Don't even know what to say about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a time capsule! I can't believe I'm saying this about a Toyota, but it's a beautiful truck.

At least it's immaculate and one of a kind in this day and age.

Out here in Seattle people are asking that (or more) for a 2004 Tacoma with 175k
crazy2.gif

I've seen vehicles like this before.

1) Why would anyone want to pay more for a vehicle than they could insure it for. Even the insurance company would question a purchase like this and probably not cover it in full.

2) Why would anyone pay this much for a 27 yr old truck when a more modern truck with more of the safety features, body structure, fuel economy etc., could be had for similar money.

3) Of course, we don't know what the owner would $ettle on for a price that may make the vehicle worth considering. It's a nice clean looking truck but IMO, not a great looking truck. A vehicle is only worth what it's worth.

4) A buddy of mine had a newer version of the same Taco w/6 cyl. It was, Hmmm OK, Toyota reliable(Meah!) but, what a POS to drive and cramped interior/uncomfortable as I don't know what.

Last edited:
1) Agreed value insurance.

2) Nostalgia.

3) He'll probably get close to what he's asking, probably $20k if listed on BaT, which I suggested he do.

4) Was there a better small truck? No.

The Taco may have been the best of the compact pickups however, it doesn't make it a good vehicle, nor was the compact truck segment all that great for that matter...Just not a good segment IMO(just sayin'). Kinda like todays subcompact CUV segment(HR-V, CH-R, CX-3, KICKS etc). They're just not good vehicles for the money.

I don't want to get crucified here, it's just an opinion!
smile.gif

I guess that the Taco's have their following and were rugged a H***L but, I personally liked the S-10(back then) for their overall comfort & ride, bla-bla-bla. But, they could have been a disaster of a vehicle to own. We had a '93 S-10 and it was a nice car...Oops, I mean truck. Actually, the S-10 was a better car whereas the Toco was a better truck, no doubt!

And we didn't have any real issues to speak of in the Chevy considering we drove it for 10 yrs. But, it was only a transportation device & Home Depot vehicle for the small stuff that wouldn't fit in a car. We bought the Chevy cheap and sold it cheap. It was a kinda cozy car(I mean truck) to drive in that relaxed sorta way.
laugh.gif

Pretty comfortable, pretty quiet, good 4.3 V6 and my wife didn't hate driving it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Char Baby
3) Of course, we don't know what the owner would $ettle on for a price that may make the vehicle worth considering. It's a nice clean looking truck but IMO, not a great looking truck. A vehicle is only worth what it's worth.

All your points are true, but the thing that matters the most is if the seller and a potential buyer both agree on what the vehicle is worth. There's market value, and then what it's worth to the people involved. Of course, you or I picking that vehicle up would have the very real (and totally founded) fear of some darned fool running into us, the insurance company totalling it, and us winding up with a cheque for $4,000 or something. Here, the only hope would be to get it appraised and tack on extra insurance.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Gorgeous truck. Stupid price.

This. Although it is in good condition, it's still a basic 27 year old 4 cylinder truck.

Some guys/gals who flip cars are the most two faced people on planet earth. They like insulating and beating the seller down on price. When they get the vehicle, put $300 worth of parts on it clean & wax it, all of the sudden it's worth 4 times what they paid for it and don't you dare try insulting them on the price.

Originally Posted by Garak
Originally Posted by Char Baby

All your points are true, but the thing that matters the most is if the seller and a potential buyer both agree on what the vehicle is worth. There's market value, and then what it's worth to the people involved. Of course, you or I picking that vehicle up would have the very real (and totally founded) fear of some darned fool running into us, the insurance company totalling it, and us winding up with a cheque for $4,000 or something. Here, the only hope would be to get it appraised and tack on extra insurance.

Good point and I agree with you indeed!

Looks like a flip to me.

Original tires and a hole in the muffler. So looks like it was garage kept in some humid environment.
I suspect a lot of mechanical problems and leaks because this truck has been sitting for so long, despite it's superb outside appearance.

It would make a nice garage queen though.

Last edited:
Check the battery box for corrosion. 56K in 27 yrs. Stuff is gonna fail simply from lack of use. Its a beautiful example of a fine little truck. It would drive you crazy if you attempted to drive it daily

I was working as a Master Tech at a Toyota dealer during that time. That truck would've had an MSRP of around 12K. That's probably the nicest example of that truck that can be found today.

If it were a '93 SR5, V6, 4wd, extra cab like the one I owned, I might buy it for the asking price, just for nostalgia reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back