Michelin Defender LTX M/S 2 year 20+K mile review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Checking back in with a review of my Michelin tires on my 4Runner. I've had these on the truck for 2 years now and about 20,500 miles. So far so good, the tires are still the best set I've ever had on this 4Runner in the nearly 100,000 miles I've put on it. I'm still really really impressed with how well these tires do everything. They're still not an off road tire but they continue to impress off road in a light 4wd SUV. Tread wear continues to be superb with 5k rotations. Wear is even and flat across the tire and they're as quiet now as they were on mile one. Despite being parked outside in the Florida sun they're still soft and pliable with no signs of cracks anywhere. Rain performance is still exceptional.

Previous tires used on the truck were BFG All Terrain, Firestone Destination AT, and GoodYear Wrangler Radial All Terrain.

Click here for 8 month 10k review------->Previous review 10k

Click here for initial impressions after 3k------->3k initial impressions

I'm sure there will be the standard Michelin bashing and Michelin defense arguments but let's please keep it civil.

thumbsup2.gif
Thanks for the update (I originally missed the other two so am now caught up)

It'll be time for new rubber for the 4Runner in the spring, and it'll be these tires.

Originally Posted by JLTD
thumbsup2.gif
Thanks for the update (I originally missed the other two so am now caught up)

It'll be time for new rubber for the 4Runner in the spring, and it'll be these tires.

Not sure where you're at in the country but aside from severe ice and snow traction I think you'll be exceptionally pleased based on my limited 20,000 miles of experience. Please report back once they're on!

Michelin are the GREATEST TIRES IN THE WORLD........until they dry rot and crack.

Originally Posted by CKN
Michelin are the GREATEST TIRES IN THE WORLD........until they dry rot and crack.

I knew it was only a matter of time before the inevitable Michelin bashing started.

For me if these tires make it another year without being hard and useless in the rain it's a huge win as the Goodyear tires these replaced were absolutely junk in 3 years and 35k despite being stored in a garage with the vehicle on Jack stands for a full year of that 3.

I'll continue to update throughout their life. But Michelin has a 6 year warranty against structural rot.

I put a set of these on my 4Runner in Nov '17 and have zero complaints. Took 3 tries to get them balanced correctly, but this was Sears' fault...original installer had 1 not fully seated on the bead, and didn't remove the old balance weights. See also: Ron White "Sears Tire Guy" bit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii8rC6CPCvM

They hook very well in rain and snow, and corner very well in dry conditions. Extremely quiet at highway speeds, and smooth ride since the balance issues were fixed.

I've not been a Michelin fan by any means, but the well-worn Premiers that came on our used Subaru Forester really sold me on their quality. Less than 2mm of tread showing above the wear bars when we got the vehicle, but they were incredibly smooth/quiet/sticky. Cornered like a slot car, and never (that I could detect) activated the ABS during hard braking. New set of the same went on it.

Originally Posted by CKN

Unfortunately this has been my understanding as well. They are super quiet, ride well, and last a long time tread-wise, but every set of them my family has had were cracking after 2-3 years. For the premium price they command it's just a disappointment.

I hope the OP doesn't have this issue, as the tires are usually great otherwise.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Originally Posted by CKN

Unfortunately this has been my understanding as well. They are super quiet, ride well, and last a long time tread-wise, but every set of them my family has had were cracking after 2-3 years. For the premium price they command it's just a disappointment.

I hope the OP doesn't have this issue, as the tires are usually great otherwise.

Their warranty covers dry rot out to 6 years if a set was that bad in 2-3 years that's well inside the warranty period.

I also hope that they last, over 2 years in now and they still look fantastic. Will update in another year and another 10,000 miles.

Thanks for the update. I've had OE Latitudes on 3 different vehicles now, and have hated them all. They were seriously some of the worst tires I've ever driven on. I would definitely consider the Defender M/S as replacements though. I had a set of the old LTX M/S (originals), and loved them.

Not once have my various Michelin tires dry rotted or cracked. All have reached their wear limit without drama.

I drive a lot, but mostly in rental cars. My cars don't see high miles per year. My wife and I are currently about 12,000 miles per year per vehicle.

So plenty of Florida "sun" time on the tires. I rarely use any form of protection or tire shine.

This Michelin Defender LTX tire has a 50,000 miles warranty, so why bother with so many reviews (3K, 10K, and 20K miles) when you haven't even reach its half-life mark. People will be more interested in your review when your tires are at the 30K, 40K, and 50K miles marks.

Originally Posted by camryrolla
This Michelin Defender LTX tire has a 50,000 miles warranty, so why bother with so many reviews (3K, 10K, and 20K miles) when you haven't even reach its half-life mark. People will be more interested in your review when your tires are at the 30K, 40K, and 50K miles marks.

It's always a good idea to skip threads that bore or annoy the reader. Some readers may be interested in these updates. Just a thought.

Has to be the #1 all season tire for the last twenty years...first intro'd as the Harmony put them on my then late model '97 CRV then LTX went on the '95 T100 , '00 Taco ...when you want the best this is it right down to the last 2/32 even further without snow.

Got them on my 2004 Toyota Tacoma. First set of tires on the truck that balanced out (Firestone's did not) and have good traction in rain and snow (B.F. Goodrich did not).

Originally Posted by camryrolla

Actually it's 70,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back