Popular Science Magazine 1976

Status
Not open for further replies.
That compact car test... Pinto, Vega, and Gremlin
eek.gif

But is it weird that I really like that blue Torino Squire wagon? (page 75)
lol.gif

I remember that PS article very well. It was the first time I had seen an article on synthetic oil. I believe it was almost two years later that Mobil I became available in our area. Started using it then and have used it ever sense. I finally stopped subscribing to MS when I could not longer find anything I could relate to. Stopped taking Motor Trend recently for the same reason. Nothing in it I could relate to.

Last edited:
I remember that PS article very well. It was the first time I had seen an article on synthetic oil. I believe it was almost two years later that Mobil I became available in our area. Started using then and have used it ever sense. I finally stopped subscribing to PS when I could not longer find anything I could relate to. Stopped taking Motor Trend recently for the same reason. Nothing in it I could relate to.

That was a seminal moment in consumer usage of syn oils. Its like Mobil paid Pop Sci to put it on the cover or something. Did a lot to sell it. It hooked me back then.

Originally Posted by Danno
Interesting that what we call "dino" oils today were called "mineral" oils back then.

How the messaging has changed.

Don't we still call them mineral oils today? From Mobil1:

What are Synthetic Oils?
A synthetic lubricant contains more highly refined base oils than those used in conventional mineral oils, offering you superior protection and performance. Synthetic engine oils provide a variety of benefits that keep your engine running at optimal performance for years.

Types of Engine Oil
There are two basic types of engine oil available:

1. Conventional mineral oils are the traditional types of engine oil and are still most widely used.
2. Synthetic motor oils which are steadily growing in popularity.

"Fossil fuels" is probably more along the lines of what he meant. All it is is a negative connotation to try to bias consumer preference, and to make the uninformed believe the hype.

Germany was synthesizing fuels and oils long before they were commercially available. Heck, you can turn used fryer oil from KFC into a viable fuel with relatively minor fuss, as long as you can deal with the urge for munchies while driving
lol.gif

Guy in the article said he's going to do "100,000 mile oil change intervals" haha either he's b.s.'ing the readers or he tried that and his engine probably seized up at 3001 miles
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by carviewsonic
eek.gif

lol.gif

I remember how dreadful and lousy American made compact cars of the 70s were. I'm guessing they were probably the worst cars that have ever been on the roads.

Interesting that what we call "dino" oils today were called "mineral" oils back then.

They are still called Mineral everywhere but North America

Last edited:
A good friend's father was a salesman who did a lit of driving. He started using Mobil 1 around 1975 and followed the 25,000 mile OCI back then. His engines lasted hundreds of thousand of miles. I started using synthetics in 1989 and immediately doubled the miles for my OCI. Nowadays I go farther than that. I've been sold for a long time.

Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver
Interesting that what we call "dino" oils today were called "mineral" oils back then. ...

They are still called Mineral everywhere but North America
They're still mineral oils in North America, too. Only the ignorant believe they're made of rendered dinosaur fat.

Dino oil is just BITOG slang
laugh.gif

I like how the how the 6 cylinder Ford Granada only got 11 MPG city, but still took 18.2 seconds to go 0-60 MPH.

Originally Posted by carviewsonic
eek.gif

lol.gif

Brings back memories of when I was doing my university studies and drove a brown Vega.

I rebuilt the engine twice and the carb 5 times. One carb rebuild was done in the middle of an intersection on a cold rainy day. I kept a set of tools with me to do just that with a few carb rebuild kits just in case.

I became known for quick carb rebuilds.

Originally Posted by wdn
I like how the how the 6 cylinder Ford Granada only got 11 MPG city, but still took 18.2 seconds to go 0-60 MPH.
I tested a new 1975 (first year of catalytic converters on most cars) one of those. It managed 16 mpg cruising at a steady 60 mph, and 0-60 in about 19 seconds when burdened with 450 pounds including passengers. Impressive, huh?! It felt even slower than that. GM was quicker to take advantage of catalytic converters to improve efficiency above the nearly universally dismal 1974 (pre-converter) level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back