3rd Shift, How To Adjust?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Sunday everybody! I recently was offered and accepted a new job, but it is 3rd shift. Normally I wouldn't want to do that sort of thing, but the benefit package and wage was too good to pass up (401K, Pension Plan, etc) and is a foot in the door of a company I've been trying to get in for a while. Any 3rd shift workers here, and how did you adjust to it? It will be a 4 10hr day job, so that will leave me 3 days to recoup during the week. I assume to start get blackout curtains and get in a decent sleep/eating routine. Anything else I should try?

I worked in TV doing 4x10s, 3p to 1a. It was awesome! The only bummer is on your "day off" you have to sort of keep looking at your watch to worry about packing up for work.

You can do all the dumb stuff like banking and DMV runs during the day.

The first day off is sort of a groggy recovery day. Stay on your schedule as much as you can. Take a midnight walk.

Other benefits are usually cooler-to-nonexistent supervision and cooler-but-weirder co-workers.

If someone's sick or whatever it's real easy to pick up massive OT on your 5th and 6th days.

I've been on rotating shift work for 27 years (days, evenings, nights). Eat healthy, exercise when you can, keep alcohol intake low/ moderate. I enjoy my job so I don't mind the long night shift. Comfy ear plugs and darkening window shades are a must for sleeping during the day.

That's a decent schedule for a graveyard shift. Your first day off will be a waste day.

I worked nights for a few years. You will pay more attention to your inner and outer clocks. Save the high carb meals like pasta and such for after work. Plenty of good coffee is a necessity.

Yea the 4 day schedule (9pm to 7am) is definitely a plus, and I know one of the guys on 3rd shift so that's a plus. I'll probably pick up a sleeping blindfold and nobody is in the house during the times I would sleep, so all would be quiet.

I know all about the offshifts and lack of supervision. I've been working 2nd shift since June and it's nice to not be constantly watched. The supervisors that are on the shift are way more laid back. Not that we are "goofing off" or anything such.

When I worked as a Security Guard at FedEx I worked the Midnight to 8am shift and I loved it. I found it easier to sleep when I got home in the morning and then get up in the afternoon. I did try to sleep in the afternoon and get up just prior to my shift but i found it hard to adjust meals and sleep patterns to this time so I went back to sleeping right after my shift.

I would try to stay away from Caffeine as you are transitioning an try to have heavier carb meals an hour or two before you are about to go to sleep to help you get into that mode. It really helps during the transition as it will make you sleepy and help to keep you asleep. Blackout curtains and a quiet room were a must for me.

There are some pluses to working the the night shifts like less traffic, cooler summer temperatures if you are working in an unconditioned space, having part of your day time hours free to do things you would normally have to do on the weekends because you are working day shift.

Good luck.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
There are some pluses to working the the night shifts like less traffic, cooler summer temperatures if you are working in an unconditioned space, having part of your day time hours free to do things you would normally have to do on the weekends because you are working day shift.
I used to work 3-9 and ended up just staying up later and sleeping until like 12 or so. You also never get to see your friends who work normal shifts because your sleep scheds are reversed. You have to be really motivated/disciplined or develop a system if you want to make the most of your off time when working nights. I've worked 9-5 at every other full time job I've had and I did not end up liking working evenings. Some people love working nights, and it is awesome if you have a family and your spouse works 9-5 so someone is always around the house.

Adjustment: if you're someone who can nap, do so the afternoon before you go to work. The longer you can sleep, the better.
-----If you can't nap, then just stay up all night and ensure you moderate your caffeine/sugar/whatever intake throughout the night. Don't drink five coffees in the first hour, even if you think you need it to get past midnight! You'll be dead by "lunch".
-----Be VERY aware of your ability to drive home the first few days. I was usually good the first day or two during shiftwork, but would be dangerous on the drive home by the third and fourth day. I'm not sure why, but this was my pattern. I honestly could have killed myself a few times, and should have napped in my car before attempting to drive home, I was so tired. These were 12 hr days, 7 days/week types of shiftwork, so it's a bit extreme, but you should expect a similar response from your body, especially if you've never been on 3rd shift.

