High or Low HTHS in same weight - Redline vs Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to move up a weight, from 5w-20 to a 5w-30, in my 2.4l gema engine with 68k miles. I've been using PP 5w20 but have been perusing the 5w30 Redline and Amsoil lines. Amsoil SS has a HTHS of 3.1, but Redline HTHS jumps up to 3.7. Why the big difference and is 3.7 too thick for my 4-banger? I'm not too worried about ambient temprtures as they are fairly moderate and this car is garaged.

If you're worried about HTHS, just step up to PP 5W30. Save your money and don't buy the Amsoil or the Redline, there will be no additional wear benefits over the PP in your application. Your engine is only making around 65HP/L, which is nothing even with conventional oils these days. Heck, if you could find it where you are, I'd run Delo XLE 10W30 in a heartbeat in your application.

In your case, if you go up significantly in HTHS all you're going to gain is reduced MPG...

Redline is overkill for your purpose. Amsoil is a waste unless extending your OCI. I would use a 5W30 on sale and utilize your owners manual for OCI.

What is it you are trying to accomplish? Best fuel mileage? Best metal protection? I tell you are on the borderline for using redline oil, in old vehicles or high mileage sometimes redline cleans away film and it ends up louder then before, hit and miss if the film re-populates. I would start thinking about a high mileage oil. PP 5w30 is the perfect choice for regular oil, leave both of the others alone and just go up in weight or get something HM. Amsoil great for DI turbo's, Redline great for quieting younger engines that the gf-5 spec is leaving loud that may benefit from higher hths and additives, but I dont see much benefit to be had with your engine in those products. Sorry I usually don't do this, I never go out of bounds to the OP's question, but this time I did, forgive me. Big redline fan here, but not in your situation.

Originally Posted by Cipriano
Looking to move up a weight, from 5w-20 to a 5w-30, in my 2.4l gema engine with 68k miles. I've been using PP 5w20 but have been perusing the 5w30 Redline and Amsoil lines. Amsoil SS has a HTHS of 3.1, but Redline HTHS jumps up to 3.7. Why the big difference and is 3.7 too thick for my 4-banger? I'm not too worried about ambient temprtures as they are fairly moderate and this car is garaged.

The Redline product has an HTHS that's more similar to a Euro 5w-30, not a GF-5 "Energy Conserving" one, which is the market the AMSOIL SS product targets, as do most 5w-30's you'll find in North America. Redline 5w-30 is more of a stand-in for an application that calls for SAE 30, 0w-40, 5w-40...etc.

It's a 2008 that has been seeing less than 7k a year. I baby this jeep! So at 1 or maybe 2, oc a year, I figured why not go with the best.

But the general consensus is that the Redline/Euro'ish HTHS of 3.7 would be too high?

... But the general consensus is that the Redline/Euro'ish HTHS of 3.7 would be too high?
Not high enough to cause problems, but higher than needed if the engine was designed for 2.6 and is "babied."

It's a 2008 that has been seeing less than 7k a year. I baby this jeep! So at 1 or maybe 2, oc a year, I figured why not go with the best.

But the general consensus is that the Redline/Euro'ish HTHS of 3.7 would be too high?

Best is relative to goals, like I was saying. I took my wife's rav 4 from m1 5w20 to redline 5w20, and it was much smoother running. I then got 6 qrts from the Pennzoil team here thanks Gena, and no kidding the 5w30 PUP was noticeably smoother then even 5w20 redline. The rav 4 was a rattle trap, those days are gone. Making the decision to go up in weight, something everyone should do as their engines gain mileage, is a great strategy. As engines are used tolerances widen, thicker oil is a good idea.

I will say this, we have had guys run multiple uoa's on redline in the same engine, the wear numbers go down exponentially with long term use. I'll see if one of them will post his uoa over here. I know others do not post over here, I will see if those uoa's post into this forum. Those hemi's are real high wear engines and redline's uoa's were not great at first, had us scratching our heads. But by the third uoa, the wear has become was less then averages for those engines, and even better then other oils on the same uoa/ Like I said, I will see if I can get at least a couple posted. Long term use of redline 5w30 has been pretty impressive in those high wear Chrysler engines anyway.

