2016 Acura RDX - Amsoil XL 0W-20 (SN+ formulation), 6,650 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
2016 Acura RDX - 65,038 miles. This one does have VCM.

Oil Filter is Genuine Honda. Air Filter is also Genuine Honda, and was installed at 58,388 when this oil was installed. At the time of oil change, the Oil Life Monitor was at 10% remaining. No oil consumption.

I am not sure where the Nickel is from. Perhaps my funnel is dirty?

This is the new, SN+ formula of XL 0W-20. The viscosity, TBN, Iron and Lead values are excellent. Unfortunately I ran out of Amsoil XL so I had to refill with Mobil 1 EP High Mileage 0W-20.

RDX1.PNG

Last edited:
Lots of life left in this lube. Lead is 0 as is expected since this engine doesn't use lead bearings. For the reasonable length of OCI the M1EP should perform just as well at a significantly lower price point.

Nice report.

Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3
Lots of life left in this lube. Lead is 0 as is expected since this engine doesn't use lead bearings. For the reasonable length of OCI the M1EP should perform just as well at a significantly lower price point.

Nice report.

I agree.

As far as pricing, my cost on Amsoil XL is 60 cents/qt higher than Mobil 1 EP.

Pretty solid report. TBN starts at 10 . With 6650 miles,more than half still remaining. I know it's not linear. Probably good for 10k though.

Nice report we just bought a 2018 RDX and I am probably going to go the Amsoil XL route as well might go 5w/20 though. This vehicle will only see 7000 or so miles a year so after seeing this it should serve well.

I have followed this forum intermittently for last ten years or so. I remember when Amsoil XL oils first came out and they always seemed to have low wear numbers even compared with more expensive signature series.

TOTO, why run an oil that will be LITERALLY DONE at the end of this OCI. What's the benefit? Use up all that TBN or what? Because I don't get it.

Doesn't it make sense to use an oil that will leave a reasonable buffer zone of life at the end of the interval? What if the OP gets busy and runs it an extra 1,000 miles. What if the engine suddenly seems SEVERE DUTY? What if some dirt got in during the air filter change and the oil is spent trying to fight that?

Artem,
This guy guy is changing his oil at 10% left on the OLM , he is never going to push his luck with an OCI especially being a BITOG member, your scenario of using the oil up is far fetching, if the OP were to use AMSOIL OE or another properly rated oil does not mean it is used up when the oil monitor reaches 0% but just the proper time to change it, and like I said he may prefer the extra protection but that usually is a comfort feeling and not factually necessary that's all.
TOTO.

Agreed, technically.

I'm all up for extended OCIs while the oil is still able to do its job. I would just rather not play backyard chemist with my engine as the test bed and always find it funny when people do extremely long intervals worth $35 on an engine worth $5,000+

Originally Posted by Artem
Agreed, technically.

I'm all up for extended OCIs while the oil is still able to do its job. I would just rather not play backyard chemist with my engine as the test bed and always find it funny when people do extremely long intervals worth $35 on an engine worth $5,000+

I agree, you have to use some common sense.
TOTO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back