2018 Sonata

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

The fiance's Elantra is up on her lease in May and the mail and phone calls from Hyundai have already started. Over the weekend we went to a local Hyundai dealer and were checking things out. Her Elantra has been flawless in the nearly 3 years she's had it. Granted, it only has 23,000 miles on it, so of course you'd expect that. Other than oil changes and a new set of wiper blades, we've had to do nothing. She's liking the 2018 Sonata this time around. Anyone have any opinions on the car? We test drove a Limited with the Ultimate package, it's fully loaded with a panoramic sunroof.

I know that the Honda Accord is the better car in this segment but to get the same features on the Accord would require a Touring model and would be thousands more and we'd end up with a 1.5T w/ a CVT. I have been staunchly against CVT's but they seem to be becoming inevitable I'm having a hard time deciding if the extra change is worth it. This time it will be a purchase, not a lease.

Thanks

The 2.0T Accord comes with a 10 speed automatic unlike the 1.5T. The 2018 Sonata is a good looking car. The Limited with the Ultimate package seems like a very nice car with a weak engine. Hyundai tricks you into thinking its fast during a test drive because the electronic throttle blips open more than your foot tells it to. Floor it all the way and it doesn't feel much faster. If that doesn't bother her, it might be the perfect car for her. The one thing against Hyundai is resale value.
Also to note: The Hyundai 100K powertrain warranty doesn't apply to the second owner. Hyundai reduces the powertrain warranty to 5/60K for the second owner.
I'd get an Accord with the 2.0T because that car would be a keeper and not something you'd grow tired of in a few years.

Had a 2013 Sonata with the 2.4L. Never felt I needed more power. Probably the best car I have owned and I have had a few. Another driver totalled it in a crash. Really liked it.
Great on gas, good handling, lots of room.
If you want a car with max range, less trips to the gas station, this is it with a 18.5 gallon tank.

Resale? Hyundai/Kia. I had a Sephia, Sprectra, Forte, Soul and mom has a Rondo. Having a great track record in avoiding trip to the dealership for in warranty stuff.....resale must never be bought into the equation when making lease buyouts or new car purchases. My 2011 one owner Forte5 SX with 106k owes me nothing but will fetch but(if I am lucky)$2500 in trade.

Most import thing is she really likes whatever it is. All really decent cars in that segment, just what flavor ice cream you like best.

Find a lightly used Sonata and take advantage of the lower resale value.

Sonata is a good choice, it's a big car. TONS of room inside. 86k miles on mine and all it's needed is a new battery at 3-1/2 years (better than Arizona average) and 1 headlight bulb (I work late everyday and drive home at night).

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Find a lightly used Sonata and take advantage of the lower resale value.

Sonata is a good choice, it's a big car. TONS of room inside. 86k miles on mine and all it's needed is a new battery at 3-1/2 years (better than Arizona average) and 1 headlight bulb (I work late everyday and drive home at night).

Can't argue with that. It's going to be used HyunKia's for me from this point out. After I had a good experience with a Hertz Soul, my girlfriend bought a 2017 Optima for a bit over $12000. Can't get a one year old Accord, even one with Hertzbuse for that kind of money. BTW-- No troubles or damage in either of the Hertz cars.

Just did a quick autotrader search using a Canton zip - a lot of options for new or barely used 2018 for under $20K, 2019s for about $22 - 24 depending on trim level.

My sister has beaten the crap out of many Elantra's and all live long lives on conventional oil under her less than stellar ownership. I would highly recommend the Elantra. They are solid vehicles with no issues.

You will want to stay away from the 1.5T engine from Honda until they figure out the fuel dilution issues which they still don't have a fix for yet.
The Honda 10 speeds can be a little fussy from what I have read if you go this route in the Accord. (No personal experience here)
The Honda CVT's are a good design and unlike the Nissan troublesome ones. (driven one and my aunt has one)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Danno
Just did a quick autotrader search using a Canton zip - a lot of options for new or barely used 2018 for under $20K, 2019s for about $22 - 24 depending on trim level.

Most of those one model year old used cars are probably rentals anyway, unless they're at high trim levels. Might as well buy 'em from the rental companies cause used car lots are going to mark them up. IIRC Enterprise goes through about 1.4 million cars a year, Hertz half that amount, and Avis about half of Hertz. I'm in Enterprises home turf, but it seems they get a lot more from their cars than Hertz.

Originally Posted by csandste
Originally Posted by Danno

Most of those one model year old used cars are probably rentals anyway, unless they're at high trim levels. Might as well buy 'em from the rental companies cause used car lots are going to mark them up. IIRC Enterprise goes through about 1.4 million cars a year, Hertz half that amount, and Avis about half of Hertz. I'm in Enterprises home turf, but it seems they get a lot more from their cars than Hertz.

I used under 15,000 miles as a filter, some as low as 5,000 miles. Probably not rentals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back