Weird private-label tire names

I see different, never before seen by me brands every time I go online to look for new tires. There couldn't possibly be this many different tire companies, my guess is the same companies just keep changing the names on their tires. What this is supposed to accomplish, I have no idea...

Originally Posted by 97f150
Saw these while researching replacement tires for my F-150.....a Cooper brand apparently.

[Linked Image]

Thats not so weird, as military history is rife with Duck Commanders:
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by grampi
I see different, never before seen by me brands every time I go online to look for new tires. There couldn't possibly be this many different tire companies, my guess is the same companies just keep changing the names on their tires. What this is supposed to accomplish, I have no idea...

It's the marketing plan. After a few years the public finds out the tire has some problem areas or just isn't anything special at all. Or if it's priced at the upper end, they learn that it's no better than many other lower priced tires. So the company deletes that name and tweaks the tread pattern and starts it all over under another name.

Perhaps it is time for me to talk about the many ways different brands exist.

As Grampi says, there are some brands that are different tire companies - BUT - he implies that there exists some internal brands (true!) and that there aren't any external brands (false!)

Some brands are owned by retailers or wholesalers and one can't tell who is manufacturing the tires. An example is Futura, which is a brand owned by Pep Boys. While these have been manufactured by Cooper, there is no guarantee that this will be so in the future. Typically the warrantee is handled by whoever owns the brand name - with perhaps feedback to the tire manufacturer. Please note that in these cases, even though the tire may have been manufactured by brand named manufacturer, the warrantee can only be handled through the outlet. Walmart's Douglas brand is another example.

Some brands are indeed owned by the tire manufacturers - Goodrich, Kelly, Firestone, come to mind - and they run the gamut from tightly held, with good advertising support and good warrantees (such as the 3 mentioned) to some which are on the other end - basically no advertising or warrantee support.

And then there is the issue of the quality of the tires. Some are direct clones of brand name tire lines - with either just a name change, but otherwise identical - to same tire but in a different mold, so it looks completely different - to some which are completely unique (they are completely different than any other tire manufactured).

- AND -

I want to point out that even when private brand tires are identical in appearance to a brand named tire, there could be differences in the way the tires are processed - what I think of as *Quality* - that is consistency from individual tire to individual tire. There are machines that will measure and sort tires according to things like balance or uniformity level - not to mention inspection level - visual appearance imperfections. This is even true within a tire line - such as the difference between what gets sent to a vehicle manufacturer and what gets sent to a tire retailer.

So a private brand could be as high a quality as a brand name tire - or it could be on the other end of the spectrum - and the average joe can't tell the difference.

Originally Posted by CapriRacer

Perhaps it is time for me to talk about the many ways different brands exist.

As Grampi says, there are some brands that are different tire companies - BUT - he implies that there exists some internal brands (true!) and that there aren't any external brands (false!)

Some brands are owned by retailers or wholesalers and one can't tell who is manufacturing the tires. An example is Futura, which is a brand owned by Pep Boys. While these have been manufactured by Cooper, there is no guarantee that this will be so in the future. Typically the warrantee is handled by whoever owns the brand name - with perhaps feedback to the tire manufacturer. Please note that in these cases, even though the tire may have been manufactured by brand named manufacturer, the warrantee can only be handled through the outlet. Walmart's Douglas brand is another example.

Some brands are indeed owned by the tire manufacturers - Goodrich, Kelly, Firestone, come to mind - and they run the gamut from tightly held, with good advertising support and good warrantees (such as the 3 mentioned) to some which are on the other end - basically no advertising or warrantee support.

And then there is the issue of the quality of the tires. Some are direct clones of brand name tire lines - with either just a name change, but otherwise identical - to same tire but in a different mold, so it looks completely different - to some which are completely unique (they are completely different than any other tire manufactured).

- AND -

I want to point out that even when private brand tires are identical in appearance to a brand named tire, there could be differences in the way the tires are processed - what I think of as *Quality* - that is consistency from individual tire to individual tire. There are machines that will measure and sort tires according to things like balance or uniformity level - not to mention inspection level - visual appearance imperfections. This is even true within a tire line - such as the difference between what gets sent to a vehicle manufacturer and what gets sent to a tire retailer.

So a private brand could be as high a quality as a brand name tire - or it could be on the other end of the spectrum - and the average joe can't tell the difference.

The only thing I was really implying was what I said; I see different brand name tires every time I'm in the market to buy tires, and that there couldn't possibly be that many different companies that make tires. I don't really care about the warranty from the tire company as I always get my tires at Discount Tires, and they back all of their tires in the same way. If a tire goes bad, or needs to be replaced for any reason, they replace it prorated based on it's initial selling price minus the mileage deduction. Over the course of aprox. 500K miles, I've had one blowout, and I've had two tires replaced due to slipped belts. Other than that, the cheap tires I buy have held up to their mileage rating or better. I'd say that's acceptable...I just wonder what new brand I'll see the next time I need new tires...

I share Grampi's frustration that tire technology/ branding advances every few years so when I do find a "good" tire it's unavailable.

I do "get" that brand names have sequels, evidenced by the MXV4+Energy. This implies brand equity but I don't know if they've changed or cheapened it in a disadvantagous way since the last set.

Even finding a match for a half-worn set if I get a flat is a hassle!

Seen on Simple Tire's website: Cosmo Mucho Macho

Got a kick out of the tire model name, more than the brand name. The Mucho Macho tire.

It's a passenger A/S tire, not a mucho macho truck tire. LOL

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but I've levered on many a pair of Dae Yung bicycle tires. And yes, they were slippery.

I have a solar, dextero, lionheart and a jinyu on my Tracker. I remember the Big o brand. And I think handcock is a hilarious name for a tire!!

Eldorado and Atlas have been around for years. TBC Corporation in Florida sells several private label tires that are available regionally at fair prices. Cooper Tire still makes quite a few private label tires. Here in NC the two odd brands I've seen are Achilles and Black Lion.

Also on Amazon's website there is a warranty mentioned that you did not post on the Texas Contender-

Platinum Plus Warranty Featuring Product Replacement And Roadside Assistance

Pretty important

Originally Posted by CKN
Also on Amazon's website there is a warranty mentioned that you did not post on the Texas Contender-

Platinum Plus Warranty Featuring Product Replacement And Roadside Assistance

Pretty important

Just thought the ‘oven-aged bake tested' part was funny that's why I included it. Not because I thought
It was important.

Originally Posted by Corollaman
"Thunderer City", sold at Les Schawb Tires (large tire company in the west) at a name brand price....30,000 mile warranty?

Thunderer made in Thailand. Bought a used LT size on Ebay for a great price including delivery. Looks well made and rides great so far.

You will be pleased with the Thunderer's. We are using thunderer CLT on the fleet this go around and have been holding great, the one with most miles has 40k and still has 30% thread left. They ride smooth as well and are really quiete on the road, more than the Firestone Transforce HT they replaced.

Back