Sleeping: I either wrapped a pillow-case over my eyes or had a sleep mask. I didn't want to black out the room, because it's nice to take the mask off and have natural sunlight wake you up when your alarm goes off, and not have the urge, like early 1st shift days, to hit the snooze 100 times. Like 1st shift, this depends on time of year and DST, of course, but it works very well in the summer. BAM! Bright light and I'm up at 1600, ready to do whatever.

Off days: I wouldn't suggest that you try to readjust on your off days. You'll feel off during your days off and will be a zombie again for the first night (at least) when you go back to work. Stick with a 3rd shift schedule, as best you can.

//

When I was single, I loved 2nd shift, and often volunteered for it when we went into period of shift work. The added shift pay differential didn't hurt either!

Once I had my first baby, 3rd shift was great, even though it was only four six weeks or so. I was also taking an online course that required a lot of reading, so coming home at 08-0900 and reading for a few hours before going to bed was manageable, not to mention the at-work reading I was able to do when things were slow, since, unlike first shift, the place was a ghost-town (i.e., I didn't need to pretend to be busy when things were dead, and was able to stay alert by studying - awesome perk!)

When I woke up in the afternoon, it was to eat dinner and spend another couple of hours with my family before heading off to work. I considered this another benefit, since I was waking up fresh, spending time more alert and happier with my family, instead of being a zombie, which would be my state after many first shift days.

Finally, there were fewer "managers" around during 3rd shift, so things were ALWAYS more productive! For minor complications, people are usually more apt to find the answer themselves than wake up a supervisor in the middle of the night. During first shift, having multiple supervisors only a phone call away means more stopped time and more people second-guessing your decisions (sometimes.) The way our business sometimes worked, is that 1st shift would debate over how best to more forward through a problem, second shift would try to sell it to the higher-ups and then prepare for it, then 3rd shift, with fewer people involved, would get it done, usually without any need for the help of higher-ups. We were able to figure it out and find a path forward through almost every minor roadblock, instead of coming to a full stop!

//

Sorry, that was long. I guess I mean to say that, for a young man or someone who wants to keep a somewhat normal sleep schedule, 1st or 2nd shift is best. For someone who has a family, especially with two working parents, 3rd shift works out logistically (though you never get to sleep with your wife, except for your days off - that can be exciting, like dating again!!!)

That was a well written and informative post, thank you! I'm only 28 and am single with no real desire for a dating life, so shift work does not bother me at all really. Was planning on my days off to keep around the same sleep schedule. I plan on adding some better lights in my garage and will try and tinker out there the best I can (thinking noise level here). The pay differendum is a perk as well and I could eventually transfer to daylight (and anywhere in the country if I choose to) once I get more training in a couple areas I do lack.

My plan so far is to come home, shower, and get to sleep. Wake up around 3pm to 4pm, make dinner, and do a couple odds and ends around the house before heading out around 8pm. I generally function on about 6-7 hours of sleep right now working 2nd shift so I hope to keep that trend.

Delta, I don't know that you ever really adjust. IMO, you just kind of make it work for yourself and your family. It's worked for me all this time because we are a one income family and I have 4 kids. You will typically make more money being a shift worker. I started this life when I was 26.

I've done a rotating 12hr shift for the past 22yrs. You work either 4am-4pm or 4pm-4am. In a perfect world, it works out to be 15 shifts a month and the rest is off time. Have I ever had a month where I only worked 15 shifts? Maybe once or twice. I work a lot of OT. 60hr weeks are typical, with a few 72 and 84's mixed in. I am a production tech for a series of air separation and hydro-chem plants (all at one site). These are processes that run and are staffed 24/7/365.

Last edited:
The theory is it's best to keep to the same schedule even on your days off. There are problems with that approach of course, in particular how to maintain a social life.

Some people tolerate shift work and some people don't. And some people really like straight nights. You have to try it to find out.

I did some amazingly shift work during my medical training - basically a 40 hour week plus all day/all night every 3rd or 4th day, including weekends. That means I often worked 32 hours straight, and generally put in 75 - 90 hour weeks. Some nights I got to sleep off and on after midnight but some nights I didn't even get to lay down. It was sort of tolerable when I was 30 but I barely made it through a year of that when I was 40. In theory and in practice, tolerance to crazy shift-work diminishes significantly with age.