Originally Posted by burla

Best is relative to goals, like I was saying. I took my wife's rav 4 from m1 5w20 to redline 5w20, and it was much smoother running. I then got 6 qrts from the Pennzoil team here thanks Gena, and no kidding the 5w30 PUP was noticeably smoother then even 5w20 redline. The rav 4 was a rattle trap, those days are gone. Making the decision to go up in weight, something everyone should do as their engines gain mileage, is a great strategy. As engines are used tolerances widen, thicker oil is a good idea.

I will say this, we have had guys run multiple uoa's on redline in the same engine, the wear numbers go down exponentially with long term use. I'll see if one of them will post his uoa over here. I know others do not post over here, I will see if those uoa's post into this forum. Those hemi's are real high wear engines and redline's uoa's were not great at first, had us scratching our heads. But by the third uoa, the wear has become was less then averages for those engines, and even better then other oils on the same uoa/ Like I said, I will see if I can get at least a couple posted. Long term use of redline 5w30 has been pretty impressive in those high wear Chrysler engines anyway.

I believe you're referring to this UOA? This was 6000 miles of towing my 3500lb camper and my truck loaded up with my wife and 2 kids and supplies for a family of 4. This includes towing down and back up the Ike Gauntlet. Another thing to keep in mind is my Hemi was ticking like crazy before I started running Redline.

Screenshot_20180913-171120_Drive.jpg

that uoa wont travel, I will see if he can give direct link.

That run 3 runs ago was PUP, and the redline uoa at almost 10k miles had less wear then PUP at 2100 miles, all 5 of his other runs were redline. This is what we have been seeing, long term use of redline looks real good. These guys keep running uoa's, stay tuned.

Last edited:
You should try Redline 5w20 (It's a 5w30). If you can afford it. It quiets most lifters significantly, i.e. the esters are great. Now, if you are on a tight budget, than any off the shelf synthetic.

Lead may increase on the first two intervals of redline motor oil. That's what I've read on here. Heck, Redline will forward your UOA to a chemist if you have any questions. Dave at Redline is a great asset and very knowledgeable. May try it in my F150 next oil change. Just put in PUP 5W20.

Redline is a boutique oil, but it has it's pros and cons. Cons being expensive.

Thanks Again Corey, he posted that for another member over there who is not a member here. Anyhow, long term use of redline in hemi's looks good, and killed hemi tick in one of those engines, and the other didn't have hemi tick. My reply above was pertaining to this uoa, I couldn't post it so he did. Anyhow, the info is there for the boards consideration.

Originally Posted by Onetor
Lead may increase on the first two intervals of redline motor oil. That's what I've read on here. Heck, Redline will forward your UOA to a chemist if you have any questions. Dave at Redline is a great asset and very knowledgeable. May try it in my F150 next oil change. Just put in PUP 5W20.

Redline is a boutique oil, but it has it's pros and cons. Cons being expensive.

Yeah Dave at Redline is a great guy and very knowledgeable.

Next time someone is talking to Dave tell him that all the dealers should be forced to carry the gallon size containers as well as the quart containers and tell him that the quart containers have ridiculously small openings so you can't even use them to take waste oil back to the recycler unless you want to spend all day filling them using a tiny funnel.

I refused to use Redline any longer because of this despite having good results with their product in the applications I tried it in.

Example:
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Really? Get a 5 gallon pale to recycle your oil and stop crying ...‚. You are really going to pass up a quality product because you can't use the oil containers for an opposite purpose. You crack me up man

Originally Posted by burla
that uoa wont travel, I will see if he can give direct link.

That run 3 runs ago was PUP, and the redline uoa at almost 10k miles had less wear then PUP at 2100 miles, all 5 of his other runs were redline. This is what we have been seeing, long term use of redline looks real good. These guys keep running uoa's, stay tuned.

Why are you cherry picking Redline UOA'S? There are ones were Redline does not look favorable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back