New Oil Refiner (Frantz) purchased from Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been debating installing a bypass setup on my truck for some time now (years) and ended up purchasing a brand new oil refiner from Ed Greany. I couldn't possibly be more pleased with his customer service, the quality of his product, or the price, heck I called on Wednesday and I had the full kit in hand today on the opposite side of the country. For those not aware this is the latest and greatest model of the Frantz evolution of filters, takes standard rolls, no unwrapping or trying to stuff the filter into the canister. It should be easier to service than the traditional Frantz.

I really don't like drilling new holes in my truck so I will have to get creative in order to mount the filter, I will be building brackets this weekend then I will order up any AN fittings I don't have on hand to plumb it in. Feed and return lines will be -4AN. Return will be plumbed to the cylinder head and will drain back to the pan via the timing cover.

I'll update as I build brackets and eventually get everything plumbed and running.

Originally Posted by Linctex
For the 4Runner that has tons of miles and posts up almost NO wear in the oil samples?

The 4Runner does have a few miles on it now, actually rolled 341,000 this morning bringing the other half to the airport. As for almost no wear, I wouldn't go that far it averages 2.4-3.0 ppm Fe per 1,000 miles. I don't expect a bypass to change that, however I'm curious to see if a bypass can extend the oil service life by getting insolubles under control. I haven't extended out my intervals past 5,000 because despite good steady wear the insolubles have been quite high. I know that just because there's high insolubles that alone isn't reason to condemn the lube, but it does indicate the need to pay attention for a potential up tick in wear. If the bypass enables me to extend oil life out to 10k while keeping insolubles in check and wear consistent on a ppm Fe/1k basis that's a win for me.

Odometer earlier today on the way home from delivering the other half to the airport.

20181020_082227.jpg

We all know you had the rear jacked up and the vehicle was not moving while you took that...
48.gif

Impressive accumulation of miles! The new style Frantz is nice. Regular Scotts 1000 without fussing with it is a bonus.

I'm surprised someone hasn't modded an older Frantz to take coreless rolls with the 1/2 inch hole and no cardboard tube.

Looking forward to learning more about and the results of this latest version. Knew they were being made but don't understand how it works compared to other older version. Nice to buy from vets. Their dual adapter is interesting as it is a supply and return all in one and fits under a full flow filter. These can be transferred to the next vehicle, one time purchase. Might want to check dipstick oring, filler cap, and rubber air boots on the engine in case there is an entrance point for dust.
My reasoning is from lawn mowers. The new mower I got has no oil drain technology and some of it was to make sure all dirt entrance points are sealed tight.

Originally Posted by goodtimes
Looking forward to learning more about and the results of this latest version. Knew they were being made but don't understand how it works compared to other older version. Nice to buy from vets. Their dual adapter is interesting as it is a supply and return all in one and fits under a full flow filter. These can be transferred to the next vehicle, one time purchase. Might want to check dipstick oring, filler cap, and rubber air boots on the engine in case there is an entrance point for dust.
My reasoning is from lawn mowers. The new mower I got has no oil drain technology and some of it was to make sure all dirt entrance points are sealed tight.

The engine is sealed up nice and tight. The sandwich adapter is interesting to me but I'm not sure how it works or flows compared to the traditional way of plumbing a bypass with a supply and return. As in how does it get enough differential pressure to force oil through the bypass filter. If it gets pressure from the dirty side of the stock filter and returns it to the clean side the delta p between those two sides of the adapter isn't that much 1-5 psi maybe. So very little flow. The way I'm plumbing mine the inlet of my bypass filter will have 25-80 psi depending on RPM and the outlet will have 0 since it's just dumping back in unrestricted to the cylinder head/ timing cover. Granted the flow through the filter is limited by an inlet orifice but the more pressure I put to it the more oil I will clean. I'm going to build brackets tomorrow for the filter. Then I will order whatever AN fittings I don't already have to plumb the supply and return lines. Hoping to have it actually filtering oil perhaps by next weekend if parts arrive in time.

Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3
Then I will order whatever AN fittings I don't already have to plumb the supply and return lines. Hoping to have it actually filtering oil perhaps by next weekend if parts arrive in time.

Ask fellow hangar mate friends at the airport for spare, random fittings. That's all my setup is made from. I ordered nothing.

And do not make the same mistake I did. There are 2 different AN fittings for hose and tube. I didn't order the correct ones.
Luckily I have a local Pirtek that had what I needed. In and out in 30 minutes with hoses.
Also in hydraulic world, I learned JIC and AN interchange readily.

Last edited:
Made some progress on brackets to hold the filter in without drilling any holes today. As I type this up they're currently drying following a coat of rust converter then self etching primer and they have the first coat of paint on them now.

Sorry for the trial install picture being sideways I forgot to turn my phone when I snapped that picture.

20181021_130101.jpg

20181021_130054.jpg

20181021_130046.jpg

20181021_130041.jpg

20181021_130029.jpg

20181021_121804.jpg

Originally Posted by beanoil
And do not make the same mistake I did. There are 2 different AN fittings for hose and tube. I didn't order the correct ones.
Luckily I have a local Pirtek that had what I needed. In and out in 30 minutes with hoses.
Also in hydraulic world, I learned JIC and AN interchange readily.

Good looking out. No worries I'm plumbing it all with steel braid as that's what I already have and it's nice and durable as well as abrasion resistant. I already have a good majority of what I need leftover from other projects. Really just need a couple 90 degree 1/8 npt to -4AN fittings and a couple of straight hose ends. I think I already have enough steel braid on hand. Oh and I'm buying a -4AN tee that's male on two sides and female on one side as it will make the installation onto my current remote oil pressure sending unit seamless and clean.

Picked up a 12 pack of filters for the 4Runner today at work. Total cost? A whopping 74 cents each. I will load the first one in prior to placing the filter in service since the Scott 1000 is denser and tighter wrapped than the paper that came in the filter from Ed.

15402379820281023499052.jpg

What are you going to do with Ed's roll?

It went in the guest bathroom, it was fluffy and not all that tightly wrapped like the Scott 1000 and didn't fit nearly as tight in the canister so I have already swapped it for the full Scott 1000 roll. The full Scott 1000 roll does fit as advertised and is a nice snug fit in the base and cap of the filter. I'm impressed.

Does anyone have a source for a lab to do Particle Counts on oil samples? I'd like to get one before I add the filter and prior to the first TP roll change to compare but don't want to pay for a full Blackstone Analysis with PC on oil with only 1,000 miles on it and again in another 2,000-5,000 miles.

/
What are you going to do with Ed's roll?

It went in the guest bathroom, it was fluffy and not all that tightly wrapped like the Scott 1000 and didn't fit nearly as tight in the canister so I have already swapped it for the full Scott 1000 roll. The full Scott 1000 roll does fit as advertised and is a nice snug fit in the base and cap of the filter. I'm impressed.

Does anyone have a source for a lab to do Particle Counts on oil samples? I'd like to get one before I add the filter and prior to the first TP roll change to compare but don't want to pay for a full Blackstone Analysis with PC on oil with only 1,000 miles on it and again in another 2,000-5,000 miles.

I saw this company on the "other" Frantz filter website. Don't know what they charge to include particle count. Other Frantz sells the basic analysis from these guys for $15.

http://theoillab.com/

I will do some checking around. I think a PC is the easiest way to show improvement or change as I don't expect the wear metals to change.

I will do some checking around. I think a PC is the easiest way to show improvement or change as I don't expect the wear metals to change.

Most likely the ONLY way.

Originally Posted by Linctex

Most likely the ONLY way.

Good news, PC sample for "before" has been submitted. No results yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back