There are problems with those medical training schedules. You can't think very well towards the end of 32 hours straight (I'm quite good at math yet I had to check calculations over and over to make sure I didn't make errors). It's apparently not uncommon to find medical residents asleep at the wheel at a stop sign - though that never happened to me. And if you try and do any reading you can't remember what you read the next day anyway.

My advice - do it for a while if you want, but get onto days or evenings as soon as you can.

Originally Posted by Delta
That was a well written and informative post, thank you! I'm only 28 and am single with no real desire for a dating life, so shift work does not bother me at all really. Was planning on my days off to keep around the same sleep schedule. I plan on adding some better lights in my garage and will try and tinker out there the best I can (thinking noise level here). The pay differendum is a perk as well and I could eventually transfer to daylight (and anywhere in the country if I choose to) once I get more training in a couple areas I do lack.

My plan so far is to come home, shower, and get to sleep. Wake up around 3pm to 4pm, make dinner, and do a couple odds and ends around the house before heading out around 8pm. I generally function on about 6-7 hours of sleep right now working 2nd shift so I hope to keep that trend.

One thing I forgot to mention, and this might be only because our shift work was cyclic, meaning I'd be on 3rd shift for six weeks, and then maybe on 1st for the rest of the year possibly. In other words, I wasn't ever on permanent 3rd shift, except when I sailed. I often had the balls-to-4 watch then, which isn't quite the same thing, either.

Sleep:

1st: I could never get enough - I wanted to stay up late, to hold on to every bit of time off I could. Then, I'd wake up with too little sleep and none to happy about it. I love my job, but working long hrs can get old quick when things are busy.

2nd: I never got too little sleep. The problem, is that one night up too late (e.g., staying up to play some new video game or stay out with friends until 4 in the morning) can ruin your off-work productivity and cascade into a habit of staying up, even if there's no reason to; so, you waste your time off and get nothing productive done. If I could maintain my discipline, I'd be able to get to sleep by 0100 and wake up by 0900 (perfect amount of sleep), with a few hours to get some errands run or chores completed...or just veg out with a coffee and watch some TV before work.

3rd: Similarly to 2nd, I always got plenty of sleep, though one thing was drastically different. Even after I got used to sleeping on 3rd, I found that I never needed as much sleep as usual. I was sleep about as many hours as I typically did on 1st shift (6 hrs ave.) but I always woke up relatively refreshed, instead of groggy and out of it. Might have something to do with waking up to full sunlight at times, too; that, or I just really hate mornings - both equally likely!

Still, no matter how long I was on 3rd I would always be more tired than I ever was at the end of a 1st shift day. If I had stay up to be somewhere or do something after 1000, I was miserable and could not wait to crawl into bed when I finally got home. Having to stay late at work for "all-hands" training was even more brutal!

Darken the room. A noise maker or fan helps too. Many will say keep the midnight schedule even on the off days. But I could never do that.

Be sure not to short yourself on sleep. It is easy to do when it is light out and you want to get things done.

I did that 3rd shift-stuff for 4-5 years.Going to bed as the sun was about to rise was hard to adjust to. Be sure to quiet the indoor phones and good luck keeping your dog(s) quiet during the day.

Man I hated those working hours with a passion. It made me depressed leaving for work.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
I did that 3rd shift-stuff for 4-5 years.Going to bed as the sun was about to rise was hard to adjust to. Be sure to quiet the indoor phones and good luck keeping your dog(s) quiet during the day.

Man I hated those working hours with a passion. It made me depressed leaving for work.

I might have eventually felt the same thing, if I was on 3rd for longer.

For the OP reading my posts, I want to reiterate that my time on 3rd was only ever around 6 weeks at a time, or so; someone going on 3rd semi-permanently will need to really consider the impact on his or her social and family life. 3rd, in short stints, worked for me at the time, and I still think it's better for someone, like me, who has a family, especially if the hours are as you describe (with tons of time off!)

I'm sure I'll get adjusted, just trying to make it as easy I can to transition. I will more than likely be on 3rd for more than a year before I'm allowed to job bid to 1st or 2nd. Honestly I'd rather not be on 1st; I'm not a morning person at all anymore. Thanks all for the suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back