Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5w30, 5578 miles, 2018 Corvette

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
Here are the latest oil analysis results for the third oil change on my 2018 Corvette, analysis done by Wearcheck Canada:

Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5w30
Fram Ultra oil filter (XG10060)
5,578 miles on oil
Apr 29 to Oct 16 (5.5 months)
8,719 miles total
241.7 total engine hours
25.6 MPG average for this OCI
7 quart oil capacity
No make up oil

Iron 24
Lead 2
Aluminum 3
Copper 19
Chromium 1
Tin 2
Nickel 0
Silver 0
Vanadium 0

Silicon 40
Potassium 2
Sodium 6

Moly 81
Boron 99
Calcium 1032
Magnesium 121
Manganese 1
Titanium 0

Phosphorus 615
Zinc 753

Soot 0
Glycol 0
Water 0
Fuel

Viscosity at 100c 10.8

I put in more Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5w30 along with a NAPA Gold 100290 oil filter (has the proper 22psi bypass)

It is still breaking in. No coolant mixing with the oil, which is good, fuel dilution is not a problem. That's all good. Too soon to tell much else.

Looks good to me. Viscosity is solid. Fe is pretty low for a new GM engine.

Considering the oil is made from Unicorn pee, it sure has low zinc and phosphorous.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by demarpaint
It is still breaking in. No coolant mixing with the oil, which is good, fuel dilution is not a problem. That's all good. Too soon to tell much else.

True, I knew that doing UOAs right from the very beginning wouldn't show too much info, but I like seeing the wear metals and silicon trending downward and I am interested in seeing the viscosity and fuel dilution. I'm glad fuel dilution is not an issue, since this engine has direct injection, but I'm a tiny bit disappointed that the viscosity is only 10.8 cst, I expected it to be closer to about 11.5. This oil starts at 12.1, and I know it is mixed in with a good portion of the previous fill (this engine leaves a lot of oil behind, even though it's a 7 qt capacity it only takes 6qts to bring it to full on the dipstick) Hopefully the next OCI will show the viscosity a bit higher.

I also figured that this oil would be quite a bit different than the regular M1 5w30, but it's very similar in many ways. Boron is only slightly higher, moly is about the same, phosphorus, zinc and calcium are also about the same. The only major difference I can see is that magnesium is considerably lower. I guess there could be other additives not shown in a simple UOA though, and the base oil could be completely different too.

I have a uoa sent out to Blackstone Mobil ep 5w30 out of my 2018 Silverado with the 6.2 , I curious to see how it compares . I may switch to the esp formula depending.

Hey Patman, have you tried 0w40 ESP in this engine? Would be interesting to see a comparison... regardless of the variable differences in operating conditions.

I guess it all boils down to how the car is driven. If it was me, I'd be flooring it CONSTANTLY and would definitely need 15w60 oil or something. Hahaha haha

I haven't tried the 0w40 ESP, it isn't available up here yet and it's pretty difficult to find in the US as well actually. I'm not sure if I'm going to try it eventually or not. I just bought another 6L of this oil for the next oil change too, so I'm committed to it for about another year.

I don't track the car, and I do like to floor it from time to time but in shorter bursts so I really don't get the oil hot very often. Most of my driving the oil temp is around 185 to 195.

IMO, shearing 11% (from 12.1 to 10.8 cSt) in 5600 miles in a Corvette is not bad after all.
Metal wear rates is good for a new engine running.

And in reality it didn't shear that much because this interval was mixed with some 9.6cst oil from the previous fill. As mentioned, this engine has a specified capacity in the manual of 7 quarts but only 6 comes out when you do an oil change, so a little bit more gets left behind compared to other engines.

Isn't the Corvette a dry sump? I haven't looked at them but if it is , is there no drain plug at all in the pan, even if it's a dry sump. I curious to see my uoa as the 6.2 in the trucks holds about 8.5 qt.

Mine is the wet sump, so it only has one drain plug at the pan. The dry sump cars (ZR1, Z06, Z51 and Grand Sport) have two drain plugs on them.

Beautiful car-excellent uoa I am always amazed when see such excellent oil analysis from low saps oil. I wonder if lower sulphur in gasoline now makes it easier for lower saps oils to protect engines. I looked up oils on Mobil 1 website using their comparison tool. It wasn't available with Mobil1 5w30 esp-maybe Due to recent formulation change. I did compete 0w30 esp x1 with 5w30 annual protection and Mobil 1 rated the esp oil as giving better engine wear protection collared with the annual protection oil. I think the wear package in the 0w30 esp is similar to 0w40 esp-both having higher calcium colpared to the original-this oil report-5w30 esp. Best of luck with car-of note Mobil 1 0w40 also was rated the highest protection compared with annual protection-noticed you have run that oil in your Bmw 328.

Originally Posted by spiderbypass
Beautiful car-excellent uoa I am always amazed when see such excellent oil analysis from low saps oil.

Mid SaPS ACEA C3 oils, in particular those carrying Euro OEM approvals, has been inappropriately under-rated on Bitog all these while ...

Last edited:
Do you happen to have the tbn, I just got my UOA of my 18 Silverado 6.2L using mobile EP 5w30, it appears the oil shears down a good bit it 4000 miles, and the tbn was down to 3.8. I'd like to try an oil with a higher hths, and was looking at using the 5w30 esp but was concerned with the low starting tbn.

I didn't get TBN, as I bought a box of 10 kits from Wearcheck a few years ago and it was $100 more if I wanted TBN and at the time I didn't feel I needed that info, but it would be interesting now that I'm using a low SAPS oil. At the same time, I don't plan on pushing the OCIs too far, so I'm confident that the TBN wouldn't be dangerously low.

This ESP Formula 5W30 C3 with Euro OEM approvals is more shear-stable than EP version, probably including AP and AFE versions.
I would speculate ESP C3 also has better TBN retention, with equally long OCI's .

Last edited:
^^^ That amazes me too! My 2018 makes 55 more horsepower than my 2005 did, but yet gets at least 10% better MPG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back