"Marine" Gear Oil vs. Regular Gear Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or at least in off road aplications...

@alarmguy...wich gearoil brand are you describing above? Mercury or Quicksikver (or is this the same?) premium or high performance?

Often, that tackiness is destroyed after a very short time in a real world gearbox. Those tacky additives are long polymer chains that shear very easily in gear applications. There are some that are more shear stable than others for sure, but if the oil is cheap, I'd venture they aren't using those more shear stable varieties.

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N

@alarmguy...wich gearoil brand are you describing above? Mercury or Quicksikver (or is this the same?) premium or high performance?

It's the same company. And their gear oil is superior. It will take water and keep working.

Could run Redline Shockproof for more protection, but that's even more expensive (mo betta too :D).

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno

It's the same company. And their gear oil is superior. It will take water and keep working.

Could run Redline Shockproof for more protection, but that's even more expensive (mo betta too :D).

Yeah, I have run it in 3 brands of outboards so far …

Sorry about the delay, busy workweek ...

Same company, Quicksilver is Mecury Marine lubrication division.

Ok, the answer to your question :

Quicksilver HIGH PERFORMANCE gear lube is what you want. High Performance is for above 75 HP

Click on this link

Then scroll down the page, then hit the arrow on the right.

Last edited:
Thanks to all for the guidance on the Quicksilver recommendation. I have a 2018 Alumacraft Classic CS with a Yamaha F70 and was wondering about the what to use in my lower unit. My manual recommends SAE 90 and I went with the Quicksilver brand.

Keep in mind its important to know whether your lower unit takes GL5 or GL4. Certain GL5 lubes are corrosive to brass or bronze parts. Also, my lower units wouldn't live a full life with GL4. I stick with OEM labeled gear lubes for outboards, which is Yamalube in my case.

Last edited:
Claluja, thank you for your feedback, it inspired me to do some research before I put the Quicksilver in my lower unit.

I found an excellent YouTube on this titled "ITB Episode 32: GL5 vs. GL-4 Fluids". It's from 2016. It confirms that when GL5 first came out the issues you cite were real and since then GL5 oil has been modified and the engineering testing done has it performing better in the area of corrosion of yellow metals compared to GL4.

I also checked the label on my bottle of Quicksilver SAE 90 Marine Gear Lube. It states;

"Recommended for use in all stern drive gear cases and lower units on all outboards. Meets or exceeds the needs of all marine engine manufacturers' gear lube. Meets API GL4."

Interestingly, the copyright on the oil bottle label is 2016, the same year as the YouTube! It looks like this is a very well engineered oil for lower units.

Originally Posted by MotoTribologist
The main difference between them should be their interaction with moisture/water. A marine gear oil should be designed to handle water contamination quite well with little or no effect on overall performance for at least a short time. A general automotive gear oil will nto likely have those same characteristics.

The general performance will not likely be all that different, but that water handling ability of a marine gear oil can certainly be crucial in the right conditions.

^^^THAT^^^

I have been told by one of the highest sources at Mercury Marine that there is no difference between marine gear oil and automotive. Same stuff. However that was 20 years ago, and maybe things have changed.

This has come up many times here, and no one has been able to name the additive or component in Marine gear oil that is to "absorb moisture" or "prevent rust"

No its not the same, you can do a simple "self test"...

Smear both types of oil on your hands, the Mercury Marine gear lube is almost impossible to wash off.
Out of 4 decades of owning my own boats and doing my own services ONE time only I tried Pennzoil Marine Gear lube, I was disappointed how "untacky" it was and easy to wash off my hands too.
Less then a month of using it, I switched back to Mercury Marine. I have found their Marine Lubes in all categories unmatched in performance compared to the other "after market" lubes and if anyone ever reads my posts, I am the last person on the planet to be loyal to any oil product in vechicles, I only buy price, but Mercury products I pay for because I do see and feel the difference.
Even their "Anti Corrosion" spray is far superior for results you can see compared to any other product.

No disrespect to you but just because someone is "of the highest sources" means absolutely nothing.

Last edited:
Quicksilver High Performance is one good lube. You can use it in other stuff, but it really shines in lower units. I think the water cooling bath keeps it cool enough to not sheer as quickly as some think ...

It has come out of one OMC lower unit I serviced after a full season, still tacky'ish
smile.gif

After Redline MTL for other gearboxes, Quicksilver HP is my goto lube for tricky situations. It'll be going in the Honda shaft drive motorcycle at next service because I have a slight, but annoying, whine ...

Last edited:
The gear cases for outboards and stern drives run is water so are basically
water cooled.
Auto/truck differentials and gearboxes not so much.

Originally Posted by alarmguy

Smear both types of oil on your hands, the Mercury Marine gear lube is almost impossible to wash off.
Out of 4 decades of owning my own boats and doing my own services ONE time only I tried Pennzoil Marine Gear lube, I was disappointed how "untacky" it was and easy to wash off my hands too.
Less then a month of using it, I switched back to Mercury Marine. I have found their Marine Lubes in all categories unmatched in performance compared to the other "after market" lubes and if anyone ever reads my posts, I am the last person on the planet to be loyal to any oil product in vechicles, I only buy price, but Mercury products I pay for because I do see and feel the difference.
Even their "Anti Corrosion" spray is far superior for results you can see compared to any other product.

No disrespect to you but just because someone is "of the highest sources" means absolutely nothing.

It was one of Mercury's engineers it that matters, not a marketing guy. I've used marine gear oil and when drain from a lower unit with water intrusion, the water separated and drained out first. So much for the oil absorbing moisture. Other than being packaged for a different market its the same stuff. No one here can name the additives for moisture absorption and rust prevention. Nonsense.

Originally Posted by Bluestream
Originally Posted by alarmguy

It was one of Mercury's engineers it that matters, not a marketing guy. I've used marine gear oil and when drain from a lower unit with water intrusion, the water separated and drained out first. So much for the oil absorbing moisture. Other than being packaged for a different market its the same stuff. No one here can name the additives for moisture absorption and rust prevention. Nonsense.

I never said anything about nor made any claim about oil absorbing moisture.
If interested, re-read my posts - follow directions, no sense in repeating but others will understand.

Last edited:
I have a midrange 4S Yam and run Merc gear oils … very common to get a few cc's of water out ahead of the used oil that is never milky … change it every spring along with motor oil …

Last edited:
I use the exact one specified in the owners manual for my Johnson and have owned it since it was new in the crate. It is Johnson labeled fluid. I know they don't make the stuff, but they do set the specs. First change it had metal in it, ever since it looks exactly the same going in and coming out. I think using the same stuff each time that is specified in the manual preserves seals because I have never had water in there. Outboard is 29 years old and has had no repairs except a few carb cleanings and plugs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back