 5-quart containers of Edge 0W-40 had been discontinued or dropped by Walmart. I mentioned that the shelves near me were unusually depleted (besides that one from Sunday). They got back to me in about two hours and said it had not been discontinued and that "retailers order Castrol products based on consumer supply and demand." They then gave me the phone number of my nearest Castrol distributor here in Wisconsin and mentioned I could buy it on Amazon.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by dlundblad
I believe my local WM had Castrol 5w40 still if that helps anyone.

Not as good.

On paper.

In service? Debatable.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by dlundblad
I believe my local WM had Castrol 5w40 still if that helps anyone.

Not as good.

On paper.

In service? Debatable.

I did not know Mercedes bases its testing on numbers on paper.
Plus I used it. Not as good.

Last edited:
Looks like the Milwaukee metro area is sold out at Walmart, at least where I've looked. And their website only says it is available in-store, it can't be ordered.

That Amazon A3/B4 0W-40 delivered for $25 looks less stupid now.

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but my Walmart is not only out of Castrol 0w40, but Mobil 1 0w40 as well. Isn't there a new formulation of M1 coming?

Originally Posted by motech
Not meaning to hijack the thread, but my Walmart is not only out of Castrol 0w40, but Mobil 1 0w40 as well. Isn't there a new formulation of M1 coming?

Ummm, what

Out of curiosity I went to a couple Walmarts. None of them had Castrol 0W40. Each CS rep referred me to the other Walmart. Lol!

For Corvette and it is mediocre at best.

Originally Posted by Onetor
Out of curiosity I went to a couple Walmarts. None of them had Castrol 0W40. Each CS rep referred me to the other Walmart. Lol!

The Walmart closest to me seems to sell out of it too. I ended up just doing a ship-to-store purchase. They have a slot for it on their shelves and their inventory always says they have it but it's nowhere to be found.

For Corvette and it is mediocre at best.

What makes you say that Formula ESP 0w40 is mediocre? I know it just came out but I figured it was very similar to Formula ESP 5w30 which is a very impressive oil, IMO (that's why I'm using it)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back